I'm back... Re-Intro with lots of camping questions.

I kinda disappeared a bit on here. I had barely starting getting to know everyone when I had to retreat. So I know a lot of you didn't get to know me so much but  I did sneak on quite a bit to keep up on everyone's TR's. Got me through a lot of rough nights. 

Long story short life has landed me back here in Florida again! I was born in Daytona, but moved away 14 years ago to NE PA and I am glad to be home. We live about 5 minutes from Disney property. That means I can visit the fort whenever I want. In fact it was so cool to be headed home from grocery store the other day and stop off at the campground for the fireworks. Thankfully it was cool out and the milk survived! 

Anyway the thing is now that I am so close I cant see staying in a Disney hotel anymore. It just doesnt make sense to spend money there when I am right across the road. I have always love camping but never really did it as a adult by myself. My mom and sister moved down to Celebration and they are hardcore campers, but they didn't bring all their supplies. ( Not sure if they can stay down here in FL or not yet, but for now its nice to have them here) 

I am planning a couple short days and many more longer ones over the next few months. I am a total newbie to "real" camping. Hoping to learn a bit from my mom , although not sure I will ever get the cooking over a cook stove thing down as I cant cook at home either! But ideally I want to learn how to do this camping thing so I can do it on my own with the kiddos. 

My goals are 

1. Learn how to set up a big tent. Easy I am sure.

2. Teach the kids to fish. 

3. Teach/brainwash my kids to like camping ( Their dad was not the rugged type and the boys don't know what they are missing, or rather they do, video games. I gotta change that!)

4. Learn how to cook on a camp stove.

5. Take lots of walks at the fort weekly so I can lose a lot of weight and be able to do the 5k marathon with my daughter this fall. 

6. Enjoy taking lots of great videos of the fort to share with you all on this new video camera thing I got . ( as soon as I figure it out)

7. Create great memories for my family. 

Right now I am STILL unpacking and painting a bit . But man do I need a staycation.

I am planning on booking a couple days next week at the fort. 

We have one big tent and a few other misc things. 

We need lanterns, cook stove, I need my own tent ( sleeps 6 or more) , screen house, sleeping bags, air mattresses , tarps?, rug, and other things that I cant think of since I am not so experienced here! lol

My mom has been super busy running my sister around for work related things. So she hasnt been able to talk much or tell me what to get. They have a month to renew or head back to PA. They still have a house there also so its needless to say a bit crazy right now. Not sure how much time she will have to help me with this.

Anyone have any tips or recommendations  on gear or stuff I should be looking for ? 

Cant eat a lot at Trails End. To many complicated food allergies and we tried their in the past and it didnt work out well. So we will be doing it all on the campsite or in the parks. If you know of any easy good camping recipes that even a person that burns water can cook, throw em at me! 

Any tips on set up ? Not sure if my mom will be getting there at the same time or how it will go down.

Also I know cabin loops pretty well but I REALLY need help in understanding the difference between full hook-up sites from preferred and which ones can have tents and not have tents , etc. . 

Also what do you think we should do as far as a site choice. My mom says "We dont need any hook ups!" I am thinking " Gasp! How can you not need electricity!" . Think I am going to spring the little extra to make sure we have it. Til I am a camping pro of course. 

Best loops? 

And last of all carts. I know I don't NEED one.. But I NEED one. I always NEED one. That's half the fun to me. So I know there are a few vendors on here with carts but do you have to book at least one week? Can you book a few days here and there? I hate paying a Disney price. 

Any tips , advice , etc. , greatly appreciated . Sorry for such a long post! 

Welcome back!

How about while you are getting your feet wet with camping, you rent a trailer?  There are two vendors on here i know of - Curt and Donnie.  Curt rents pop-up campers and Donnie has Fifth wheels, which I think would be bigger?

I stayed in one of Curt's pop-ups in February (thank you, Loretta!!!) and it was wonderful.  He had it all set up at the site when we arrived.  It had all the linens provided. (Might want to bring beach towels for the pool.)  Oh, and a microwave! 

An easy dinner is to bring hot dogs, rolls, etc. to the campfire and cook them there.  Buy the kids some BBQ forks and let them burn them themselves. ;)

Plus, you could throw a crockpot meal in a ziploc and then just dump it in your crockpot in the morning and have dinner ready at the end of the day.

I have not camped without my dh yet and setting up the tent is one of the things holding me back.  I have older boys now and want dh to teach the boys to do it without me. 

I don't know about around there, but here I find sleeping bags, camping mattresses, etc. at the Goodwill.  Might be better than paying full price and then learning what you really wanted, kwim?

I believe all the sites at WDW, except the group camping area, have hook-ups.  In a tent, you will likely be in the 1500 or 2000 loops.  Get the FF app to learn about all the sites.

HTH!

Welcome back!

How about while you are getting your feet wet with camping, you rent a trailer?  There are two vendors on here i know of - Curt and Donnie.  Curt rents pop-up campers and Donnie has Fifth wheels, which I think would be bigger?

I stayed in one of Curt's pop-ups in February (thank you, Loretta!!!) and it was wonderful.  He had it all set up at the site when we arrived.  It had all the linens provided. (Might want to bring beach towels for the pool.)  Oh, and a microwave! 

An easy dinner is to bring hot dogs, rolls, etc. to the campfire and cook them there.  Buy the kids some BBQ forks and let them burn them themselves. ;)

Plus, you could throw a crockpot meal in a ziploc and then just dump it in your crockpot in the morning and have dinner ready at the end of the day.

I have not camped without my dh yet and setting up the tent is one of the things holding me back.  I have older boys now and want dh to teach the boys to do it without me. 

I don't know about around there, but here I find sleeping bags, camping mattresses, etc. at the Goodwill.  Might be better than paying full price and then learning what you really wanted, kwim?

I believe all the sites at WDW, except the group camping area, have hook-ups.  In a tent, you will likely be in the 1500 or 2000 loops.  Get the FF app to learn about all the sites.

HTH!

Thank you for all the great ideas! Hot dogs I can do. A crockpot, what is that? lol I am seriously mentally challenged in the kitchen. I mean I do know what one is, but no idea how to cook with one. Sounds like something to learn though, as it sounds handy for camping. I will go google crockpot recipes when I get off here. I know Target had some clearanced last week. 

Microwave? Now you are talking my language! I forgot I also brought my convection/toaster oven down. Its the kind that gets hot enough to bake in.

I totally wish I could rent a camper or get used sleeping bags . But my boys have some health issues that can be pretty serious When we stayed at Disney they always had to special clean stuff and remove things. Their immune systems dont respond to everything the way they should. In fact the doctor suggested they have to wear gloves in the parks. :( That's the hard part is having to buy all new.

I have a mini fridge. is that overkill?  My mom said I was crazy! lol Then again we approach everything different. This should be fun. 

What? FF has a phone app?! Can it be used for a droid? Off to investigate this right now. Thanks for all the great advice!

There are crockpot recipes on here that are tried and true.  Be sure to look for those.

Can your kids do Gloves in a Bottle?  It is a good protective layer that washes off afterwards.  many moms i know, whose kids are senstivie to artificial colors, etc., use them for their kids to do art projects so they don't come in contact with the paints, markers, etc.  I don't know if that would worlk at all for your kids, just throwing it out there, incase it would be helpful.

I would bring the mini-fridge.  I mean, Disney is paying for the electricity.  The other option would be a cooler, but then you are paying for the ice to keep it cool.  It sounds like your mom is used to more hardcore camping.  This is Disney.  Why not have every luxury you can to make your vacation more enjoyable, right?

BTW, I have seen campsites with more than just a mini-fridge.  I have seen them with full sized fridges and freezer chests.  :lol:

Wanted to say Welcome Back!!

I don't cook on a campfire either.  I'm more a glamper than hard core camper.  Crockpot, electric skillet, electric griddle and microwave work well for me.  I would do a mini-frig over a cooler if I were you too.  Your milk will be safer.

I don't tent, so I've got nothing for you there.  But there are many here who tent and pop-up who can help you with the nitty gritty.

Many happy camping trips in your future!

A mini fridge is NOT overkill.  Keeping ice at the Fort is so hard.  The ice in the machines is soft frozen and barely lasts 1/2 day. The ice in the trading post is frozen harder, but barely lasts 24 hours.  So keeping fresh food and soft drinks cold in a mini fridge is the best way.

Welcome back! 

I started out at the Fort tent camping and definitely overdid it on the first trip. In fact, I think I told this story in my first TR elsewhere, when I pulled into a rest area in Georgia on my way down, I had so much stuff in my car that an older couple asked me where I was moving to. I discovered that, to really do the complete setup with the awning, cooking appliances, etc took most of a day. And you had to start breaking down the afternoon before you planned to leave. For me, it wasn't worth it to do that and stay less than 5 days.

I'd start as simple as you possibly can. The tent is, for me, the easy part. It usually takes 10 - 15 minutes to get it up. The awning contraptions nearly killed me a couple of times. I threw the last one out the last time I tent camped. It's nearly impossible to do alone without bending a pole, so you would need help from the kids.

As far as a mini fridge - if you have it, definitely bring it. Coolers are a pain and a good one costs almost the same as a fridge. Like Carol said, the ice also becomes an issue. I ruined food a couple of times. 

I don't think you really need a lantern. I have a lightbulb/socket that I just hang from the top of the tent. I use Christmas lights outside for low lighting. A flashlight might come in handy, but no need to get a lantern.

Air mattress, sleeping bag, fleece blanket (to put on top of the air mattress), a fan and you should be all set inside your tent. I used a plastic tote that I call my camping box as a "night stand" to charge my phone on.

Speaking of power... I usually bring two heavy duty 25' extension cords and two power strips. With that, I'm covered.

That's about all I can think of right now. Make a list, check it three times, take it camping with you to amend and you should be all set.

Good luck and enjoy the Fort!

Welcome back.

I agree with Brent- keep it simple.

Especially since you live so close.  If you get set up and realize that there is something you need, you can just run home and get it.  That's bettter than bringing too much stuff. 

I have never met a kid who didn't love camping.  You will be amazed at what they can find to entertain themselves with.

I suggest you just stay two nights on your first trip.  Let everyone get a feel for camping, and there is less chance of anyone getting bored.

I also suggest that you go soon.  You don't want your first trip to be in the heat and humidity of a Florida summer.

As far as cooking goes-if you aren't a cook, you aren't a cook.  Keep that simple too.  Bring as much stuff as you can that doesn't require a lot of preparation.  If there are special diet needs in your family, bring what you eat at home with you.  Keep that simple too.

As far as loops at the Fort, since you are tenting it, there is no reason to reserve anything other than a partial site.  That will put you in the 1500 or 2000 loop.  For tents, I would rather be in the 2000 loop- there is more room in those sites.

Since you live close, there is no need to overthink this.  Throw the tent and sleeping bags and some food in the car and go.  Once you get that first trip under your belt, the next one will be easy.

TCD

There are crockpot recipes on here that are tried and true.  Be sure to look for those.

Can your kids do Gloves in a Bottle?  It is a good protective layer that washes off afterwards.  many moms i know, whose kids are senstivie to artificial colors, etc., use them for their kids to do art projects so they don't come in contact with the paints, markers, etc.  I don't know if that would worlk at all for your kids, just throwing it out there, incase it would be helpful  Not sure how to do this multi quote thing. lol I think I just cut off your post. Its funny you say the gloves in a bottle thing because years ago I came across a product that sad it killed germs and created a protective coating that formed almost like a glove and it lasted the day. Didnt save it and now I can remember the name of it. I will type in gloves in a abottle and see what pulls up. Great idea! Thanks! I didnt think to look for crockpot recipes on here. I will check those out after. Pickicking up a crock pot Wednesday to practice cooking with. 

I would bring the mini-fridge.  I mean, Disney is paying for the electricity.  The other option would be a cooler, but then you are paying for the ice to keep it cool.  It sounds like your mom is used to more hardcore camping.  This is Disney.  Why not have every luxury you can to make your vacation more enjoyable, right?

BTW, I have seen campsites with more than just a mini-fridge.  I have seen them with full sized fridges and freezer chests.  :)) Now that you say it I remember reading a trip report on here where someone posted a picture of someone having a full size fridge. lol That would be me if I could fit it. Yeah my mom was always a hardcore camper. I agree, not going to feel bad. I am bringing my comforts and conveniences darn it!  

Wanted to say Welcome Back!!

I don't cook on a campfire either.  I'm more a glamper than hard core camper.  Crockpot, electric skillet, electric griddle and microwave work well for me.  I would do a mini-frig over a cooler if I were you too.  Your milk will be safer.

I don't tent, so I've got nothing for you there.  But there are many here who tent and pop-up who can help you with the nitty gritty.

Many happy camping trips in your future!  I have to steal that from you, glamper. lol That would be me. I love camping , but I also gotta have my makeup and my hair straightener and other assorted important needs.  As far as the tent goes if god forbid it was to get to nasty out or storm we live 5 minutes away. Its been my selling point for those less camping inclined. Electric griddle would be great for making breakfast. I can almost smell it now. I always eat to much when we go camping because everything just tastes so much better. Good thing I get plenty of walking in when I am there!

Don't buy too much up front. Just the bare minimum. I tend to buy new, cute things, way too many things. Get the minimum for now and add as you learn. Good advice. I tend to overdo what I buy and bring. Plan on doing some video of our trip to post back here. I am sure even with my idea of paring down I might overdo it. You guys will get a good chuckle for sure. I will keep your advice in mind now that we have a small townhome here try to remember I have to store it all some place when we get back.  

Welcome Back!! Thanks! Glad to be back.  :jumpforjoy

Welcome back! 

I started out at the Fort tent camping and definitely overdid it on the first trip. In fact, I think I told this story in my first TR elsewhere, when I pulled into a rest area in Georgia on my way down, I had so much stuff in my car that an older couple asked me where I was moving to. I discovered that, to really do the complete setup with the awning, cooking appliances, etc took most of a day. And you had to start breaking down the afternoon before you planned to leave. For me, it wasn't worth it to do that and stay less than 5 days.

I'd start as simple as you possibly can. The tent is, for me, the easy part. It usually takes 10 - 15 minutes to get it up. The awning contraptions nearly killed me a couple of times. I threw the last one out the last time I tent camped. It's nearly impossible to do alone without bending a pole, so you would need help from the kids.

As far as a mini fridge - if you have it, definitely bring it. Coolers are a pain and a good one costs almost the same as a fridge. Like Carol said, the ice also becomes an issue. I ruined food a couple of times. 

I don't think you really need a lantern. I have a lightbulb/socket that I just hang from the top of the tent. I use Christmas lights outside for low lighting. A flashlight might come in handy, but no need to get a lantern. Good point. We do have plenty of flashlights and even some battery operated christmas lights. That would be really pretty also! 

Air mattress, sleeping bag, fleece blanket (to put on top of the air mattress), a fan and you should be all set inside your tent. I used a plastic tote that I call my camping box as a "night stand" to charge my phone on. 

Speaking of power... I usually bring two heavy duty 25' extension cords and two power strips. With that, I'm covered. I had just finished typing a huge paragraph above asking you about electricity and then I read the next line and see you already answered! lol You read my mind. Very helpful. Thanks a ton!

That's about all I can think of right now. Make a list, check it three times, take it camping with you to amend and you should be all set.

Good luck and enjoy the Fort! Sure will thanks!

Welcome back.

I agree with Brent- keep it simple.

Especially since you live so close.  If you get set up and realize that there is something you need, you can just run home and get it.  That's bettter than bringing too much stuff.  Good point. I keep reminding myself of this as I work on my packing list.

I have never met a kid who didn't love camping.  You will be amazed at what they can find to entertain themselves with. Thats what we are betting on. Kids have been through some rough times last few years and my youngest kinda retreats into himself and hates being out of his element. We know the best thing to do is put him in situations where he will be out of his comfort zone and just not push but let acclimate to it on his own. It worked last winter when he hated ice skating and had never been. He was very quiet and withdrawn while the other kids played, but a while later he choose to get out there on his own and was the first kid to be skating without holding onto anything. It was so nice to see him smiling. I believe it will be the same with camping. Think this will be the key to really helping them all deal with some of the stress in our lives right now. 

