RFID bracelets coming after all?

WDW Magic has an article posted about a NextGen RFID FASTPASS bracelet, based on something that turned up in an FCC filing, including a photo of the bracelet, being referred to as "Magic Band."

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/fastpass/news/05oct2012-photo---disney-%27magic-band%27-rfid-bracelet-revealed.htm

Maybe for kids to ensure that tickets aren't shared? They have something similar on the cruise for kids for the kids activity centers.

I actually wouldn't mind it to not have to keep up with a key for those midnite - 6am runs to the comfort station

Wonder how the fastpass thing will work for passholders or will you only be able to get the advanced fastpass thingy if you book a package?

Good question. If you have to get a wristband each time you visit, that will be a pain, but I can't imagine someone hanging onto the bracelet for a year (plus how long are the batteries good for?)

Say it ain't so Mo. Say it ain't so.

I would if I could but I can't... so I won't. 8)

I knew I should have invested in that company 10 years ago.

Yeah, I'd bet this is a hefty contract.

It may still be a good investment Wal-mart is forcing all there venders to add RFID to all their packaging by 2014. So one person can walk the store with a hand held device and do inventory instead of hiring an outside company with a team of 30 to do it by hand. Also the plan is for self checkout you put your cart into a booth and it will ring up all your products.

When I was in Virginia, I noticed Giant Grocery stores has something like that in process already. You pick up a hand scanner, and as you pick up your items, you scan them yourself, and place them in your cart, then when you check out, just do something with the scanner at checkout and you are out of there. (I didn't pay any attention to the checkout process). They also suggest you bring your reusable grocery bags when you do this and bag them as you go.

When I was in Virginia, I noticed Giant Grocery stores has something like that in process already. You pick up a hand scanner, and as you pick up your items, you scan them yourself, and place them in your cart, then when you check out, just do something with the scanner at checkout and you are out of there. (I didn't pay any attention to the checkout process). They also suggest you bring your reusable grocery bags when you do this and bag them as you go.

We have that up here at Stop and Shop which has the same parent company as Giant. I use it all the time. You scan you stop and shop or giant card, then scan your groceries. It keeps a running total for you including sales. At the end you scan a special barcode at the register and then you scan your card at the register. It then downloads everything you scanned in. You scan you coupons and then pay...fast and easy. I personally love it. The store near me runs out of scanners every weekend because of the number of people using them in the store. This all used standard laser/barcode tech though and not RFID...not yet anyway.

WDW Magic is reporting that an overhead structure has been added at the turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom, with speculation that these may be RFID sensors.

More speculation and photos...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/news/10oct2012-overhead-structure-added-to-magic-kingdom-turnstiles-looks-like-an-rfid-test.htm

WDW Magic is reporting that an overhead structure has been added at the turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom, with speculation that these may be RFID sensors.

More speculation and photos...

http://www.wdwmagic....n-rfid-test.htm

I wonder if I can just use my ezpass there?