Let's Build A Mickey Light Post!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The board just doesn't seem complete without an authentic, hand-made Mickey Ears Lamppost out in front, does it? Here's a good set of instructions, shamelessly stolen from the good folks over at Walt'

If anyone wants a complete copy of these instructions, complete with pictures, just send me a PM including your e-mail address and I'll send them to you in a MS Word file.

I have found the solution to the purple light. I bought a black party light from Lowes and put it in the lamp and it works. It is a beautiful purple. Go to Lowes, find the party light section where they have the fluorescent color bulbs and get the black one.

Do you have the lights in the ears?

For those that have lights in the ears, where did you find a set of lights to use for the ears?

Do you have the lights in the ears?

For those that have lights in the ears, where did you find a set of lights to use for the ears?

I use ordinary Christmas lights.

MickeyLampEarLights.jpg

MickeyLampEarlights2.jpg

I cut a section with two lights, add a plug and rivet them to a metal clip which I make from metal strapping. The clip slides on to the flange of the smaller globes, inside the large globe.

My instructions are here: http://www.carol-ann...ckey%20Lamp.htm

I use ordinary Christmas lights.

I cut a section with two lights, add a plug and rivet them to a metal clip which I make from metal strapping. The clip slides on to the flange of the smaller globes, inside the large globe.

My instructions are here: http://www.carol-ann...ckey%20Lamp.htm

I couldn't tell ya where I could find those kind of lights. We have had the little bitty ones for years. Looking online, it looks like they are C7 or C9 lights. Anybody had any luck with finding any?

I couldn't tell ya where I could find those kind of lights. We have had the little bitty ones for years. Looking online, it looks like they are C7 or C9 lights. Anybody had any luck with finding any?

The bulbs are C7 I think, the larger of the two sizes . . . try WalMart in the seasonal or garden area.

• 3 weeks later...

No pictures yet, but it is finished!! :banana: I used 8" globes for the ears, because I think the 6" globes look too small. Just my opinion.

One problem I've come across though is that I didn't let the paint on the pole to completely dry, so now I can't get the pole and the connector

apart! :blink: The ears are kind of dark though, so I'm working on getting lights into them. Maybe pictures after I get that done.

No pictures yet, but it is finished!! :banana: I used 8" globes for the ears, because I think the 6" globes look too small. Just my opinion.

One problem I've come across though is that I didn't let the paint on the pole to completely dry, so now I can't get the pole and the connector.

I finished mine awhile back and used the 6" globes because I thought the 8" ones looked too big. :rofl2: As long as none of us has Mickey lamp posts side-by-side they should all look great.

I was too anxious to let my paint dry hard also! I haven't tried to take it apart so that may be a problem for me. I do have some touch up to do on the pole from now.

My grandsons and everyone who sees my lamp post is so impressed! It's so tempting to pretend it was my original idea. :dance:

I'm having a problem finding a base. Walmart never got ANY umbrella bases in this year. Home Depot and Lowes were both out of them. I can't find anything to use. I think I may have an old Christmas tree stand packed away with Christmas stuff. I may be forced to dig it out and paint it. Or I could find one on Amazon so I could get that heavy thing shipped for free.....I just thought of that.

Almost forgot: I got a "Y" socket in the electrical department of Home Depot for under $1 so I can add two bulbs. Haven't tried two different color ones yet but I plan to experiment.

I have a silly question about the plug and globe fitter....is it hard to connect these two? My boy scout DH said he can do it, but that's been almost a month (he's been busy with work, not blaming him). I tried to look up tutorials on youtube and the company website to see if I can follow some step by step guides with no luck.

I finished mine awhile back and used the 6" globes because I thought the 8" ones looked too big. :rofl2: As long as none of us has Mickey lamp posts side-by-side they should all look great.

I was too anxious to let my paint dry hard also! I haven't tried to take it apart so that may be a problem for me. I do have some touch up to do on the pole from now.

My grandsons and everyone who sees my lamp post is so impressed! It's so tempting to pretend it was my original idea. :dance:

I'm having a problem finding a base. Walmart never got ANY umbrella bases in this year. Home Depot and Lowes were both out of them. I can't find anything to use. I think I may have an old Christmas tree stand packed away with Christmas stuff. I may be forced to dig it out and paint it. Or I could find one on Amazon so I could get that heavy thing shipped for free.....I just thought of that.

Almost forgot: I got a "Y" socket in the electrical department of Home Depot for under $1 so I can add two bulbs. Haven't tried two different color ones yet but I plan to experiment.

I have had a hard time with umbrella bases, too, MM. You can do a special order through your local Publix for one of their umbrella bases. $19.99 I think. They don't carry too many on hand but can easily order them. It's in their outdoor catalog---ask Customer Service to place an order. Good Luck!

Here is a picture of mine in my office, it is a little dark in because I don't have a flash on my phone and yes, Mickey is wearing a Phillies cap.

ydx8C.jpg

Norm, Great idea putting the ballcap on Mickey!

Now, can we talk about the poster hanging behind it?! :heart: :)

Now, can we talk about the poster hanging behind it?! :heart: :)

That's an old poster, I think from 2003 or 04, Jimmy Spencer is on it. I still haven't hung up my Petty generations hood yet. The office is also grey with gren and black stripes around it. On the left wall that you can't see is a Philadelphia Eagles helmet Fathead.

Best Regards,

Norm

That's an old poster, I think from 2003 or 04, Jimmy Spencer is on it. I still haven't hung up my Petty generations hood yet. The office is also grey with gren and black stripes around it. On the left wall that you can't see is a Philadelphia Eagles helmet Fathead.

Best Regards,

Norm

:waycool:

What is everyone else using for a base? I don't really care for the plastic "fill up" ones, although maybe they would look better spray painted to match the pole.

I used to have a nice heavy cast iron one but I think I left it when I moved from WV. And I think I have a Christmas tree stand, but don't really like that idea much either.

Has anyone gotten more creative with a stand? I would love to have some other ideas.

What is everyone else using for a base? I don't really care for the plastic "fill up" ones, although maybe they would look better spray painted to match the pole.

I used to have a nice heavy cast iron one but I think I left it when I moved from WV. And I think I have a Christmas tree stand, but don't really like that idea much either.

Has anyone gotten more creative with a stand? I would love to have some other ideas.

Did you see Stefa70's, she used an old fashioned milk can. It is awesomemickeylamp014.jpg

She showed how she did it in the craft section :banana: