Well as you can probably see I'm brand new to this site. I've never been to Disney or Fort Wilderness. Honestly I've never had the desire. However I have two little girls ages 5 and 3. They are into princesses and all princess stuff. Every day when I get home from work they are wearing little princess dresses.

The wife has talked about going for a while. Well we started RVing over a year ago...bought a used travel trailor and have really fell in love with RVing and recently bought a new one...we go all over here in Texas and probably go on one to two short trips per month. However up to this point our longest trip was about 340 miles one way. Based on google maps it's about 1150 miles from our town to Disney in FL. We discussed maybe doing this trip next year...summer 2014. Probably leave town on a Friday take two to 3 driving days down...say 4 or 5 nights then take two to three days driving back. All in all take a max of 11 days. I look forward to looking at all the threads here and learning about Disney and Fort Wilderness.

In the mean time the first real hump that is the make or break is that distance. If anyone is from TX, OK, or even LA I'd love to hear about their haul down...or if you know anyone that has posted about these trips and you'd like to provide links that would be helpful. Where did you stop along the way? I figure I'd have to break this trip up with a minimum of one over night stop but most likely two. If I can figure out a way to make this 1150 mile haul manageable I'd be much more likely to make this trip happen. I'm very comfortable driving and towing our 35' travel trailer but dang that's a looooong haul!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK CakeHenn, here's the plan: Drive to Louisiana the first night and swap trucks with Specularius. Nice photos, Specularius. You have more gauges in that cab than even Larry himself. TCD

Put us in the camp of "get there as fast as we can so we can be there as long as possible." In our case we're traveling about 1400 miles from NH. No kids, but we do bring our 3 dogs, so potty breaks

Well I want to thank everyone and this site for turning my afternoon nonproductive as far as work goes but very productive as far as planning goes. Here is what I'm thinking now so far with the sugges

Posted Images

WELCOME!!!!!

There are quite a few that make the haul from Texas and many more that make the haul from way up yonder NE. Yes, at least 1 or 2 stops is mandatory.

The FORT is a great place to take your family!!! A WONDERFUL campground that incidently has 4 great themeparks nearby and all the princesses you could wish for.

Oh, and quite honestly, I would try and make it two weeks. Otherwise you'll be driving more than you'll be at the Fort.

Another option to consider, and it might be a lot less fuel wise, is there are a couple of folks that have very nice 5th wheels, travel trailers, and popups that they rent and set up on a site at Fort Wilderness for you. Check out the advertisers, and the "Rental" thread.

Well as you can probably see I'm brand new to this site. I've never been to Disney or Fort Wilderness. Honestly I've never had the desire. However I have two little girls ages 5 and 3. They are into princesses and all princess stuff. Every day when I get home from work they are wearing little princess dresses.

The wife has talked about going for a while. Well we started RVing over a year ago...bought a used travel trailor and have really fell in love with RVing and recently bought a new one...we go all over here in Texas and probably go on one to two short trips per month. However up to this point our longest trip was about 340 miles one way. Based on google maps it's about 1150 miles from our town to Disney in FL. We discussed maybe doing this trip next year...summer 2014. Probably leave town on a Friday take two to 3 driving days down...say 4 or 5 nights then take two to three days driving back. All in all take a max of 11 days. I look forward to looking at all the threads here and learning about Disney and Fort Wilderness.

In the mean time the first real hump that is the make or break is that distance. If anyone is from TX, OK, or even LA I'd love to hear about their haul down...or if you know anyone that has posted about these trips and you'd like to provide links that would be helpful. Where did you stop along the way? I figure I'd have to break this trip up with a minimum of one over night stop but most likely two. If I can figure out a way to make this 1150 mile haul manageable I'd be much more likely to make this trip happen. I'm very comfortable driving and towing our 35' travel trailer but dang that's a looooong haul!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

We have hauled our old Airstream from OKC to the Fort. Give me a minutes and I can pull up the route and the stops we made.

Here is the trip-

Origin city - Night Stop - Mileage

Oklahoma City, OK - Terrell, TX 255 - Day 1

Terrell, TX - Edwards, MS 342 -Day 2

Edwards, MS - DeFuniak Springs, FL 334 - Day 3

DeFuniak Springs, FL - Ocala, FL 319 - Day 4

Ocala, FL - Orlando, FL 76 Day -5

The return trip took longer due to family stops along the way.

Welcome CakeHenn!!

I love your username, even though I have no idea what it means. :rofl3:

1150 miles is a long drive for sure....but you own a BEAUTIFUL Jayco trailer and a nice 3/4 ton truck just begging to pull it somewhere. So I say go for it!

Of course, keep in mind you are asking a bunch of Fort Wilderness nuts on a Fort Wilderness themed board for advice on whether you should go to Fort Wilderness. You either have already made up your mind that you want to go and are just looking for validation....or ...hmm, I forget the other option. :rofl2: So, I'm gonna tell you want you want to hear. Or at least what your wife wants to hear.

Do it!

And like Carol said above, think about making it a 2 week trip if you schedules allow it. That way you can relax, take your time and have a nice visit. Plan some park time of course, but also plan a couple of days at the Fort to just hang out and enjoy the campground. We've gone to the Fort and never set foot in a park. It's worth the drive.

Here is the trip-

Origin city - Night Stop - Mileage

Oklahoma City, OK - Terrell, TX 255 - Day 1

Terrell, TX - Edwards, MS 342 -Day 2

Edwards, MS - DeFuniak Springs, FL 334 - Day 3

DeFuniak Springs, FL - Ocala, FL 319 - Day 4

Ocala, FL - Orlando, FL 76 Day -5

The return trip took longer due to family stops along the way.

Keeping in mind we never drove more than 6-8 hours in a day. We also arrived a day too soon so that is why we stopped in Ocala. If we had done this in 8-9 hours it would have taken a day or two less.

I live outside Fort Worth. It is a very long drive to only spend 3-4 days at Disney. I recommend 5-6 days minimum if you have the time. It's important to build in lots of Fort time. Bring the bikes. Lots of nice, flat roads and sidewalks. It's very easy to spend all day, everyday at the parks and everyone ends up tired and cranky at night. Pace yourselves.

We take two days for the drive, leaving very early to avoid Dallas rush hour. Take I-20 to Shreveport, 49 south to Lafayette, 10 east to I-75 in Florida (sending the night around Milton,Fl), and then south to Disney. We make it into WDW after lunch sometime day 2. On the way back last time we went northwest near Mobile (17 to 45?) and spent more time on I-20.

Disney is a great place for grownups. You will have a great time. So will the kids.

I live outside Fort Worth. It is a very long drive to only spend 3-4 days at Disney. I recommend 5-6 days minimum if you have the time. It's important to build in lots of Fort time. Bring the bikes. Lots of nice, flat roads and sidewalks. It's very easy to spend all day, everyday at the parks and eveyone ends up tired and cranky at night. Pace yourselves.

We take two days for the drive, leaving very early to avoid Dallas rush hour. Take I-20 to Shreveport, 49 to Lafayette, 10 to I-75 in Florida (sending the night around Milton,Fl), and the south to Disney. We make it into WDW after lunch sometime day 2. On the way back last time we went northwest near Mobile (17 to 45?) and spent more time on I-20.

Disney is a great place for grownups. You will have a great time. So will the kids.

Are you hauling a trailer when you go?

We came home the Lafayette route.

Welcome....i cant help you with the route from texas....but i drive about 1150 miles to wdw from michigan.

We usually stop in tennessee or georgia the first night and srive te remainder on day two.

It can be done if you only stop to use restroom and your kids dont get super restless. In car movies are our saving grace!

Wow...I can't believe the replies already...thanks. DaveinTN....There is not question we want to go! It's just a bear of a drive and I'd be the one doing the driving...I need to get the wife to learn I guess.

For those that say stay longer yeah I'd like to. I'm self employed and a financial planner running my own practice...solo. So when a client calls I have to respond. With smart phones and wifi conections I can get away with being out of the office say 7 days as my plan of an 11 day trip permits but I'm stretching it beyond that.

I live outside Fort Worth. It is a very long drive to only spend 3-4 days at Disney. I recommend 5-6 days minimum if you have the time. It's important to build in lots of Fort time. Bring the bikes. Lots of nice, flat roads and sidewalks. It's very easy to spend all day, everyday at the parks and eveyone ends up tired and cranky at night. Pace yourselves.

We take two days for the drive, leaving very early to avoid Dallas rush hour. Take I-20 to Shreveport, 49 to Lafayette, 10 to I-75 in Florida (sending the night around Milton,Fl), and the south to Disney. We make it into WDW after lunch sometime day 2. On the way back last time we went northwest near Mobile (17 to 45?) and spent more time on I-20.

