Tents on "non-tent" designated sites/loops

Hello everyone,

Just got off the phone with WDW rez and had to accept a "full hook up" site reservation for our "tent weekend" since all the tent sites were taken. The agent tried very hard to "discourage" putting a tent on one of these sites. Actually we will be putting up 2ea 16x9 (freestanding) tents up on the site. I'm thinking we can put one on the concrete pad, running cord off the pad to secure the corners of the tent and the rain fly, and one not on the pad. Anyone have any experience trying this. We will be checking in over the next week to see if there are any cancellations. They said they don't have a "waiting list" and didn't give me much hope that this will be successful, unless of course the weather turns to poop that weekend.

Thanks in advance for any input.....

First, welcome to FortFiends!

Second, there are no "non-tent" designated sites/loops in Fort Wilderness. You can put a tent on any level of site.

Third, the people who answer the phones for WDW reservations are in a call center some place distant from WDW. Many of them have never even been to WDW, and most of them have never been to Fort Wilderness. They act like they know what they are talking about, but they don't have a clue.

Fourth, you can easily put two tents on a full hook up site. You can put one on the coquina/sand pad, and the other could be off the pad somewhere around the site. People do it all the time. Or, you can put the second tent on the concrete pad. If you set it on a back corner, you can peg down three corners of the tent, and use some kind of weighted object (e.g. a a gallon jug of water) to weigh down the fourth corner.

Fifth- what weekend are you planning to go? The reservation system is very strange, and there can be more partial sites available than they are showing to the reservation agents. It is possible to change your site level if you keep checking back.

TCD

We had our tent previously (and will again at Thanksgiving) on a premium site with my parents MH. We had a free standing tent and tied off to a few things but the weight from the stuff inside would have required a big wind to move it even without being tied down. You might check back as your dates get closer to see if a tent site is available if you really want a tent site but otherwise don't worry about it.

Oh and :insanity: and stop by the Introduction thread to get a proper Fiend welcome.

Please don't put nails in the concrete to secure your tent, if you look at site 602 you can see where some Jackwagon drove nails into the concrete to secure either a tent or an easy up, then left the nails sticking up when they left.

Hello everyone,

Just got off the phone with WDW rez and had to accept a "full hook up" site reservation for our "tent weekend" since all the tent sites were taken. The agent tried very hard to "discourage" putting a tent on one of these sites. Actually we will be putting up 2ea 16x9 (freestanding) tents up on the site. I'm thinking we can put one on the concrete pad, running cord off the pad to secure the corners of the tent and the rain fly, and one not on the pad. Anyone have any experience trying this. We will be checking in over the next week to see if there are any cancellations. They said they don't have a "waiting list" and didn't give me much hope that this will be successful, unless of course the weather turns to poop that weekend.

Thanks in advance for any input.....

I've booked sites that were more than we needed just to secure a spot then changed it as late as the day of check-in.

I'm not sure what your time frame is, but keep calling to see if you can change your res. to a partial if that is what you really want. If that doesn't work, ask upon check-in, chances are they folks at the fort can do it.

At the very least you will save on your nightly rate. If you don't want to move, it's fine to have a tent in any loop, I see it all the time.

Hey Swami, are you coming during the spring break period?

Me and my band of little pirates will be invading the Fort the 25th of March to the 30th, I'd expect a visit from the infamous Mr. Lou :) And your getting hugged, like it or not. Your not going to want to argue with me about that, it's me and the kiddos solo, I might be a bit cranky :P