I suggest you just stay two nights on your first trip.  Let everyone get a feel for camping, and there is less chance of anyone getting bored. My mom is pushing for longer but with the kids and it being a newer experience I think 2 days is a great idea. I am planning on only booking 2 , maybe 3 at most. We can always go back next week or anytime we want . And with the golf cart, playgrounds, fishing, pools, I dont think they will get to bored. Just as long as the adults dont want to just sit around. I gotta remember whats relaxing to me would be boring to them and see it through their eyes.

I also suggest that you go soon.  You don't want your first trip to be in the heat and humidity of a Florida summer . Next week is the plan. I am hoping it will be mild. My only experience of outside tent camping was out on Montauk and it was FREEZING. Sweating does not sound like fun either. 

As far as cooking goes-if you aren't a cook, you aren't a cook.  Keep that simple too.  Bring as much stuff as you can that doesn't require a lot of preparation.  If there are special diet needs in your family, bring what you eat at home with you.  Keep that simple too. I'm ok with the fact the fact that hot dogs, pop tarts , cereal, and spagettios are not the conerstone of nutrition. Its just a couple days. The food is safe for them and I can always give them a  healthy meal when we get home.

As far as loops at the Fort, since you are tenting it, there is no reason to reserve anything other than a partial site.  That will put you in the 1500 or 2000 loop.  For tents, I would rather be in the 2000 loop- there is more room in those sites.

Since you live close, there is no need to overthink this.  Throw the tent and sleeping bags and some food in the car and go.  Once you get that first trip under your belt, the next one will be easy. Trying to not overthink it to much. I tend to do that. Thanks for the advice.  :D

TCD

Thats what we are betting on. Kids have been through some rough times last few years and my youngest kinda retreats into himself and hates being out of his element. We know the best thing to do is put him in situations where he will be out of his comfort zone and just not push but let acclimate to it on his own. It worked last winter when he hated ice skating and had never been. He was very quiet and withdrawn while the other kids played, but a while later he choose to get out there on his own and was the first kid to be skating without holding onto anything. It was so nice to see him smiling. I believe it will be the same with camping. Think this will be the key to really helping them all deal with some of the stress in our lives right now. 

I don't remember how old your kids are, but there are a lot of low tech things that you would be surprised kids really enjoy- sidewalk chalk, bubbles, buckets and shovels to play in sand.  Even today's kids like that kind of stuff.

Also, don't forget that there are organized activities for kids every day.  Things like crafts and games.

Bikes, scooters and roller skates are fun too.

There are basketball courts and tetherball courts scattered around.  If you don't have a basketball, you can borrow one for free from the Bike Barn with your resort ID.

TCD

I don't remember how old your kids are, but there are a lot of low tech things that you would be surprised kids really enjoy- sidewalk chalk, bubbles, buckets and shovels to play in sand.  Even today's kids like that kind of stuff.

Also, don't forget that there are organized activities for kids every day.  Things like crafts and games.

Bikes, scooters and roller skates are fun too.

There are basketball courts and tetherball courts scattered around.  If you don't have a basketball, you can borrow one for free from the Bike Barn with your resort ID.

TCD

I always forget they have organized activities. Bucket was the one thing they wished we had brought last time. Bubbles are good for entertaining the dog even if the kids lose interest. My daughter loves basketball. I didnt know they had a court. She will be happy to hear that.

DH bought me the Cuisinart 5in1 Grill/griddle for my birthday last year. It works great and Amazon has it marked down to $79.00.

That would be good for bacon , eggs, and making grilled cheese . I always ruin pancakes but maybe on a new griddle they wont stick. I can always hope! I will have to check that out.

To supplement the Pop-tarts and spaghetiios, put out fruit and fresh veggies, if yuor kids will eat that sort of thing.  Then, like you say, eat healthy when you get home.  It's vacation - enjoy!

One of my kids hates all fruits and veggies so I have to bake it into stuff to hide it.

Spinach brownies anyone? My other boy eats anything I give him. Think I will pack some apples and bannannas and maybe bake a few things ahead of time to take. But yeah , your right. I dont stress to much if its a couple days. In September when we go longer ( I want to stay a couple weeks because friends are coming) then I gotta get really creative.