Let's Build A Mickey Light Post!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The board just doesn't seem complete without an authentic, hand-made Mickey Ears Lamppost out in front, does it? Here's a good set of instructions, shamelessly stolen from the good folks over at Walt'

If anyone wants a complete copy of these instructions, complete with pictures, just send me a PM including your e-mail address and I'll send them to you in a MS Word file.

Well my pole is built and my ears are glued on.

The only thing left is to paint the pole. I did mine just a slight bit differently than the instructions.

I used a toilet flange for the base (I hammer stakes into the ground through the holes on the edge of the toilet flange. My pole is in two pieces because I have a small camper and a short bed truck.

I will paint the pole blue to match the camper. The Plastic spray paint works really well.

I just hope I can get the purple PVC primer to wash off my hands.

IMG_20110605_192910.jpg

IMG_20110605_192920.jpg

I used a toilet flange at the base of my lamp, but not AS the base. I wouldn't count on the flange to hold in a wind...or good bump. I cut a 3/4 inch piece of plywood (maybe 18x18 inches)and put on several coats of outdoor paint, then bolted the flange to the wood base. I also drilled holed near the outside corners of the wood base to allow for staking it down with 8" spikes, but have not had to use them yet....at least not counting when the thing got knocked over by a large inflatable last Christmas....but I have a replacement ear to put on.

Got a question!!

How do most of you "glue" the ears to the big globe?? Last time I just used silicone caulk. Which from reading this may not have been the best thing.

What type of glue do I need??

I've got mine all built, the ear holes cut out and and the electric working. The only thing left is gluing the ears in and painting the pole blue.

I used the clear gorilla glue to hold mine together. You have to watch it though as it expands while drying and if not carefull, you could end up with glue runs.

what kind of base do you guys recommend? I need a good base to hold my pole..

I used one of those 5 gllon paint buckets from home depot. Cut some holes in the top and back and used standard plumbing piping to hold the pole straight and run the cord through. Then paint the bucket with the plastic paint and add some sand for weight. Turned out decent.

I used a toilet flange at the base of my lamp, but not AS the base. I wouldn't count on the flange to hold in a wind...or good bump.

I never had a problem with my previous lamp post and I used the same method. Like I said, I drive the 8" nail stakes through the holes around the edge of the flange. Four of them. It has never budged.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the pole painted today!!!

:D Sweet! I wish I was that far along in the process. I just bought supplies today for my first Mickey Pole lamp. My local Home Depot had all the parts on hand so I didn't have to special order anything. Good thing since I'm not very patient! I bought the 6" globes as I like the proportions of all the ones I've seen pictures of. They did have 8" globes in stock so it was a bit of a dilemma before I decided to go with the ones I've seen.

I'm thinking of ordering this color changing bulb for mine.

:D Sweet! I wish I was that far along in the process. I just bought supplies today for my first Mickey Pole lamp. My local Home Depot had all the parts on hand so I didn't have to special order anything. Good thing since I'm not very patient! I bought the 6" globes as I like the proportions of all the ones I've seen pictures of. They did have 8" globes in stock so it was a bit of a dilemma before I decided to go with the ones I've seen.

I'm thinking of ordering this color changing bulb for mine.

I've got a color changing bulb. It looks pretty cool.

What size globes are your ears?

Going a bit off topic here, but did you paint your camper yourself? It's awesome looking!

My ears are the 6 inch globes!!

That's not paint on my camper it is vinyl and yes, I did it myself. I did paint the plastic trim. It was red, and then I bought a roll of blue vinyl online and cut the ears and the lettering on the front.

Our own AuburnJen cut the Musket Mickey for me.

My ears are the 6 inch globes!!

That's not paint on my camper it is vinyl and yes, I did it myself. I did paint the plastic trim. It was red, and then I bought a roll of blue vinyl online and cut the ears and the lettering on the front.

Our own AuburnJen cut the Musket Mickey for me.

Glad your globes are 6" since they looked perfect size in the picture. It was so hard for me to judge looking at mine in person, I think I'm too close.

That's really cool about your camper! Absolutely genius to cut them from vinyl. I did a search for Disney vinyl decals and came up empty so assumed you had painted them on. I need to learn to think outside the box. ;)

I'm still trying to decide how to cut my ear holes. I have a 2.5" hole saw that I may use and try to sand the rest of the way to the circle. My dremel recently died.

That's very strange . . . because that is exactly what masking tape is not supposed to do!

It was weird, it only did that on the ears. Maybe it reacted with the goo gone that was on the ears. I salvaged the ears from my previous lamp post and cleaned all the silicone caulk left on them.

I did finally get it all off using GooGone, a razor blade and Windex.

• 2 weeks later...

What type of glue are you using to affix the ears? I used superglue which I thought worked well until I knocked the lamp over and the ears fell off. I understand I shouldn't have knocked it over in the first place. :wacko: Since I have to put it back together I figured I ask what you all are using. I didn't see anyone refer to a specific type.

What type of glue are you using to affix the ears? I used superglue which I thought worked well until I knocked the lamp over and the ears fell off. I understand I shouldn't have knocked it over in the first place. :wacko: Since I have to put it back together I figured I ask what you all are using. I didn't see anyone refer to a specific type.

Look back to post #24 in this thread for the kind of glue I use.