Ever heard of the Fort Wilderness Pioneer Club or Frontier Club?

I spent an inordinate amount of time at the outpost in July. While hanging around waiting, checking in & out multiple times, I had more chance to talk with CMs than I normally would have. We discussed the changes over the years and also talked about various rate codes. One of them, mentioned the longtime guests saying that some "old timers" still had carry-over discounts as members of what I think he called the "Pioneer Club". It was a month ago so I might be remembering wrong and he may have said "Frontier Club" instead of Pioneer.

Either way, I've searched using both terms and can't locate any reference to either term in connection to campsites at the fort. When I was a teenager, my grandparents used to snowbird in Ormond Beach and had friends who were full-timers at the fort. I vaguely remember there being something special so what he said triggered curiousity as I thought all those discounts were abolished years ago.

I thought it might be an interesting piece of fort history/trivia to explore - assuming it actually existed. Does anyone have any information on this club for fort old-timers, by chance?

Pam-

It sounds like you may be talking about the group that calls itself the Northern Pioneers.

They show up at the Fort in January, and are usually gone by spring break time in March.

They usually take over a loop or two of the full hook up sites, and set up this display:

100_9333.jpg

100_9334.jpg

100_9335.jpg

I don't much more about these folks.

I asked about them once in an early trip report, and one of our members posted this response:

100_9078.jpg

NORTHERN PIONEERS

Hi TCD! I'll step forward and admit that my DH and I are members of the Northern Pioneers. Most of us, but not all are northern snowbirds. Our group was formed out of our love to stay at the fort and desperation to be able to afford it. In 2011 our group had 77 sites reserved for a minimum stay of 30 nights...with a maximum stay of 90 nights from January 2 through April 1, 2011. Most of our members do prefer the quietness of the full hookup sites but there are some of us that like being in the preferred & premium loops. We have a great "leader" who negotiates with Disney so that we can stay at our second "home".

Susan

This is probably the group you are thinking of.

TCD

Northern Pioneers group was formed just a couple yrs ago. I'm wondering if the CM was talking about the old winter settler rates? They were before my snowbird days. I believe snowbirds could lock in discounted rates for several years. Once those good ole days were over someone came up with the idea to form a club and get a group rate for those who want to spend more than 30 continuous days at FW.

I forgot about the Northern Pioneers but I don't think he was talking about that. We were having a problem adjusting my rate to where it should have been when I extended and the discussion started about how the fort was like an airline flight or cruise where everybody's rate was different due to so many possible codes floating around out there.

That's when he mentioned that some people rarely ever leave the fort and said some of the "old timers" had Pioneer (?) Club rates. He didn't mention anyone specific of course, like Hilda or that other guy, but those are who I guessed he might be talking about. It made me think of the old winter rates that you used to be able to lock in and I'd thought those long gone. It'd be nice to think some people were grandfathered in when they changed the system.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the term he used was Settlers Club. That's entirely possible. I was pretty preoccupied trying to figure out where WDTC had sent my missing documents. Think I'll search Settlers Club too. I'm just curious...

I forgot about the Northern Pioneers but I don't think he was talking about that. We were having a problem adjusting my rate to where it should have been when I extended and the discussion started about how the fort was like an airline flight or cruise where everybody's rate was different due to so many possible codes floating around out there.

That's when he mentioned that some people rarely ever leave the fort and said some of the "old timers" had Pioneer (?) Club rates. He didn't mention anyone specific of course, like Hilda or that other guy, but those are who I guessed he might be talking about. It made me think of the old winter rates that you used to be able to lock in and I'd thought those long gone. It'd be nice to think some people were grandfathered in when they abolished the old system.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the term he used was Settlers Club. That's entirely possible. I was pretty preoccupied trying to figure out where WDTC had sent my missing documents. Think I'll search Settlers Club too. I'm just curious...

If it isn't the Northern Pioneers you're talking about, then I don't know.

I do know that the trick used by the folks currently on long term stays at the Fort is to have a family member as a castmember. I don't want to discuss anyone's personal business, but I don't think some of them would become castmembers if there was some other discount rate out there.

I have never heard anyone mention the Settler's Club, so if it exists, it is a closely kept secret.

TCD

I have never heard anyone mention the Settler's Club, so if it exists, it is a closely kept secret.

me either. That's why I thought it was interesting...

We use to belong to the snowbirds club. You had to book for a minimum of 30 days. The rate was good for January 1st to Presidents day weekend. They would have a meeting in Feb every year to announce rates. There were only so many openings and if u didn't use it 1 year you were dropped. The last year it was available we paid 28.00 per nite. I would love to see those rates again.