Oh No, Monorail Problems

No, not at WDW, at one of the very few places where they were stupid enough to build one because they thought it was a serious mode of transportation, Sydney Australia.

You have to love this quote.

"The Monorail, which was bought by the state government this year, will be closed and dismantled within a year."

That Cherry Picker rescuing people really detracts from the "really cool looking monorail".

Good thing it was just a power failure and not a situation where people had to get out immediately.

http://www.smh.com.a...0924-26grh.html

The monorail episode of the Simpsons just popped into my head. It's even got a catchy musical number ("I said monorail!"). Phil Hartman is perfect as the voice of the sleezy monorail salesman.

You'd probably keel over laughing, Lou.

Here's the description of the episode from Wikipedia...

"Marge vs. the Monorail" is the twelfth episode of The Simpsons's fourth season and originally aired on January 14, 1993. The plot focuses around Springfield's purchase of a monorail from a conman, and Marge's dislike of the purchase. It was written by Conan O'Brien and directed by Rich Moore. Guest stars include Leonard Nimoy as himself and Phil Hartman as Lyle Lanley.

Plot

After being caught dumping nuclear waste in the city park by the EPA, Mr. Burns is fined $3 million. A town meeting is immediately held so that the citizens can decide what to spend the money on and Marge suggests that the city use the money to fix up Main Street, which is in poor condition. The town shows enthusiasm for this idea and is about to vote for it when suddenly a sleazy, silver-tongued, fast-talking gentleman named Lyle Lanley suggests that the town construct a city monorail. He leads them in a song, which convinces the town to buy the monorail.

Even though Lanley succeeds in winning over the entire town, including skeptical Lisa, Marge is unhappy with the purchase, believing that the monorail is unsafe. While watching TV, Homer sees an advertisement that suggests he become a monorail conductor, and Homer, claiming it to be a lifelong dream, immediately agrees. After a three-week course described by Lanley as "intensive," Homer is named the monorail conductor. Still feeling uneasy about the monorail, Marge decides to visit Lyle Lanley and discovers a notebook that reveals Lanley’s true intentions of running off with bags of money while everyone else falls victim to a faulty monorail. Marge immediately drives to North Haverbrook, which Lanley mentioned was a previous purchaser of one of his monorails. Once she arrives, Marge discovers that the town is in ruins, and that those still living there deny that they ever had a monorail, despite the fact that the town is covered in advertisements for it. While exploring, she meets Sebastian Cobb, the man who designed Lanley's monorail for North Haverbrook. He explains that Lanley cut costs everywhere when building it and that the entire thing is a scam.

At the maiden voyage of the monorail, all of Springfield has come out, and Leonard Nimoy is the guest of honor. Lanley grabs his money and jumps in a taxi, which takes him to the airport. The monorail leaves just before Marge and Cobb arrive. At first things run smoothly, but the controls malfunction, causing the monorail to accelerate dangerously. Meanwhile, Lanley’s flight makes a brief unscheduled stop in North Haverbrook, where Lanley is immediately recognized and brutally beaten down by the locals. Back in Springfield, Cobb tells Homer that in order to stop the train, he needs to find an anchor. Homer grabs the giant "M" from the side of the monorail and uses it as an anchor. Eventually, it latches onto a giant doughnut, stopping the monorail and saving its passengers.

The problem with monorails and many LRT, or light rail, systems, is that they can be so cost prohibitive to build and don't always serve a region efficiently that isn't densely developed. Bus Rapid Transit, or BRT, is much more cost effective and flexible to put in place, and can move more people quickly and efficiently over a wider area. Plus they don't take years of development to implement. I think politicians prefer the rail lines because they are futuristic and snazzy, and make their cities seem more urban and sophisticated. Nobody ever gets excited over a ribbon cutting for a BRT line. But they make more sense in many cases.

I love the monorail at WDW. But in the real world they are stupid boondoggles.

Here's another recent monorail failure in Malaysa.

The fire department evacuated 63 passengers using cranes. The rest of the passengers remained on board while the stalled train was pushed into Tun Sambanthan by another. The air conditioning had failed onboard the crowded two-car train, one passenger fainted and two others had breathing difficulties. Kuala Lumpur Monorail does not have an emergency walkway.

Ever wonder how you evacuate? Here's how it's done.

Open a roof hatch, climb up on the roof, walk over to the next car and wait for help.

If the entire train is at risk, same as above except walk to one of the end cars. Then using a knotted rope, make your way down from the roof over the windshield to the monorail beam. Walk until you're a safe distance from the train.

Hope you're not afraid of heights and have pretty good balance.

The problem with monorails and many LRT, or light rail, systems, is that they can be so cost prohibitive to build and don't always serve a region efficiently that isn't densely developed. Bus Rapid Transit, or BRT, is much more cost effective and flexible to put in place, and can move more people quickly and efficiently over a wider area. Plus they don't take years of development to implement. I think politicians prefer the rail lines because they are futuristic and snazzy, and make their cities seem more urban and sophisticated. Nobody ever gets excited over a ribbon cutting for a BRT line. But they make more sense in many cases.

I love the monorail at WDW. But in the real world they are stupid boondoggles.

You just made it on to Lou's Christmas card list. :)

I would die if I was on the monorail and had to evacuate. Heck, I'd probably come close if it stopped for very long along the way. I am terrified of heights. I have to close my eyes and hold on to someone near me to even be able to ride it now. Yes, I'm a wuss.