Rivers of light coming soon??

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh brother....those look like the same obnoxious Moms that I always wanted to punch in the nose while waiting for my kid at gymnastics.  Gabbing on their phones, feeding the younger kid some sort of c

Hey everyone..... check in on the 9th on the blog. Trust me... anyone there on the 10th-17th... might get a surprise and delight ? you will see a major announcement. Sent from my SM-G935T using Tap

Update: Tomorrow the Disney blog will be posted about ROL around 10 am. In the morning there will be dining packages available. They will have some great surprise days for DVC members and

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'll give you a report right after tonight's preview. I know some people who are going. And by that I mean the TCD gang. 

TCD

Woot Woot

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

TCD your mission to find #comingsoon and get a selfie.

Bah ha ha ha ha

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

Sounds like it's a disaster. Per FB the show has already been stopped, lights are back on and they are trying to restart.

i also read that in the past the floats have crashed into each other because the gps system has trouble working in the water.  

Cool, so can we get a Becker's and TCD review then?

8 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I'm only a FB review reporter from my couch in NJ lol. 

Works for me.  It would be nice to have more than one review from two different views of the event. (even if you were just reporting the news from NJ!  hehehehe)

The two reviews linked above are pretty accurate.  Rivers of Light is way better than the Jungle Book Alive With Magic Show-  there are some very good visual effects, and the music is good.  But, the show lacks a story.  It's interesting to me how these bloggers describe what they saw with Shamans and such- none of those story elements were clear to someone like me, who hasn't paid attention to all of the prior discussion about the details of the show. 

We arrived at AK in the late afternoon.  We joined the line outside the theater at about 6:45.  CM's came through the line and checked to make sure each guest had a ticket, and these had to be shown again as we entered the theater.  We got to keep the tickets:

11%2020%2016%20547_zpsocvezxnf.jpg

11%2020%2016%20548_zpsa3eubr5z.jpg

We were let in to the theater at 7 pm, and had great seats about half away up in the center.  One thing I learned is that the seating in this new amphitheater is uncomfortable.  The seating is lower than bleacher style seating, and the rows are closer together, so there is less leg room- and you are sitting on rock:

11%2020%2016%20552_zpsrxnc0urp.jpg

The theater looks great, and we enjoyed the pre-show lighting and firefly effects across the water:

11%2020%2016%20553_zpssyjse6ex.jpg

11%2020%2016%20554_zpsahxmmjcf.jpg

After siting there for an hour, the show started.  A character carrying a lantern walked by us and headed to one of the boats, followed by other CM's who carried lanterns down to put in holders down by the water.

Then the boats move, and lotus flowers came out, followed by the animal floats.  All was going well, and it wasn't boring.  But then, everything froze and went dark.  The floats were floated back, and an announcement was made that they would try to re-start.  The helpful CM's led the audience in several rounds of the wave, including the crowd pleasing slow motion and fast motion versions.

After the delay, we saw most of the first six minutes of the show repeated, and then the show continued.

There were a lot of colored water fountains, and some nice screen projections.  All very nice and pretty.

But there was no narration- just songs.  Apparently, there was some kind of story and those giant animal floats had to have some significance. but none of us got it.

As reported by others, there is no grand finale.  The ending is abrupt.  We had one of the boats with the actors on it parked in front of our section, and they stood there waiting for applause.  Our section gave a standing ovation, and I participated because I wanted to stand up and stretch my legs so bad.

I thought the mood of the crowd filing out of the amphitheater was very telling.  No one seemed to be excited or happy about what we had all just seen.  It was nice, but not great.

One other observation that might be of interest to parents out there- there was a family with two boys seated next to me- I would guess they are about 8 and 5.  Of course, they were very fidgety before the show, but they both sat and watched the whole thing, and didn't complain of boredom once.  That's a huge improvement over the Jungle Book show.

So, should you see it?

Yes.

Will  I see it again?

Yes.  But, it's not something I would go to a lot of trouble to see again.

Sadly, what we saw is not what they said they would deliver.  It's still a pretty nice show, though.

TCD

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

11%2020%2016%20547_zpsocvezxnf.jpg

11%2020%2016%20548_zpsa3eubr5z.jpg

Yeah....blah blah blah.  So the show isn't great.  But what I really am interested in is.....will there be a TCD Thanksgiving at the Fort trip report?  Because, I may be mistaken, but it sure looks to me like that ticket in the pictures above is sitting on top of a genuine Fort Wilderness picnic table.

10 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Yeah....blah blah blah.  So the show isn't great.  But what I really am interested in is.....will there be a TCD Thanksgiving at the Fort trip report?  Because, I may be mistaken, but it sure looks to me like that ticket in the pictures above is sitting on top of a genuine Fort Wilderness picnic table.

Ironically, they have plastic picnic tables at the AK that appear to be made out of the same stuff as the Fort picnic tables. But they are smaller.

The reason I say ironically is that you were right about the TCD Gang being at the Fort for Thanksgiving.  And when I say TCD gang, I mean everyone was there for Thanksgiving, even Mrs. TCD and Rocky.

We checked out yesterday.

This was where I parked at the AK last night:

11%2020%2016%20522_zpsrv2jxhkb.jpg

Get ready for the trip report.

TCD

2 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I read the people bringing the lanterns had creepy masks on and were hard to see?

One of those people walked right past us.  There are two main lantern carriers who have elaborate costumes and masks and make up on.  I wouldn't call them creepy- they looked like those masks that you see worn in Asian plays.  OK, maybe a little creepy.  The  rest of the lanterns are carried by regular Animal Kingdom CM's who just have their regular CM costumes on and no masks- there's probably about a dozen of them. 

I can see how people may complain about the costumed lantern carriers being hard to see- there are only two, and while we got a good look at the one who walked right past us, we couldn't see the other one very well.

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I thought the mood of the crowd filing out of the amphitheater was very telling.  No one seemed to be excited or happy about what we had all just seen.  It was nice, but not great.

TCD

To me, that was the general consensus about Jingle Bells, Jingle Bam.

It was just mildly ok.  It was a hot mess, a very thin storyline with a lot of things just thrown in that made no sense.

Plus it's a horrible place to watch anything.  We were closer this time then when we watched Star Wars, but it was actually worse trying to see things.

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

To me, that was the general consensus about Jingle Bells, Jingle Bam.

It was just mildly ok.  It was a hot mess, a very thin storyline with a lot of things just thrown in that made no sense.

Plus it's a horrible place to watch anything.  We were closer this time then when we watched Star Wars, but it was actually worse trying to see things.

I agree with you about Jingle Bam!  We just saw it over the past weekend.  Very strange show, but not totally awful.

One thing that is good about ROL is that they built the tiered amphitheater, which greatly improves the viewing as everyone is seated, and it's not likely that some dad is going to put his kid on his shoulders.

One thing I forgot to mention is that for this preview show, they made several announcements about there being no photography or videoing allowed.  That made it really nice to watch the show without someone's phone or ipad blocking the view.  Since this show depends a lot of lighting effects, it's going to stink when the regular hammerheads are allowed to use their technology to take photos and videos.

TCD

Disney issued an official press release today discussing new things coming to WDW.

They snuck in this little bomb right in the middle of that press release:

Rivers of Light – Coming in 2017, this powerful theatrical production takes Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests on a magnificent emotional journey – a visual mix of water, fire, nature and light choreographed to an original musical score. Continuing the park’s transformation from a day-into-nighttime experience, the amazing after-dark show on the banks of Discovery River celebrates the majesty of nature and the connection between animals and humans in the world. With innovative and never-before-seen technology, Rivers of Light will be unlike any other production ever staged at Walt Disney World Resort.

http://wdwnews.com/releases/2016/12/06/a-breathtaking-new-land-of-fantasy-highlights-a-new-year-full-of-magical-additions-openings-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

I guess that's "soon."

TCD

Well JANUARY 2017 is "soon" but they left that pretty wide open, and April, May, June.... not so much.

Yeesh.

This is starting to make me think of an infamous public works project up this way called The Big Dig. Completion took 9 years longer than scheduled. Let's hope Disney isn't in the same boat -- no pun intended -- because the Big Dig also ended up being over cost by nearly 200%.

• 4 weeks later...