Honor Flight Trip - And Honor Your Heroes, Too

It's time for the trip report. Some of you followed the thread where I posted about volunteering for Honor Flight - Fort Worth. The trip was Tuesday, April 16th and it was a memorable day. Here is a link to the original post with background information:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9369-honor-flight-fort-worth/

The day started early. I left home at 3:15 AM and picked up Mary Mohr, one of the veterans, on the way to DFW Airport. Mary served in the Army as a medic at Fairfield Suisun Army Air Base (now Travis AFB, CA). We arrived at 4:15 where we met my veteran, Bill Kelly, and the rest of the veterans, guardians, and support staff.

Mary and Bill

IMG_1067.jpg

The age range of the veterans was 88-93. Mr. Kelly had been a navigator with the 412th Squadron, 95th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force. He flew 18 missions of which two were Operation Chow Hound for Manna Food Drops over Holland.

You Tube Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utm_gB_zs0

Bill Kelly's Flight Crew

cridlin_william_crew_wn.jpg

DFW Airport must schedule any special military related flights for gate C2 because it is decorated with flags for each branch of service, large banners with pictures of service men and women are posted and travelers can add comments. The USO had a table with drinks and snacks. Honor Flight created a slide show with “then and now” pictures of the veterans and had it playing next to the gate. The area was also decorated with red, white, and blue balloons.

IMG_1068.jpg

One of the veterans, Robert Dvorak, was asked to make a few comments to the people gathered at the gate. He told of bit of his military background – he was a member of the Chicago Symphony when drafted and was sent as an enlisted soldier to West Point where he was a musician/composer. Some of his compositions are still being played a State functions. After WWII he graduated from college and during the Korean War was recalled to service, this time as an officer.

IMG_1070.jpg

We had priority boarding so we could get all of the veterans settled before the rest of the flight’s passengers boarded. Lots of people gathered around clap and to thank the vets for their service. It was very emotional.

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

As we boarded I noticed seats with what appeared to be permanent tables where the middle seats should be. I hadn’t seen them before.

IMG_1073.jpg

Mr. Kelly and I settle in for our flight.

IMG_1074.jpg

A Physician’s Assistant is part of the support staff.  She made many trips up and down the aisle checking to make sure everyone was OK. 

It was overcast for most of the flight but we had a good view of the monuments as we descended. 

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

When we landed at Washington Reagan Airport we were greeted by a fire truck water cannon salute.

006.jpg

007.jpg

Our group waited till the other passengers de-planed.  What a rousing reception the veterans were given!   An Air Force string quartet played the Anchors Away, The Marine Corps Hymn, etc.  There must have been 100 people there (both local Honor Flight volunteers and travelers) clapping, shaking the veterans’ hands and thanking them for their service, even thanking the guardians for volunteering.   I talked to Mr. Kelly after the trip and he said that was the most emotional time for him.  After the war he returned to Pittsburgh, PA, hung up his uniform and immediately returned to “ordinary” life.  This was the first time he really felt his service was appreciated.

IMG_1076.jpg

After a not-so-quick restroom break, we made our way to our tour bus and headed to the World War II Memorial. 

013.jpg

We drove by the Lincoln Memorial…

014.jpg

…and the Washington Monument.  The scaffolding is related to work to repair damage from last year’s earthquake.

012.jpg

Thanks and welcome aboard!    :usa:

A Congressman from one of the veteran’s districts was there to greet the bus. Sorry, no picture.

We start with Bill standing in front of the Pacific section of the WWII Memorial looking through toward the Atlantic section.  

017.jpg

A group picture of the veterans:

030.jpg

**Warning**     SOAPBOX    **Warning**

When we arrived at the WWII memorial, there was a large group of Japanese/Chinese people (I don't know what country they were from; but, they weren't speaking English) with their Ipads out taking pictures.  As we lined up the vets for this picture, these people started jumping in behind the the vets, some with their hands on the vet's shoulders,  having their pictures taken.  I was taken aback, even mad at them.  Here we are at the WWII Memorial and these people, some of whose relatives were on the other side and shooting at these veterans could only think to jump in the middle for pictures.  In my opinion the setting made it wrong. 

**End of Soapbox**

Mary Mohr was asked to lay a wreath at the memorial.

027.jpg

We had the presentation of the Colors:

022.jpg

024.jpg

I believe this in an Air Force MSgt singing the National Anthem and then a bugler played Taps.

023.jpg

This young man's family brought him over and had him shake Bill and Mary's hands.  Notice the people in the back lined to to shake the veterans' hands.

033.jpg

034.jpg

Bill and Mary with the Washington Monument in the background.

035.jpg

Bill and I: 

038.jpg

D-Day section on the Atlantic side:

040.jpg

Bill in front of the Atlantic section.

041.jpg

He's originally from Pittsburgh, PA...

043.jpg

...and now lives in Texas.

045.jpg

The Price of Freedom Gold Stars.

048.jpg

Then all of the gold stars.

047.jpg

Boxed lunches were served.  Then we boarded the bus and headed to the other end of the Reflecting Pool for the Korean War Memorial  and the Viet Nam Wall.

I love the Korean War Memorial.

053.jpg

The solders are made to reflect into the black mable wall. The wall is also etched with scenes of the time. 

051.jpg

We walked by the Lincoln Memorial.  

056.jpg

We look toward the Washington Memorial.

054.jpg

...and spent a few minutes at the Viet Nam Wall.  Too bad we didn't have more time. 

058.jpg

059.jpg

That's awesome that the color guard was there. Was it planned or coincident? Great pictures! That's so cool that the people were lined up to shake there hands. I would have been first in line to meet and thank them.

Keep the pix and the report coming.

Maybe the Asians were wanting their pictures taken with the soldiers were from one of the countries that we rescued from the Japanese and were honored to meet an American Hero. But I agree that was pretty bad timing on their part.

Now we are off to the FDR Memorial.   There are still a few cherry trees (pink) and apple (white) trees in bloom; but, they are past their prime.

061.jpg

The entrance.

062.jpg

With the FDR statue.

065.jpg

FDR and his Scottie.

070.jpg

Eleanor Roosevelt

072.jpg

A replica of FDR's wheel chair.  It was made from a kitchen chair and bike wheels. 

073.jpg

Looking from the  FDR Memorial across the Tidal Basin toward the Jefferson Memorial.

IMG_1085.jpg

Now we are off to Arlington Cemetery Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for the Changing of the Guard.  It’s about 3:30 by now. 

There are so many graves.

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

Audie Murphy's grave at the edge of the sidewalk between the left and middle branches of the tree.

IMG_1093.jpg

Funeral procession: 

IMG_1089.jpg

Memorial to the Astronauts.

IMG_1094.jpg

Changing of the Guard.  A shift lasts 15 minutes and they stand guard year around, regardless of the weather. 

075.jpg

They had two wreath laying ceremonies.  One presented by an elementary school and one by a high school.  Only one wreath is displayed at a time.  The wreath being retired is layed with great pomp along the front of the Tomb.

080.jpg

083.jpg

078.jpg

That's awesome that the color guard was there. Was it planned or coincident? Great pictures! That's so cool that the people were lined up to shake there hands. I would have been first in line to meet and thank them.

Keep the pix and the report coming.

The Color Guard was planned. I assume with 2-3, sometimes 4 Honor Flight groups a day Tuesday through Saturday, the military honor guards are kept pretty busy.

Maybe the Asians were wanting their pictures taken with the soldiers were from one of the countries that we rescued from the Japanese and were honored to meet an American Hero. But I agree that was pretty bad timing on their part.

I hope so.  Next time I will be better prepared mentally for this to happen.

It was about 4:30 by now and everyone got back on the bus to head to the airport.  My son-in-law texted me that all American Airlines planes were grounded because of computer issues. Bummer.  An announcement was made and the Physician's Assistant checked with everyone to make sure they brought an extra day's medicine with them (it was on the list).  We had a bit of extra time so we drove by the Iwo Jima Memorial, the Pentagon and the Air Force Memorial.

Iwo Jima Memorial

IwoJima1.jpg

IwoJima2.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

Note the lighter area on the Pentagon wall.  That is where the plane hit on 9-11.

085.jpg

The Air Force Memorial

088.jpg

Now off to the Airport.

Thank you for bringing us with you.  I only wish my grandfather was still alive when this first started.  

You're welcome.  I wish my Dad could have made this trip, also.

I hope those of you who have grandparents, parents, aunts/uncles, siblings, neighbors who are WWII and Korean War veterans will let them know about this fine program.

I have to commend American Airlines for how they handled our group that day.  We had an American Airlines volunteer with us the entire time - from when we left in the morning till we returned back that night.  When we arrived back at Washington Reagan Airport Tuesday evening our flight was scheduled to leave at 11:00 PM :- getting us back to DFW after midnight.  AA managers worked with our AA rep to get all of us on an earlier flight.  Not an easy task with the issues they had been facing all day. 

We made it back to DFW about 11:00 PM and were greated by family, friends, and travelers who were still waiting of their flights out.  Unfortunately, the bag pipers weren't able to stay that late to welcome us back. 

We had one more activity - Mail Call.  Thanks to eveyone who sent Mr. Kelly a letter or card.  He had an 11x14 envelope full of his mail.  :)

Mr. Kelly's grandsons were there to pick him up so Mary Mohr and I headed home. I dropped her off on the way and I made it home about 12:15 AM. 

It was one, loooong, but very rewarding day. 

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you would like more information about Honor Flight, check out the National website that has links to the local chapters. 

http://www.honorflight.org/

"We can't all be heroes.  Some of us have to stand on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers 

We are having a Reunion July 14th and will receive the pictures taken by the trip photographer.   I'm sure there will be many more to post at that time. 

The End

It was a very moving experience for me and I'm just reading along.

When the boys are done with high school and I have time for me, I will be making this a priority for me.  My grandfather couldn't do it, but I can do it in his memory by being a volunteer.

Wow, Judy.  That is quite a day.  Seeing the pictures of the vets makes me so proud to call them countrymen.  It is hard to fathom what they accomplished.  There were no guarantees that they would succeed and that our way of life was going to survive.  They really were our greatest generation.  I tell my girls that their generation will be looked to for similar greatness some day.  Historically, every 4th generation is what is called a "hero generation".  The generation growing up now will have to become our next hero generation if this country is to survive. 

This was an amazing experience. Although, I can imagine it being a very long day for the soldiers.  Shoot even flying one direction somewhere wears me out, I can't imagine flying to DC, having a full day of touring and flying back all in the same day.