Haunted Mansion - construction update. BEHIND THE SCENES VIDEO

We got a peek over the construction walls in November from the river boat, but back then it was just a big pile of dirt and not much to see...

We got a peek over the construction walls in November from the river boat, but back then it was just a big pile of sand.

5442383264_d101a059b8_z.jpg

5441800745_862cfbdafa_z.jpg

Update posted today on WDW Magic...

Feb 15, 2011

There is a great deal of progress to see this week on the expansion of the Haunted Mansion queue. I don't think most of us realized quite how big of an expansion this would be, but these shots show a lot of brand new structure being built, and just how extensive this upgrade is. The purpose of the new queue area is to provide streamlined access for wheelchair guests through the main queue, and to introduce new interactive elements to the experience. The Mansion remains open as normal during the work, but there is no news yet on when it will be complete and open for guests.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Haunted-Mansion/News/15Feb2011-PHOTOS---Haunted-Mansion-queue-area-expansion.htm

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too cool!  I know when I was on the ECV last time, it was kinda cool & and kinda sucked to be on it, we had to wait in line to the "invisible horse, then someone came out and let us go right past it to the area where the grave stones are when you EXIT.  Then we waited there for someone to come out and get us, they took us in the out door, and through the "servants entrance" which was cool, and then just dumped us in the line at the stretching elevator.  I really missed the stuff on the regular way in, so hopefully this will be a nice upgrade.  Hopefully it will bring some story to the experience kinda like Expedition Everest!!!

Too cool!  I know when I was on the ECV last time, it was kinda cool & and kinda sucked to be on it, we had to wait in line to the "invisible horse, then someone came out and let us go right past it to the area where the grave stones are when you EXIT.  Then we waited there for someone to come out and get us, they took us in the out door, and through the "servants entrance" which was cool, and then just dumped us in the line at the stretching elevator.  I really missed the stuff on the regular way in, so hopefully this will be a nice upgrade.  Hopefully it will bring some story to the experience kinda like Expedition Everest!!!

The wheelchair folks don't even get to go to the stretching room anymore. You go directly to unload.  Can't wait till the new entrance is ready!

Being a big fan of the Haunted Mansion, I wish they would have more of a store to buy things from rather than the cart after you get out.  There are sooo many Haunted Mansion collectors, you would think they would get more for them to spend their money on at Disney.

Being a big fan of the Haunted Mansion, I wish they would have more of a store to buy things from rather than the cart after you get out.  There are sooo many Haunted Mansion collectors, you would think they would get more for them to spend their money on at Disney.

Agreed!!  I troll eBay all the time for HM stuff.

I love the HM. I have a few things ive collected. The doom buggie licence plate and I manager to find the hitch hiking ghost pins. Im shy 1 pin for 2 sets.

We collect all things Haunted Mansion.  Which pin are you shy?  We may have an extra. 

is there a time frame as to when they said they will complete it? What are they doing exactly? Im going in June, and I love this ride....humph, sigh

Have yet to run across anything official online that gives an ETA for completion or even any details on exactly what they're doing. 

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Posted to Mouseplanet on Monday...

Haunted Mansion changes on the way

The Haunted Mansion has been the focus of a great deal of attention this week, as the new exterior "Next Generation" queue starts appearing and the end of the attraction itself has gotten a bit of a makeover.

The new queue apparently has been expanded in two directions, both toward the Rivers of America and into the hill that formerly served as the small cemetery near the attraction's entrance. The new area is home to four crypts, three of which will reportedly be interactive, with the gravestones appearing beyond the new crypt area. The queue will apparently wind between the crypts, though another rumor predicts that the crypts will be a diversion from the queue, similar to the "Next Generation" queue that opened recently at The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

One crypt reportedly pays homage to the players of the instruments in the seance room, with images of their instruments carved into the side of the crypt, and may also include a tribute to the organist from the ballroom scene. A second is an homage to Phineas Pock, a long-storied name in the Haunted Mansion mythos and the name of the rightmost singing bust in the graveyard scene (one of the hitchhiking ghosts?the medium-height ghost carrying a carpetbag?is also named Phineas). A third interactive crypt's subject is currently unknown. A fourth crypt, across from the three interactive ones, pays homage to the sea captain that was central to the original story of the Mansion.

