KFC's Cole Slaw Recipe

Anthony Robbio III shared Linda Mason's photo.

36333_10201009163981918_1703493522_n.jpg

KFC COLESLAW

from All Things Homemade

KFC coleslaw is one of my all-time favorite foods, After doing some research I found this recipe and I have made it in the past and it is absolutely delicious! It tastes exactly like the stuff KFC makes!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup buttermilk

2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

8 cups finely chopped cabbage (approx. 1 head)

1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)

2 tablespoons minced onion

Directions:

* Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped into very fine pieces (a little bigger than rice)

* Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in large bowl. Beat until smooth

* Add cabbage, carrots, and onions. Mix well.

* Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, if you let it sit over night it's even better.

I'll try this but I'll probably look for a substitute for the buttermilk. I always ask my KFC to add extra juice (I used to call it dressing but nobody knew what I meant), otherwise they drain it. They say they've had complaints from people who think they are being cheated if there is too much juice and not enough cabbage.

Substitute for buttermilk:  one cup of regular milk minus one tablespoon.  Add one tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice (recipe above already contains both).  Let stand 5 minutes before using.

Thanks. That sounds like a plan. Use 1/2 cup milk and add the vinegar/lemon juice to half.

The slaw at our KFC is terribly dry. Just tastes like a bunch of cabbage that's been chopped up, hardly any taste of any kind of dressing. It was really good when it first opened. My Gran's recipe was quite similar but she didn't use milk, onion, or lemon juice. I still make it that way. I guess the milk would make it a little creamier??

The slaw at our KFC is terribly dry. Just tastes like a bunch of cabbage that's been chopped up, hardly any taste of any kind of dressing. It was really good when it first opened. My Gran's recipe was quite similar but she didn't use milk, onion, or lemon juice. I still make it that way. I guess the milk would make it a little creamier??

Ask them to put extra juice in the container. Maybe your KFC is like mine and they drain it as they put it in the container. If they won't do it, go to Chick Filet instead. They have excellent cole slaw.

We have a bunch of loud mouth, cell phone chatting young folks working at ours......that kind of request might confuse them. We don't have a Chick Filet yet; closest one is over an hour away. Can't stand that 'pre-made stuff' the grocery store and Wal-mart calls slaw. Guess I'll continue making my own *sigh*