First Christmas Trip to Disney for the Buckeye Fort Family

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right time to use them when you've got an ECV that is too heavy to lift in and out of the truck 4-6 times a day. And ANY time I'm going to Epcot cause they serve the Orange Slushies and Peach Snap! ye

Heck yeah, you can come along! Just don't wear any NASCAR stuff. We like to give the illusion that we have some class.

:rofl2: Forget it, I'm out!

I went back and relinked the pictures. They should all be there now.

I have 2 more days to post and I am hoping to get to them tonight.

Our family is still in the Disney afterglow. How do I know?

I woke up to a chorus of little voices this morning singing "Go with the Flow"

I woke up to a chorus of little voices this morning singing "Go with the Flow"

That's awesome!

Sorry you didn't like Belle's cottage. But, in the photos it looks like everyone is having fun.

I'm not sure why they don't have a Fastpass machine going for this attraction yet.

I like it, but we have been lucky to enjoy it several times with minimal or no waits.

I agree it wouldn't be fun to wait a long time for it.

TCD

That's awesome!

Sorry you didn't like Belle's cottage. But, in the photos it looks like everyone is having fun.

I'm not sure why they don't have a Fastpass machine going for this attraction yet.

I like it, but we have been lucky to enjoy it several times with minimal or no waits.

I agree it wouldn't be fun to wait a long time for it.

TCD

I have pretty high standards when it comes to Disney. They are experts on creating authentic moments for their guests. I just feel this was all too rushed. I never mind waiting because when it's your turn it's great and minutes seem like hours.

They can't be perfect all the time. I know this and maybe we caught Belle on a bad day. The park was super busy, but Disney usually does a much better job. I felt like she was just going through the motions.

I have pretty high standards when it comes to Disney. They are experts on creating authentic moments for their guests. I just feel this was all too rushed. I never mind waiting because when it's your turn it's great and minutes seem like hours.

They can't be perfect all the time. I know this and maybe we caught Belle on a bad day. The park was super busy, but Disney usually does a much better job. I felt like she was just going through the motions.

Enchanted Tales wasn't as "sweet and nasty" as I expected.

You have pointed out a big potential flaw with this attraction.

The guest experience can vary greatly depending on how the castmembers perform.

You felt rushed and confused.

Not good.

Especially after a bit of a wait.

I can imagine that Belle does get a bit weary after a while.

After having done it serveral times- I have seen a lot of inconsistency. In the mirror room, we have had castmembers take the time to point out things and build suspense, while others have barely said a thing before the magic mirror trick. Some castmembers have a lot of fun with the wardrobe. Some are all business. Once, the wardrobe was broken and her face covered-that was odd. Some Belles have been very animated, others just go through the motions.

This is not a good thing.

I am not sure they thought this one through enough.

We like it, but we have had all positive experiences.

With the long wait, there are going to be a lot of guests who try it once and say never again.

It will be interesting to see if they make changes in how things are done.

TCD

Prince Charming with our prince

IMG_2696.jpg

12-30-12114.jpg

Notice our little guy who won't meet girl characters at all. He must love Cinderella too.

He only got into the picture because I told him he would get 10 souvenir dollars if he did. Note he is on the end. He knows women, especially those that consider themselves "princesses", are to be avoided like the plague. Not that he likes Princes either, Charming was just the lesser of all evils at this dinner. He would much rather meet Flynn Rider or Wreck-It-Ralph.

Photobucket is driving me nuts!

While I was posting on my trip report last night photobucket did a weird thing and the site just re-loaded without me asking it to do anything. Now the pictures I posted after that are coming up missing only occassionally when I get on or someone else does. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they aren't. I edited and re-linked them, just in case those links were corrupt somehow.

Has anyone else encountered something like that?

He only got into the picture because I told him he would get 10 souvenir dollars if he did. Note he is on the end. He knows women, especially those that consider themselves "princesses", are to be avoided like the plague. Not that he likes Princes either, Charming was just the lesser of all evils at this dinner. He would much rather meet Flynn Rider or Wreck-It-Ralph.

Wait?!?!?!? What?!?!?!

How did I not know about this until now?

It will be interesting to see if they make changes in how things are done.

TCD

Time will tell, and so will trip reports.

I'll be watching, always watching!

Love that!! Especially since it's one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite WDW shows.

Finding-Nemo-The-Musical_Full_2794.jpg

So true! They hit the nail on the head with that song!

We sing it endlessly (obviously). It's so contagious.

So far an awesome trip report. Sorry your Belle was sick.

Thanks for the compliment. I am taking notes on how not to write a trip report for sure!!!

She is finally getting back to normal just now. I am so ready for spring (or at least our March trip).

Photobucket has been a little wonky today. I've got most of your pics now.

Sorry to hear about you feeling rushed.

I thought your Belle looked adorable even if the other Belle didn't take notice!

EPCOT DAY #2

December 29, 2012

8am opening, so of course we are "on rope" at 7:10. We didn't have to wait long. By 7:15 they are letting us in. I assumed they were gonna hold us at the fountain, but they lead us (about 50 people or so that were at the turnstiles at 7:15) to the Land Pavilion.