Inside the Mansion, the hitchhiking ghosts in the final scene have been replaced with projections of the same ghosts on screens, both in the "hitchhiking" scene, and along the final stretch, where they appear in front of you on a scrim instead of in your "doombuggy" via a reflection. We are hearing that this is temporary while work takes place to update the existing animatronic and "Pepper's Ghost" effects with new interactivity.

Full article with photos...

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9555/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

A bit more fuel for the rumor mill of what they're up to with the Haunted Mansion as posted on WDW Today...

What?s Happening in the Hitchhiking Ghost Scene of the Haunted Mansion?

February 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Last week, the Disney fan community exploded when Disney placed temporary tarps and projections of ghosts Phineas, Ezra, and Gus in the hitchhiking ghost scene of the Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom without any announcement. Rumors have indicated that new, interactive elements are coming to the Haunted Mansion, both in the queue and on the ride. We may have a clue to what?s happening inside:

If you look very closely at the Fall 2010 issues of Disney?s Twenty-three magazine, you would see this piece of concept art fairly hidden in the article on Walt Disney Imagineering. The artwork shows two guests being frightened by all three of the ghosts in what has to be projection form. If this artwork is any indication, when work on the scene is complete, guest?s reflections will have the ghosts floating around them both inside and outside of the vehicle.

Stay tuned to WDW News Today as more information on these changes to the Haunted Mansion become available.

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/6626

And more from WDW Magic...

PHOTOS and VIDEO - Haunted Mansion queue area expansion and ghost projections

Mar 03, 2011

Here is a latest look at the Haunted Mansion queue extension construction at the Magic Kingdom which is now expected to open later this month. Along with the extended queue offering more capacity and full wheelchair access, the new queue area will add a new scene to the Mansion with interactive elements.

Also coming soon to the Mansion is a new Hitchhiking Ghost scene that will use a similar projection effect to that used in Nemo over at Epcot in the Living Seas. The projected graphics will replace the animated figures and will allow a lot more flexibility in what they can do. They will appear to float around guests and can handle slow downs and stops of the ride system in a new way. Currently a temporary effect is in place with projections taking place onto black curtains, blocking the mirrors. In the final effect, the mirrors will be used as before, so you will see yourself riding along with the new animated hitchhiking ghost. For a look at the temporary effect that is in place now, head to our video browser here.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Haunted-Mansion/News/03Mar2011-PHOTOS-and-VIDEO---Haunted-Mansion-queue-area-expansion-and-ghost-projections.htm

I found a blog with a recent update and photos... things are starting to take shape!

Haunted Mansion Graveyard Construction and Hitchhiking Ghosts Update

Hello,

We got some new pics to show with you, they are of the new construction of the extended queue and graveyard at The Haunted Mansion.

100_3763.JPG

A view from the top.

100_3764.JPG

The graveyard come back together.

100_3765.JPG

100_3767.JPG

100_3768.JPG

100_3776.JPG

First of 3 in a row of pics inside the closed area.

100_3777.JPG

Pic 2- You can see the new organ in the area.

100_3778.JPG

3rd pic- This is about half of the new queue area.

100_3780.JPG

Last picture here shows the exit of the ride we believe there was a door under this black mesh. If you look there is cuts around the top of the mesh as if they are going to open this area up more.  If the rumors are true about new on ride photos added to the ride this could be where the screens would be to view your pictures.  We will have to see if any more happens here and see what happens when Disney shows off all the new changes to the ride.

As the week progressed we noticed changes to the new temporary Hitchhiking Ghosts. It was changes in the screen they were projected on. At first the screen was very tight and looked well placed. A On tues (3/1) the screens were very out of place and loose as if there was construction going on to the "mirrors" and of yesterday(3/3) the screens were placed back much better.

If you havent seen the Temp. change of the ghosts here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRupYRCUGRU

[http://alexxandmarissaaroundorlando.blogspot.com/2011/03/haunted-mansion-graveyard-construction.html/url]

thanks for all of the last minute uptodate info....has anyone heard of a date as to when it will be opened? my 4yr ds is already upset that one of his favorite rides (Snow white scary adventures) is gone, and he can't ride his goofy rollercoaster....I don't want to have to disappoint him about hm too! lol :argh: