Good observation about them going straight to Level 3 this week, Mo.  That is odd.

The other thing odd is that the Level 3 closures seem to be very brief.  Like just a couple of hours.  It seems like they are just redirecting guests early and only for a couple of hours, to head off crowds at the MK.

I heard from a reliable source that for this past Christmas season, the MK capacity was reduced from the year before, despite the fact that all the New Fantasyland stuff was now open. I think they are trying to balance out crowds at the parks, and they do that by doing Level 3 closures at the MK sooner than they have in the past.  I also think that doing the Level 3 closure earlier in the day, and with less guests in the MK than in the past, is a way to avoid having to go to a Level 4.  As you pointed out, there doesn't seem to have been a Level 4 closure for four years (since 2009).

TCD

They may be using the closure system to manipulate crowd behavior like they do with the FP wait times. 

I think you're right.

This past NYE, we chose to go to Epcot because they had a Level 3 closure going on at the MK for most of the day, and there were reports that the crowds at Epcot weren't bad for NYE.  Epcot was beyond packed.  Way busier than I had ever seen it, and I have been during busy times- like weekends during Food and Wine Festival.  I think it was because they were sending guests away from MK and to Epcot all day.  As resort guests, we probably would have been better off going to MK via the boat from the Fort.  We would have gotten in, and since they made an effort earlier in the day to control the crowds, I bet it was less packed than Epcot.

I am begininig to think that on busy days, instead of avoiding MK, this should be the go-to park. They make an effort to keep it from getting overcrowded.  There is no evidence that they are making those efforts at the other parks lately.

TCD

I think you're right.

This past NYE, we chose to go to Epcot because they had a Level 3 closure going on at the MK for most of the day, and there were reports that the crowds at Epcot weren't bad for NYE.  Epcot was beyond packed.  Way busier than I had ever seen it, and I have been during busy times- like weekends during Food and Wine Festival.  I think it was because they were sending guests away from MK and to Epcot all day.  As resort guests, we probably would have been better off going to MK via the boat from the Fort.  We would have gotten in, and since they made an effort earlier in the day to control the crowds, I bet it was less packed than Epcot.

I am begininig to think that on busy days, instead of avoiding MK, this should be the go-to park. They make an effort to keep it from getting overcrowded.  There is no evidence that they are making those efforts at the other parks lately.

TCD

But without that diversion to Epcot we wouldn't have FUEGO!!!!

They may be using the closure system to manipulate crowd behavior like they do with the FP wait times. 

Could be. They called a Phase 3 @11:50am this morning and open again at 12:15, hmm.

It was so packed yesterday that they parked cars on the grassy areas near the race track. They even took some of the CM parking away.