Honor Flight Trip - And Honor Your Heroes, Too

This is a truly great experience for these veterans. My dad was able to go see the WW2 memorial on his own prior to his death, and it meant a great deal to him. Many thanks to everyone who makes these trips possible for those veterans who may not ever have been able to make it to see their memorial.

It was a very moving experience for me and I'm just reading along.

When the boys are done with high school and I have time for me, I will be making this a priority for me.  My grandfather couldn't do it, but I can do it in his memory by being a volunteer.

It will be very rewarding.  I hope you are able to make it happen. :hugs2:

This has been very enjoyable to read.

Thanks for sharing!

Idiots that show disrespect SMB.

Thanks to the Vets and the volunteers who make these trips possible!

Thanks, Aaron.   Next time I'll be better prepared mentally.  Maybe they were paying respect in their own way...

Wow, Judy.  That is quite a day.  Seeing the pictures of the vets makes me so proud to call them countrymen.  It is hard to fathom what they accomplished.  There were no guarantees that they would succeed and that our way of life was going to survive.  They really were our greatest generation.  I tell my girls that their generation will be looked to for similar greatness some day.  Historically, every 4th generation is what is called a "hero generation".  The generation growing up now will have to become our next hero generation if this country is to survive. 

I just wish more parents instilled this type of responsibility in their kids.  Thank you.  :heartsmiley:

This was an amazing experience. Although, I can imagine it being a very long day for the soldiers.  Shoot even flying one direction somewhere wears me out, I can't imagine flying to DC, having a full day of touring and flying back all in the same day.

I was exhausted when I got home.  I can't imagine doing this trip 30 years from now.  It was a very quiet flight home.   Honor Flight took 16 wheelchairs even though only a handful of the vets requested them.  By the time we got to the Korean War Memorial and the Viet Nam Wall, most all of the wheelchairs were in use.  Honor Flight really plans ahead. 

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Great story. Great pictures.

And a great group of heroes!

Thanks.  They were a great group of heroes and so appreciative and respectful.

That was an awesome thing that you did.  When we went to DC last April we saw a similar group at the WWII memorial and I remember being in awe of the veterans who came.  Great program.

It is a great program.  I'm glad you were able to see one of the groups last year.

Nice job Judy.

They truly were the greatest generation.

Their country and the world called and they dropped everything to preserve Freedom.   :usa:

This is a truly great experience for these veterans. My dad was able to go see the WW2 memorial on his own prior to his death, and it meant a great deal to him. Many thanks to everyone who makes these trips possible for those veterans who may not ever have been able to make it to see their memorial.

The vets on this trip were so appreciative.  I feel my volunteering to be a guardian was just the tip of the iceburg of all the planning that has to go into making a trip like this happen.  The local chapter did a great job. 

Judy- Thank you, and God bless you for giving your time and money to participate in the trip.

And thank you for sharing the photos.  I had goosebumps just looking at them.  I can't imagine what it was like to be there in person.

I wasn't aware that work is being done on the Washington Monument.  What is going on there?

TCD

Thanks TCD.  :)

The work is related to the August 2011 earthquake.  It was a magnitude 5.8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Washington_DC_earthquake

Washington Monument repairs: Start in 30 days, end in 12-18 months
September 26, 2012|By Danielle Ry

WASHINGTON -- Work to repair remaining earthquake damage to the closed Washington Monument will begin within about 30 days and be completed in 12 to 18 months, National Park Service officials said Wednesday.

The Park Service announced that Perini Management Services Inc. of Massachusetts had been chosen to complete the $15-million project. The damage was caused by a magnitude 5.8 earthquake that struck the East Coast in August 2011.

The WWII Memorial water feature was also drained for repair.  While the leak was recently identified, it seems logical to me that it might also be related somehow to the earthquake. 

Mr. Kelly said this was the first time he really felt his service was appreciated.  That is so sad.  I know my father felt that his service also wasn't appreciated.  So much so that he said he didn't even want a veteran's marker on his grave, but we're getting him one anyway because we want him to have the honor and recognition he deserves.

These vets are so deserving of these trips!  It's the least we can do for all they sacrificed for our country.  I'm so glad you were able to be a part of it!

I checked online and was dismayed to see that there is no hub in North Carolina for the Honor Flight Network.  The closest hub is over three hours away. 

In checking out the HFN online, I came across this way to honor deceased veterans:

http://www.honorflight.org/programs/flags.cfm

Think I'm gonna do this for Dad.

This is the Flags of Our Heroes program referenced by Gwen:

Flags of Our Heroes

The newest initiative of Honor Flight, conceived by Dave Bauer, a Vietnam Veteran and a recipient of the Purple Heart, is “Flags of Our Heroes”. It is our desire to show the respect so richly deserved to our deceased veterans and their families. Even though they will never see their memorial, we want to provide the families with the opportunity to know that their family member was shown the highest regard and respect at their memorial.

In order to do this, Honor Flight would obtain from the family and/or friends of the deceased veteran, a 5 x 7 photo of the veteran and a copy of the obituary notice, if available. A flag of a deceased WWII Veteran has been donated and is taken along with your Veteran's photo on one of our trips to the memorial in Washington, D.C. The flag, and photo would be placed in front of the memorial and a photo taken. The family would then receive an 8 x 10 photo and a certificate from Honor Flight honoring the veteran. All items taken to Washington would be returned to the family after the trip.

If you are interested in honoring a deceased veteran from your family in this way, please contact Honor Flight at [email protected] or by phone at (937) 521-2400.

:)

Check out this site, also. You can add his name to the WWII Memorial Registry of Remembrances. 

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/default.asp?page=registry.asp

Thank you, Judy!

To help put this into perspective, here's Dad during the war:

1944WilliamEveretteBeckinUniformRESTORED

These were REAL people with REAL lives and REAL loved ones.  They were prepared to sacrifice ALL for our country.

To those who are still with us, we honor you.  To those who have gone before us, we cherish you and honor your memory.

:)

Check out this site, also. You can add his name to the WWII Memorial Registry of Remembrances

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/default.asp?page=registry.asp

Thanks again, Judy.  I've added Dad's name.

He would have never gone on an Honor Flight because he was terrified of airplanes.  His squadron had to pick up too many body parts during the war. 

Thank you, Judy!

To help put this into perspective, here's Dad during the war:

1944WilliamEveretteBeckinUniformRESTORED

These were REAL people with REAL lives and REAL loved ones.  They were prepared to sacrifice ALL for our country.

To those who are still with us, we honor you.  To those who have gone before us, we cherish you and honor your memory.

Amen!

Well said, Gwen.

I've previously shared that my father-in-law, who died a couple of years ago, was a WWII vet.

He never once bragged about his service.  And I'm not sure he ever felt that his service was appreciated.

That's why this Honor Flight thing is so awesome.

TCD

Those two guys look like movie stars!

I didn't know my Father well. My parents were divorced when I was young and he died when I was in 7th grade. The first time I saw "Gone With The Wind" I thought "Rhett Butler looks like my Dad"!

They have that classic movie star look, don't they. :)

My son in law's grandfather was a Navajo code talker during World War II.  My son in law is now a Marine.  We are very proud of him.

I visited a Code Talker museum in Tuba City, AZ. The special service the Navajos provided during the war is too little recognized.

Do you have pictures of them to post so we can honor them here?

There is a plaque honoring Bob Dole for his service to the WWII veterans near the memorial.  Apparently he used meet as many of the Honor Flight veterans as possible. The tour guide said his health no longer allows him to spend time at the memorial

Thanks for posting the picture.  :usa: