From TP... Experience from a FP+ tester

Thanks for this. I find these 2 tidbits particularly interesting...

"...this will be a boon for teens or other folks who like to sleep in on vacation. With FastPass+ you could theoretically schedule all your riding in advance for late afternoon or evening. The whole “get to the park before rope drop” mindset may change dramatically."

This is actually a good thing for us, because we rarely get to the parks before noon.

"The guest-specific labeling of the FastPass+ has me wondering what will become of the “FastPass sacrifice.” For example, my daughter Josie LOVES Tower of Terror, I can take it or leave it. Often I’ll use my park ticket to get a FastPass for ToT and give it to her"

Hoping this does NOT become exclusively tied to the guest who scheduled the FP as we've done this also.

The tap to pay part of all this sounds like it could be very useful and help cut register lines.

Looking forward to see more experiences from people who are testing this out.

I do like how I don't have to get to rope drop.. and am truly hoping they do not just out right do away with the current fast pass system because being able to supplement the fastpass + with reg fastpass would be a great added bonus specially if you randomly decide to park hop though I guess since you can change your +'s on the fly that would also make it easy that is once they roll out being able to park hop with the program...

How can people not like going to the parks without an ID.. I always get carded (well most of the time) at EPCOT and over my dead body will I leave my ID back at the campsite and not be able to drink ... its kinda a sin.. :SmileyMargarita1:

I wonder about that RD part, though, because the number of FP+ that you can schedule is limited, and they are doing away with traditional FP. Sure, if you just want to do a few attractions that you can schedule, RD won't be important. But if you want to hit a lot of stuff in one day (or if you want to ride a popular attraction twice), it would be important to hit RD for all the attractions you can't schedule or don't have room in your allotment to schedule. And RD will likely be the only time with reasonable standby waits.

One thing I do like about this is DH and I are planning an Epcot afternoon/evening by ourselves. We weren't going to be able to do TT or Soarin' because all the FP will be gone by that time, but now it might be possible. I also like not having to backtrack to use FPs or send a FP runner to get them.

I wonder about that RD part, though, because the number of FP+ that you can schedule is limited, and they are doing away with traditional FP. Sure, if you just want to do a few attractions that you can schedule, RD won't be important. But if you want to hit a lot of stuff in one day (or if you want to ride a popular attraction twice), it would be important to hit RD for all the attractions you can't schedule or don't have room in your allotment to schedule. And RD will likely be the only time with reasonable standby waits.

One thing I do like about this is DH and I are planning an Epcot afternoon/evening by ourselves. We weren't going to be able to do TT or Soarin' because all the FP will be gone by that time, but now it might be possible. I also like not having to backtrack to use FPs or send a FP runner to get them.

Thanks for sharing the link. This is the best explanation of Fastpass plus that I have seen.

I agree with the positive aspects that you mentioned in your post that I quoted above. It is a pain to have to go to an attraction to get Fastpasses, and then have to go do something else and then come all the way back. Soarin' is a good example where this is a major pain.

For folks who like to plan, this will be great. For passholders who visit frequently, not so much. One big concern I have is that the standby lines are going to be worse than they already are.

It is interesting to see that they have things like Aladdin's Magic Carpets as a choice. Seriously? Some poor dummy is going to wast a Fastpass on that?

I predict that they are going to have a major mess and public relations nightmare on their hands whenever they try to roll this out for everyone. Eventually, things will settle down. But, I am predicting there will be a lot of guests who hate this. I just can't imagine folks who only visit occasionally understanding this all and using it as it is intended.

TCD

I predict that they are going to have a major mess and public relations nightmare on their hands whenever they try to roll this out for everyone. Eventually, things will settle down. But, I am predicting there will be a lot of guests who hate this. I just can't imagine folks who only visit occasionally understanding this all and using it as it is intended.

TCD

I can address this one directly, having hosted a rally where over half of the participants had never been to Disney. Several of the events people said they wanted to attend as a rally group (Chef Mickey's, SOA, etc). I mentioned once or twice a month for a year that ADRs need to be made the first day you are able to do so. I reminded people every week for a month and even posted it the night before. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE LISTENED. My kids were the only ones that got to see Chef Mickey's and we ended up canceling the SOA and HDDR as rally events. There thinking was "I don't know what she's talking about. I've got six months to plan things."

Can you imagine telling people "hey, you need to reserve your ride times now or you'll have a two hour wait to ride things"? Not to mention the first timer finding all the necessary information to plan it. They could FP POC and then space mountain and then splash mountain and then Peter Pan and then big thunder.... oh, the walking they would do.

Totally get what you're saying Nicki. We met a couple at HS that didn't have a clue what ADRs were and didn't find out until they arrived at WDW and tried to get into some restaurants. They'd booked their trip online and apparently didn't bother to read anything more than that.

This will probably be a nightmare initially for people who at least understand the current FP system, but don't bother keeping up to date on WDW news and get blindsided when they arrive - particularly during those crazybusy times when FPs are so necessary.

I expect those people who already "don't get" FP will just continue to be baffled.

I expect those people who already "don't get" FP will just continue to be baffled.

I have often thought that it is fortunate that so many guests do not understand the Fastpass system, because if everyone understood it and used it, it wouldn't work as well as it does.

There has never been a trip to Disney for us where we haven't run into people who think you have to pay for Fastpasses. Or where I see people get Fastpasses and then try to immediately use them. Or go and get a Fastpass for Stitch. Or bother castmembers when they try to get a second Fastpass before they are eligible. I would be willing to bet that as many as 50% of guests do not understand or use Fastpass.

This new system will benefit a small percentage of guests (and I intend to be part of that small percentage), but the rest of the guests are just going to find longer wait times.

I am still waiting for the bomb to drop about them charging for Fastpass Plus. There is no way they spent all the money they have on this without it being a way to increase revenue.

TCD

I have often thought that it is fortunate that so many guests do not understand the Fastpass system, because if everyone understood it and used it, it wouldn't work as well as it does.

There has never been a trip to Disney for us where we haven't run into people who think you have to pay for Fastpasses. Or where I see people get Fastpasses and then try to immediately use them. Or go and get a Fastpass for Stitch. Or bother castmembers when they try to get a second Fastpass before they are eligible. I would be willing to bet that as many as 50% of guests do not understand or use Fastpass.

This new system will benefit a small percentage of guests (and I intend to be part of that small percentage), but the rest of the guests are just going to find longer wait times.

I am still waiting for the bomb to drop about them charging for Fastpass Plus. There is no way they spent all the money they have on this without it being a way to increase revenue.

TCD

you realize that this will in fact force you to plan prior to arrival....

TCD

I intend to be in that number too, and I AM a planner. Still, my opinion of it it all depends on how many "things" you can reserve a day. And they aren't saying. I'm also following your line of thinking on charging somehow. They have spent A LOT of money on this. Disney doesn't spend money unless they can make money.

There is an app and a website, and Disney says you'll be able to change your plans as you go. BUT, I bet it will be as easy to change your plans to ride TSM or RR later as it is to get an ADR to Chef Mickey's the day of.

IF they do away completely with the old fast pass system I would imagine it will save them a lot of money. No more printed fastpasses, no more printing machines, less people to service the fastpass machines. I would be willing to bet that adds up to quite a bit and I wouldn't be surprised if instead of paying for the new system we just loose the old system. And dont forget June ticket increases are coming up.

IThere is an app and a website, and Disney says you'll be able to change your plans as you go. BUT, I bet it will be as easy to change your plans to ride TSM or RR later as it is to get an ADR to Chef Mickey's the day of.

LOL!

I read about being able to change your return time through the app. How is that going to work, and who wants to spend their time trying to make one of Disney's crappy apps work?

For Pete's sake, their stupid resort reservation system doesn't work, how is this app going to work?

TCD