Help w/Loop? Premium pet with other preferences...

Hello all!

I haven't been to FW since I was a kid, but it looks like we're headed headed that way and are thinking of stopping. Traveling to FL in the summer isn't our usual MO (we're more Pacific NW in the fall kind of people), but we have some family events that are dictating summer travel this year. We are two 30-something adults with two (very) furry dogs (malamute/chow/shepherd-ish - hence the preference to travel in cooler weather!). This forum is great, and I have some good ideas after reading, but was hoping for expert advice on what loops to attempt to request from WDW. We're traveling in a 26' Class C and would like:

-Premium pet (to minimize dirt collected on my hairy beasts)

-Far from marina (have a firework/thunder/etc noise-phobic dog)

-Shade? (this is going to be a hot trip for all of us)

-Far from noisy attractions is good (pool, etc.)

-Far from dog park is fine

-We usually like to be off the beaten path with some space to breathe

-We don't need to be close to anything, we're just going to be relaxing and roaming

Any loop suggestions?

A few other questions that I've seen conflicting info about:

-Are dogs (leashed) allowed to ride the golf carts? Is this variable by golf cart vendor or driven by FW itself?

-Are dogs allowed to walk in non-pet loops? Or will we need to be careful where we walk?

-How early are reservations needed for July? I'm planning to knock this out soon - am I too late? (Seemed like sites were available on WDW's website, but I thought their site was painfully lacking in information.)

-Are any of the canals/waterways okay to wade in? Thinking of the dogs here - any way for them to get wet? Are they allowed anywhere they could wade or swim?

We don't plan on going to any parks (but if we do anything like that, we'd probably take the dogs to the day care facility). We enjoy walking around campgrounds with our dogs and would plan to do that and relax on this trip. I would also like to rent a golf cart to cruise around for fun - but might not bother if the dogs can't ride. We'll probably only stay 2-3 nights depending on how the rest of our schedule pans out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

WELCOME!

We generally stay in preferred, so I'll let others answer your questions re: premium loops, but I can help with a few questions...

Leashed dogs are allowed on golf carts.  Same rules apply when it comes to the areas dogs are not allowed (trading posts, pool, comfort stations, beach, Settlement area/marina)

We rent off-site and have never been told anything specific to dogs on our carts, but we always put a towel down under our beasties to keep the cart as clean as possible.

I'm not sure what the specific policy is, but generally I would say that you're better off sticking to walking dogs in pet loops.  There are people that specifically request non-pet loops for various reasons (allergies, fear of dogs, etc.)

July is a busy time at WDW in general, so I'd recommend trying to reserve your dates asap.  If you're booking room only (not a package) you only need to put down a one night deposit to reserve your site. 

Dogs are not allowed on the beach.  There are canals, some of which have dog walks along them, but generally I'd be very wary of letting my dogs wade/swim in them.  Like most FL waterways, alligators aren't uncommon, and even though it's Disney, they do turn up from time to time.

There is a hose in the dog park.  After our girls run themselves silly, we usually rinse them down to cool off.

One note on site location and fireworks... you will hear them no matter what loop/site you're in at the Fort.  They'll be louder towards the lake/beach side of the campground, but you will hear them to some degree no matter where you are.

Here's a thread discussing this along with some suggestions people have offered that might help...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/4897-firework-noise/?hl=thunderphobic#entry116062

Welcome!

I don't know much about dogs at the Fort, but I'll answer the loop question as best I can. Since you want a pet loop, I'd say the ones farthest away from "noise" is the 900 loop. There are others better, but they're not pet loops.

There are some loop videos on YouTube that might give you an idea of the distance between sites. The 900 loop specifically is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlrVwNZA_7c

The 800 loops is also popular, but a little closer to the marina.

I've heard the fireworks in the 2000 loop and the 1600 loop, so I don't know there are any sites that are immune from them. They're far enough away that they shouldn't be too bad, though.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of!

@BradyB - thanks for all the info! I read a few threads where people seemed to think things were much cleaner around camp (less dirt/sand tracked into camper) in the premium sites - do you think this is really that big an issue? That's the only reason I was leaning toward premium - and since we're only staying a few days the cost won't add up as much as if we were there for a long vacation.

As for where to walk - are the loops labeled or do you just have to know which are pet loops?

Re: alligators - that's what I was wondering in the back of my mind, but I felt a little silly asking about alligators. I just don't know what areas of the SE is their primary habitat.

As for the fireworks, I realize I can't escape them, just hoping to minimize a little. And my dog is actually sensitive to flashes of light as well so the worse the view of them, the better. We have tried pretty much everything and have great management systems at home, but less options in the RV, so I'm just thinking ahead...

@FWG - hmmm...I'm certain there's an inside joke here that is going right over my head.

@BBrent - thanks for the video, I'll definitely check that out! If I went toward preferred, what loop would you suggest? If I could pick any pet loop, what then? Just curious and trying to get a sense of things...

I agree with the information provided so far.

There are signs posted at various places around the Fort which say "no pets beyond this point."  The big areas that are off limits are the entire Settlement area and the entire Meadow area.  As far as walking your dog around non-pet loops, there aren't signs, but there really isn't any reason to walk your dog in those loops.  There are dog walk areas adjacent to the 700, 800 and 900 loops, the 300 loop, and the 1600 and 1800 loops.  You can nice long walks there. 

As for the canals, aside from the alligators, another reason to stay out is that the water in those canals is just run off from the Fort and from the golf course upstream  Who knows what is in that water?  In a lot of places the canals are stagnant and covered with slime.  There's no way I would let my dog in that water, even if it was allowed.

If you decide you want a preferred loop, the only preferred pet loop is the 300 loop, so you wouldn't have to choose which preferred loop you would like. 

As far as what loop to request, this is something that some first time visitors really get worked up about.  There is no need for that. Most of us began our visits to the Fort knowing nothing.  We reserved a site and we went.  We figured out what we liked and what we didn't.  Everyone is different.  What some people like about a loop, others don't.  And, there have been many times where I requested a loop, and they just couldn't put me there. You may want to not worry so much about what to request or what others think, and just go. You'll still have a great time!

TCD

Welcome.  3000 is a non-existant super luxury loop that we would all love to book...if it were real.  Anything you could want would be there.   We don't have dogs, but have been put in pet loops on occasion.  These loops have bag stations for cleanup and disposal of your dog's leavings.  Other loops do not offer such amenities, but during crowded times, pets are sometimes put in ANY loop...alnog with their owners.  Somewhere in these forums there is a listing of the loops and whether they are pet or not.  We do use a golf cart and often see pets with their owners moving about.  Premium sites have all concrete pads.  The other sites have cocino(sp?) near the rear ( a sand-like substance of crushed shells) which is great for staking tents, but also great for tracking into your RV.  You are liable to get good shade in every loop except the new part of 600.  Enjoy your stay and jump in if you have more questions.

One thing to keep in mind is being farther from the beach will make the Magic Kingdom fireworks quieter but will make the fireworks from Epcot's Illuminations louder. Just a thought.

To be off the beaten path I would suggest the full hook up loops. They are a little further from the main road. (bus and car noises) as well as the pools and marina. They also have a little more space between the sites and are very shady. But if you come on the weekend they tend to fill up with a lot of locals. 

July is really busy so I would make your reservations ASAP.

We take our dogs on our golf cart and never have an issue. In fact we literally have to pull them off of it when we stop, because they love to ride. Dewey, our Chihuahua rides up front between my wife and I. Brewster, German Sheppard/Rottweiler mix rides on the back seat with our daughter.