I was the only one in the group of 50 or so that took my stroller over to the official stroller parking that is to the right before you go up the hill the the Land Pavilion. There was a cast member parking strollers but I wanted to cover mine because there was rain in the forecast. So the 2yr old and I park the stroller and grab the umbrella and the back pack. We are taking our time because we aren't going to ride Soarin' so why rush?

We walk up into the Pavilion and the 2 Soarin' cast members at the door wish us a Good Morning as we pass and then promptly follow us in and around the ramp. I realize that they had been waiting on me and I apologize for keeping them from their job. They were so nice, and we chatted the whole way down to the ride cue. We waited with a handful of other non-riders. Then I saw something interesting. The manager gathered the castmembers right in front of the walk on line (there were probably 10 CM total) and said, "They are going to be coming off in the next couple of minutes. Encourage them all to ride again. That should be perfect timing." As people came off of Soarin', they were told that the park was not open yet so they could wait there or, ride again.

After years of taking pictures for the trip report that never gets written I didn't take pictures this time. I just vacationed. MY MISTAKE!!! I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! So sorry, no pictures so far.

When our group came off it was near 8 so we hit the bathrooms instead of riding again and then were the first out the door at 8am and on our way to Test Track.

The main group walked on and Mama and the baby walked in the back to play the games. Unfortunately all the games take a card, which we didn't have, so we checked out the cars and chatted with CM's. Our group was in the first large group to come off the ride.

Next we sent our friends to Mission Space while we took the kids to Innoventions. This time they made it! Hooray.

Sum of All Thrills is a total must for our 9 yr old. I kept the rest of the kids and we played in the kid house again. Here are some pictures.

12-30-12124.jpg

Since I am too big according to the signs to come into the house, I was "allowed" to peek through the grown up hole under the roof. Here's my view.

12-30-12130.jpg

Of course, we can't do innoventions without working as a team to get the sirens to go off.

12-30-12125.jpg

We also love to play the "green house game" as my kids call these.

12-30-12128.jpg

We played here for probably 2 hours this trip and never saw anyone go through the house. I enjoyed the house during the last trip but we skipped it this trip. We did, however, totally monopolize these.

12-30-12129.jpg

There wasn't a high demand.

We left the stroller parked inside and walked over in the drizzle to Ellen's Energy Adventure.

My kids love this one too! I know, I know!! But I will ride this ride as long as they will let us. Someday they will be desperate to ride and do things other people actually want to do and we'll have to deal with the crowds.

By the time we got out of that "time suck" it was done raining. Do you see the common theme here? My kids love "time sucks." My husband does not, hence the term "time suck."

We walked over to Mexico via the short cut. It started drizzling again so we rode the Gran Fiesta. We rode the Maelstrom (or some of us rode it). We had ADR's in the UK for lunch and we had just enough time to sneak in the China movie before heading over there to check in. We checked in at 11:50 (which they rarely do but with the crowds I am sure they adjust). They told us it was probably going to be at 12:15 or later. So we settled in to wait, we were starting to get worn out.

Here's the crew.

12-30-12133.jpg

By 11:55 we were here.

12-30-12134.jpg

Ok, so maybe this picture was taken about 12:05 after our soup and salad was delivered but, hey! we were eating the good stuff by 12:15.

We love Rose and Crown! We love the food, the wait staff, the atmosphere, the drinks, I could keep going, but I'll end with the awesome coffee with dessert. You can tell it's french pressed and it is amazing. Especially considering I've been drinking Nescafe most days.

We are totally revived after this excellent meal and go to catch the "Server Amusant." We missed him the first time through. I have been watching this guy do this act for as long as I can remember coming to Disney. My first trip was in the late 90's (shortly after marrying the FortFan).

Here is the show if you've never caught it.

This annoying chef guy comes out with a whistle that he blows constantly and there is music playing from under the table that he and the waiter are carrying with chairs on it. They set the chairs down to set up the crowd area. Eventually the waiter gets on the table.

12-30-12144.jpg

He sets down 4 champagne bottles and then sets a chair on top of them.

12-30-12145.jpg

The chef blows his whistle to encourage him to get on top of the chair, which of course he does. The he gives him another chair.

12-30-12148.jpg

He doesn't just stand on the chairs, he does hand stands on them.

12-30-12149.jpg

The kids watch in awe.

12-30-12147.jpg

The mamas do too, but I don't have that picture. The dads are like "seriously??? anyone can blow a whistle and make an acrobat climb some chairs. Let's get a grand marnier."

12-30-12150.jpg

The grand finale.

12-30-12151.jpg

It's a great show. And the guy is awesome. They pack it up and disappear.

12-30-12153.jpg

We haven't done America yet! How can that be. We need to experience this. I am so glad we did because the Christmas carols The Voices of America sang brought tears to my eyes.

12-30-12122.jpg

When they were done singing, I took the oldest and the youngest to get a spot to watch the candy puller in Japan, Miyuki.

DD9 loves to watch Miyuki and always wants to request a unicorn. She must be able to see who lines up a half hour ahead because that is who she asks to suggest an animal for her to sculpt.

