Let's Build A Mickey Light Post!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The board just doesn't seem complete without an authentic, hand-made Mickey Ears Lamppost out in front, does it? Here's a good set of instructions, shamelessly stolen from the good folks over at Walt'

If anyone wants a complete copy of these instructions, complete with pictures, just send me a PM including your e-mail address and I'll send them to you in a MS Word file.

I'd love to have a milk can too, but they are hard to find . . . and it would use up a lot of my valuable storeage space!

I use a patio umbrella stand - they are cast metal and weigh about 20 pounds.

Very sturdy - mine has gone through some serious storms and never blown over.

Do not use a Christmas tree stand - they are not sturdy enough.

Two friends have shattered their lamps with Christmas tree stands.

One gust of wind and Mickey is toast!

The umbrella stand is about $20.00 at WalMart.

Use a hammer and chisel to knock the hex nut off the outside of the post on the umbrella stand and your lamp post will slide right over top of the umbrella post.

I drill a couple of holes through both the lamp post and the umbrella post, add a couple of bolts and wing nuts and it's all secure!

Easy and very secure! Plus it is easy to disassemble to store and transport.

Roberta, I used an old milk jug, but they're aren't real easy to find nowadays.

march2011fort014.jpg

WOW!!!! This is, by far, the best base ever! I'll keep my eyes open for one of those. I do live in a farming area, I may just be able to find one. Love, love, love this!

WOW!!!! This is, by far, the best base ever! I'll keep my eyes open for one of those. I do live in a farming area, I may just be able to find one. Love, love, love this!

Thank you

BlushingSmiley.gif

Good luck with yours!

• 4 weeks later...

After shopping every Home Depot and Lowe's in a 30 mile radius, we had to order everything online. :rofl2: Oh well, we, I mean DH, should still have time to get one made before we leave in 24 days. We did, however, have success in finding wire wreath frames for our rope light Mickey heads at Michael's. :dance:

We looked for parts around here this weekend too, and also couldn't find them. I guess we'll have to order them online too. I'm already doubting that we will have ours in time for our trip. DH doesn't seem very excited about making one for me. :(

Is he related to my DH? :rolleyes: Mine doesn't seem overly excited either. However, I've asked him to make one for the last 2 years we've been to the Fort so he owes me. And don't you know I keep (gently)reminding him of that. ;)

Just to save you from making the same mistake I did ... buy the correct size hole saw first thing.

I had a smaller one that I already owned and tried to cheap out. :rolleyes: I thought I could shave/sand the extra 1/2". It was impossible, at least for me. So, I bought the correct size hole saw and then realized it was too late. With nothing to grab onto, the saw did not work on the holes I had already made. I ended up cracking a big chuck from the big globe and had to buy a new one. Thankfully, they are stocked locally here.

Is he related to my DH? :rolleyes: Mine doesn't seem overly excited either. However, I've asked him to make one for the last 2 years we've been to the Fort so he owes me. And don't you know I keep (gently)reminding him of that. ;)

OMG, I think your DH and mine must be brothers. I've also been asking for one for 2 years. Gently reminding mine hasn't worked yet. :angry:

You can use the smaller hole saw inside the larger one as a guide. Also a die grinder with a flap wheel will enlarge the hole easily.

I'm not that tool savvy. :rolleyes: I seriously worked on it for 3 or 4 days trying to enlarge the hole and only ended up enlarging my frustration.

All I know is I screwed it up and it cost me money to buy a new one. BUT, now I have the right tools and make more any time. :banana:

Just to save you from making the same mistake I did ... buy the correct size hole saw first thing.

I had a smaller one that I already owned and tried to cheap out. :rolleyes: I thought I could shave/sand the extra 1/2". It was impossible, at least for me. So, I bought the correct size hole saw and then realized it was too late. With nothing to grab onto, the saw did not work on the holes I had already made. I ended up cracking a big chuck from the big globe and had to buy a new one. Thankfully, they are stocked locally here.

You're talking a language I don't understand, but I hope DH does! ;D

• 2 weeks later...

The light is not done, but is being worked on. Holly, Lance said if he had know how much this thing was gonna cost him, he would have gladly made you one while he was at it. I'm still not completely convinced it's gonna be ready when we pull out of our driveway Wednesday afternoon, but we'll see. This has been an interesting project to say the least. :laugh:

The light is not done, but is being worked on. Holly, Lance said if he had know how much this thing was gonna cost him, he would have gladly made you one while he was at it. I'm still not completely convinced it's gonna be ready when we pull out of our driveway Wednesday afternoon, but we'll see. This has been an interesting project to say the least. :laugh:

LOL! Toby was commenting on the price just yesterday. He figures he'll have about $100 in it by the time he is done...and I don't think it will be done in time for the trip! Just the drill bit thing to drill the holes was close to $30. Crazy!!!

LOL! Toby was commenting on the price just yesterday. He figures he'll have about $100 in it by the time he is done...and I don't think it will be done in time for the trip! Just the drill bit thing to drill the holes was close to $30. Crazy!!!

I know! We had to have the drill bit thingy and the round saw thingy which came to nearly $60 - for just thingies! :rofl2: