That's actually something I need to teach Rick how to do. At this point he's actually not physically able, but if we get his back straightened out (and we are getting closer, should know if the exact problem is isolated on the 5th), he really should know exactly how.

it's good to know in theory

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK CakeHenn, here's the plan: Drive to Louisiana the first night and swap trucks with Specularius. Nice photos, Specularius. You have more gauges in that cab than even Larry himself. TCD

Put us in the camp of "get there as fast as we can so we can be there as long as possible." In our case we're traveling about 1400 miles from NH. No kids, but we do bring our 3 dogs, so potty breaks

Well I want to thank everyone and this site for turning my afternoon nonproductive as far as work goes but very productive as far as planning goes. Here is what I'm thinking now so far with the sugges

Posted Images

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but when we drove from Iowa 1330 miles each way, we always did it in 2 full days or started in the evening the previous night to get some miles down, then took an easier 2 day drive after that. I have driven trailers and a motorhome this way several times. Yes, it's not always fun, but it gets us to Disney quicker and then you can rest or just enjoy things there. Disney is like the light at the end of the tunnel....lol. If you have never been there, you will enjoy it as much if not more than your kids. When people tell me Disney is for kids, I just laugh.

One thing we do, and we only have 690 miles, is we pull out in the evening. Sometimes I sneak out of work at 2pm, sometimes it's 5pm before I can get out, but then we get a few miles behind our belts that night. (Our goal is to get past Atlanta, but then you don't have to worry about that).

That does get us to the Fort at or before checkin time.

So perhaps you could do some miles the first night, have a long drive the 2nd day, getting into FL, then a short drive the last morning.

Some additional background....My wife is a school RN so she gets summers off and this is why we would plan on going during the summer and this summer we already have several trips planned already.

I really like that idea of leaving later in the day! I could get everything hitched up say the Thursday morning and then go to work...my wife could then do whatever packing needs to be done and then during the afternoon I could come home and we could then hit the road around 3pm and drive till about 9pm. I'm thinking one stop around the 175 to 200 mile mark and then drive more..I bet we could make 300 miles. I'm just thinking out loud but that's a great idea...then probably for sure get to the Fort that Saturday night.

Question for Judy...how many miles is that first day drive??? And is that with a trailer...that seems like a heck of a drive!

Also to Nicki...

We're pulling a popup with a Honda Pilot. Yes, it's a VERY long day... about 700 miles to Milton, Fl. We stay at a hotel because I don't want to mess with the camper when trying to make time on the highway. I'm surprised at the number of people here who will drive over 1,000 miles straight. I fall asleep too easy when I'm driving to do that.

TCD is correct that we make the trip fairly regular from Central Louisiana. 860 miles one way. I don't think I can give you good advice though cause I spent over ten years cross country driving in a Peterbilt and that is what we use to tow our fiver with now. I only stop once for fuel. We like to leave Louisiana around 4 in the afternoon and drive until close to midnight. That puts us at the rest area on I-10 just east of Crestview, FL. We crawl in the fiver and sleep until daylight then hit the road again. That puts us pulling in to the Fort at 1pm Fort time. Our two children and two dogs travel very well and we only have to make a few restroom stops, usually at a rest area. The return trip home is done in one day. We check out around 8am Fort time and truck it on home, getting there 16 hours later. Like I said though, my tow vehicle is not normal.

Petetoy.jpg

the inside:

Petetoy_4.jpg

Petetoy_3.jpg

It gets 10 miles per gallon and holds 180 gallons of fuel. Has room for 4 adults and two kids to ride comfortably.

The only good advice I can give is GO! You will love the Fort!

Put us in the camp of "get there as fast as we can so we can be there as long as possible."

In our case we're traveling about 1400 miles from NH. No kids, but we do bring our 3 dogs, so potty breaks and leg stretching are mandatory. Also I do 99% of the driving. DH *can* drive, and certainly will if I ask him, but he's just as happy having a chauffeur.

We usually put in about 12 hours of drive time the first day, take a nap for about 6 hours, 10-ish hours of driving the 2nd day, stop overnight and finish up the 2-3 hours in the morning. We try and plan when we leave to avoid busy times in the big cities.

This year I went completely insane and we got there in 2 days. (Although I guess that's not so insane really, as we always make it home in 2 days.) That put us at the Fort at about 8:30 at night, got take out at Trails End and hit the hay. It used to seem like kind of a waste to pay for a night getting there that late, but I have to say it was FANTASTIC waking up there the next morning ready to go, instead of pulling in around noon, having to setup and being exhausted from the ride.

We stop for gas/potty/leg stretching every 4 hours-ish. We carry a cooler full of sandwiches, snacks and drinks, thermos of coffee and don't generally stop for meals.

TCD is correct that we make the trip fairly regular from Central Louisiana. 860 miles one way. I don't think I can give you good advice though cause I spent over ten years cross country driving in a Peterbilt and that is what we use to tow our fiver with now. I only stop once for fuel. We like to leave Louisiana around 4 in the afternoon and drive until close to midnight. That puts us at the rest area on I-10 just east of Crestview, FL. We crawl in the fiver and sleep until daylight then hit the road again. That puts us pulling in to the Fort at 1pm Fort time. Our two children and two dogs travel very well and we only have to make a few restroom stops, usually at a rest area. The return trip home is done in one day. We check out around 8am Fort time and truck it on home, getting there 16 hours later. Like I said though, my tow vehicle is not normal.

Petetoy.jpg

the inside:

Petetoy_4.jpg

Petetoy_3.jpg

It gets 10 miles per gallon and holds 180 gallons of fuel. Has room for 4 adults and two kids to ride comfortably.

The only good advice I can give is GO! You will love the Fort!

Your ride rocks!

I was able to park it at an angle in front of the fiver on site 728 from the 27th of Dec to the 3rd of January and not have any tire touching the grass. I didn't take any pictures though. I did have an incident with a grill on site 623 though. That was a tough parking job with the trees beside the entrance to the site. Here is a picture from site 623 from last February.

2012-02-18_15-08-53_561.jpg

Here is the trip-

Origin city - Night Stop - Mileage

Oklahoma City, OK - Terrell, TX 255 - Day 1

Terrell, TX - Edwards, MS 342 -Day 2

Edwards, MS - DeFuniak Springs, FL 334 - Day 3

DeFuniak Springs, FL - Ocala, FL 319 - Day 4

Ocala, FL - Orlando, FL 76 Day -5

The return trip took longer due to family stops along the way.

Keeping in mind we never drove more than 6-8 hours in a day. We also arrived a day too soon so that is why we stopped in Ocala. If we had done this in 8-9 hours it would have taken a day or two less.

Oh my god… This broke my brain. ROFL

I remember as a child, my father pulled out of the east entrance to Yellowstone National Park. We took a 3 hour rest area nap somewhere around Denver Colorado and made it home to Central Louisiana in under 36 hours, a day and half after leaving Wyoming.

My husband was dutifully trained by Dad when we started dating. I'd be disowned and divorced if I said "six hours! time to stop!!!" That's lunch time, we have 10 more hours to go.

Mom detested it though. Hated our trips, come to find out, because we never took it slow. I love it. Drive like a bandit out of hell to where you're going, and relax relax relax when you get there.

Mom detested it though. Hated our trips, come to find out, because we never took it slow. I love it. Drive like a bandit out of hell to where you're going, and relax relax relax when you get there.

I'm the same way cause I work. But some day..... I want to take at least three months where the trip IS the destination, so 200 - 300 miles then stop for 2 days is my goal!