Here she is, on the rope.

12-30-12159.jpg

The youngest was sleeping so we hung out over here out of the sun and held places for the other kids. They came after the show started and took the spot I was standing in with the stroller and none of adults behind us minded since it gave them a better view. I still got some decent pictures of her working her magic.

12-30-12162.jpg

She is awesome to watch and it's funny to hear her talk her way through her show. I don't think she ever takes a breath. She talks non-stop. Here she is with her finished pieces. This is the first time we didn't walk away with our unicorn, but today she said she was going to donate all her candy to the hospital. Our unicorn is on the far left. She also made a fox, a flamingo and a tiger. The flamingo is a fun one to watch her make. It would be my recommendation if you find yourself on the rope at the Miyuki show.

12-30-12167.jpg

It was now time to buy some end of the trip souvenirs with all those souvenir points and get home to nap before our late night Ohana.

While everyone napped, I packed so we could take off right after breakfast tomorrow.

We have made a tradition of going to O'hana on the last night of our trip, during the last seating, so we can watch the fireworks. The kids love to get dressed up. Here they are in the lobby of the Polynesian.

12-30-12168.jpg

We had 8pm reservations. We got there and checked in at 7:40 like you are supposed to, but this place was crazy busy. Ohaba seems busier every time we come and this night was no exception. By 8:15 we were asking about our table. They kept apologizing but the people who were sitting at our table had paid about a half hour ago, but weren't getting up. We didn't sit down until near 9pm. Yes, we have have 6 kids under 9 and they were starving and tired, but we had some great food and the kids loved the coconut race.

Here's my one O'hana picture.

12-30-12123.jpg

Remember that one rule about traveling with kids that we have? Keep them fed and watered. We didn't do that tonight so Mama had to work overtime to keep them from falling into self-destruct mode which means no pictures. After Ohana we went straight back to the cabin and hit the sack. Everyone was beat.

Tomorrow is our day to leave, so only one more update to go!

December 30, 2012

We slept in. NO ROPE DROP!!!!

By 7am we were packing a week's worth of clothing, souvenirs, cabin decorations, Christmas presents and a stroller back into the Expedition in order to make it to the Contemporary for our last ADR.

After getting packed, we watched some tv before getting in the truck. We stopped at the outpost and checked out. The sticker shock was horrible. I missed my camper.

We drove to the Contemporary.

IMG_2747.jpg

We don't typically do the character breakfasts in the resorts, but our friends had a late flight that day and they had friends who swore that Chef Mickey's couldn't be missed. We figured we could catch breakfast with them before we headed out.

Here we are killing time waiting for our pager to go off.

12-30-12171.jpg

Look at that crew! We had a ball this vacation.

We were seated with a beautiful view of our favorite lake, Bay Lake.

12-30-12183.jpg

We met Goofy,

12-30-12182.jpg

Donald,

IMG_2732.jpg

and Chef Mickey.

12-30-12174.jpg

We met Pluto

12-30-12180.jpg

and Minnie too.

12-30-12184.jpg

After breakfast we said our good byes to our friends and piled back into the truck. When we left the Contemporary we turned right and went past the "Cast Members only" sign and followed the Garmin's directions past the monorail garage and then through some housing developments until we got to a toll road, I have no idea which one. Eventually we made it to I4 and headed North. We drove until about 7 or 8 that night when we made it to Columbia, SC, and had dinner with some friends and stayed the night at their place. The next day we were on the road about 9am and hit some snow after we crossed the Ohio River. Eventually made it home at around 6:30, safe and sound.

Such is the end of our Christmas Fort Trip. Thank you for your attention and your kind comments. Only 65 days until our spring break trip and maybe....another BuckeyeFortFamily trip report!

I give this report an A+!

You did and excellent job on telling the story!

And, you also get an A+ for planning. I don't think many people would realize what an accomplishment it was that you got to do as much as you did and eat at the restaurants you did during one of the busiest times of the year. And, I think this year was especially busy.

Well done!

TCD

Loved ths trip report. The kids looked beautiful for the O Hana photo. Sorry for the ignorant table hoarders... I always remain aware that others are waiting. Nice way to end the trip at Chef Mickey's. I personally liked eating there, more of a nostalgic reason than a quality thing. This upcoming trip, my daughter put the thumbs down and said she didn't want to go there. Last February we were there on Valentine's Day. We observed some unexpected drama. Mickey gave Minnie a present when she came out of the back area, and apparently it was unscripted. Minnie didn't want the gift and you could see she wanted no part of it. Mickey was thrusting it at her and she took it and dropped the package and stormed off, and then managers were everywhere. Apparently there may have been a real backstory with the cast members who were playing Mickey and Minnie. The drama was kinda funny. My 12 year old at one point said " See dad.. Even Mickey and Minnie argue".

Bravo!! Great report!

If BFF wasn't impressed with the whistle blowing, chair climber, please let me know when he is going to show off HIS skills.

I will make a special trip, camera and video camera in hand, to see it! :rofl2:

64 days left!