My hope would be two get to the Fort either late Saturday night or more likely Sunday and then stay until the following Friday or Saturday and then get home that following Monday (day 11). That would give me 5 to 7 nights there. I'm sure I could push one or two more days.

Question for Judy...how many miles is that first day drive??? And is that with a trailer...that seems like a heck of a drive!

Yeah we have the TV/DVD combo set up thanks to my father in law. It does come in handy. That and naps I can get them 300 miles without much issue....but 400 or 500??? Then add back to back days of that. I guess it's to be seen. But heck I'm more worried about driving that long.

The Duramax I have I bought used just recently...I tows like a champ but the weakness I've discovered is it's tiny 26 gal tank...and honestly I get to like 19 and the fuel light comes on...for that reason I'm considering a 39 gal replacement tank....if I make this trip I'm almost certain I'll want get that in order to limit my fuel stops which can sometimes be a pain when towing.

One thing we do, and we only have 690 miles, is we pull out in the evening. Sometimes I sneak out of work at 2pm, sometimes it's 5pm before I can get out, but then we get a few miles behind our belts that night. (Our goal is to get past Atlanta, but then you don't have to worry about that).

That does get us to the Fort at or before checkin time.

So perhaps you could do some miles the first night, have a long drive the 2nd day, getting into FL, then a short drive the last morning.

For those that say stay longer yeah I'd like to. I'm self employed and a financial planner running my own practice...solo. So when a client calls I have to respond. With smart phones and wifi conections I can get away with being out of the office say 7 days as my plan of an 11 day trip permits but I'm stretching it beyond that.

We had the same problem when we went for our first trip to the Fort at Christmas. DH actually worked from the trailer several of the days while the kids and I hit the parks. We would come home around 1 or 2, rest, eat dinner then hit the parks again with him.

Best of luck!!!!!

And I understand you wanting to use your own vehicle and RV. Trust me, we just did a (less than week) trip tent camping without our RV...Boo. But we were only traveling ~400 miles one way. We did calculate that we were saving some $$$ by taking our car vs the RV mileage wise.

Sooooo, all that said, have you thought about renting a camper and still staying at the Fort? You could possibly drive something with better fuel economy and save some $$$ toward the rental. Might be less stressful. And possibly a quicker travel time to and from the Fort?

But once again, hope you enjoy!!!!! Welcome.

Oh and as far as stops, try to find places right on the highway with easy on and off pullthroughs, that way you just have to hook up water and electric, and a quick tank dump in the morning. Don't try and set up or unhitch. Have easy microwave meals in the freezer to have a quick dinner without any setup.

One thing we do, and we only have 690 miles, is we pull out in the evening. Sometimes I sneak out of work at 2pm, sometimes it's 5pm before I can get out, but then we get a few miles behind our belts that night. (Our goal is to get past Atlanta, but then you don't have to worry about that).

That does get us to the Fort at or before checkin time.

So perhaps you could do some miles the first night, have a long drive the 2nd day, getting into FL, then a short drive the last morning.

This is good advice, especially with kids. We have gotten into the routine of always leaving late in the day. In this way we can typically get in a day of work or school, but then hit the road and get some miles behind us. We also like to get past Atlanta that first night like Carol. Not sure if you have to go through Houston or not to hit I-10, but if so maybe that's a way to do it.

Best of luck!!!!!

And I understand you wanting to use your own vehicle and RV. Trust me, we just did a (less than week) trip tent camping without our RV...Boo. But we were only traveling ~400 miles one way. We did calculate that we were saving some $$$ by taking our car vs the RV mileage wise.

Sooooo, all that said, have you thought about renting a camper and still staying at the Fort? You could possibly drive something with better fuel economy and save some $$$ toward the rental. Might be less stressful. And possibly a quicker travel time to and from the Fort?

I think that's a great idea for a lot of people...but we love OUR trailer and in my eyes I'd be cheating on the Eagle, lol. This is not something I'm going to consider but it would be a great idea for a family that is thinking about getting into RVing.

don't just teach her how to tow. make sure she knows how to hitch it up too.

That's actually something I need to teach Rick how to do. At this point he's actually not physically able, but if we get his back straightened out (and we are getting closer, should know if the exact problem is isolated on the 5th), he really should know exactly how.