• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lucky baby!

A summation of the process -   In all honesty, I had a great time with this project but it just takes a bit of time.  Tracing and sewing the mickey head took me about 30 minutes for all three shirts.

well now I am glad i didn't try it with rubber bands instead of floss.. so you pay $20 to have to finish it in your RV for the hard part...       You know I am somewhat a modern day hippie.  I live in

Lucky baby!

Yep....

Nicki, those shirts came out great!

Thank you much.

Those came out great!

The first and only time I tried to do them, my shirts were more white with just a hint of color.  I totally wimped on applying the die.

So I did the heads first.  Then I applied about 1/2 the bottle of each color the shirt.  The instructions said to use a lot so each shirt got about a bottle each.  I had so few to do that I applied as much as the shirt could hold.

Here is the second shirt washed and hung up -

249149_144359079084042_630050395_n.jpg

Third Shirt Up-

922738_144374092415874_798614550_n.jpg

Rinse time (yes, i manned the camera and the shower head at the same time)-

947306_144374139082536_620532979_n.jpg

936303_144374285749188_62239270_n.jpg

So this one literally had so much die in it that I had to undo the bands just to get it rinsing clean -

944603_144374322415851_1687546189_n.jpg

969725_144374562415827_778444241_n.jpg

969725_144374562415827_778444241_n.jpg

405573_144374659082484_1201644823_n.jpg

Currently shirt #3 is waiting for me to wash it....You will notice something weird happened with his head.  But two out of three ain't bad!

Very cool!

I'm confused how you make the Mickey head.

you draw or trace a mickey head on to stiff board or paper.  trace it on the shirt. then baste stitch around it with dental floss.  tighten the floss so it puckers up and then tie.  wrap an inch worth of rubber bands around the base of the head

Love both color selections.  Sorry about the mushed Mickey.

i am good with the mushed mickey.  perfection is overated

you draw or trace a mickey head on to stiff board or paper.  trace it on the shirt. then baste stitch around it with dental floss.  tighten the floss so it puckers up and then tie.  wrap an inch worth of rubber bands around the base of the head

Base stitch? Never mind. That's above my skill-set. I'll take a blue/green on in XL. :)

A summation of the process -

In all honesty, I had a great time with this project but it just takes a bit of time.  Tracing and sewing the mickey head took me about 30 minutes for all three shirts.  Twisting Princess Leia's hair accessories took about 10 minutes (5 to figure out how to do it with the offset mickey heads).  You only have 45 minutes from the time you mix the dye until it "loses maximum strength" but I was done with the three shirts, scarf, head band, & bandana in around 20 minutes.  Each shirt has roughly 1/2 a bottle of the two major colors each.  This might have been overkill but I wanted to err on the size of too much and not too little.  

The longest part is actually getting they dye out of the shirts.  However, if I had been in a house with a stainless steal kitchen sink, "real" water pressure (our rv shower uses air to help create water pressure), and a washing machine it would have taken half the time.  However I don't think it would have been half as fun.  This might be craft geeky of me but watching the colors run out was cool and then seeing what color the wash water ended up was too.

warnings -

Most kids won't be able or interesting in sewing the floss into the shirt

be very careful cutting the rubber bands and floss off of the shirt (don't ask... won't tell)

check your gloves periodically for holes or you will have pretty hands (mine are extremely pretty)

zip lock bags and rubber bands will work as gloves in a pinch (see above)

give yourself plenty of time to finish the project (twice as much as you think you will need)

buy extra rubber bands (they never give you enough)

Well done, Nicki! 

Way, way better than the shirts they charge $20 to make at the Fort.

TCD

Thanks.  

By the way, how in the world do they get those finished so fast?  they have to skip steps.... It took me about 1.5 hours in prep and dyeing.  Then about 2-3 hours (1-2 if I had a house), removing all the dye from all the shirts and extra stuff i did.

By the way, how in the world do they get those finished so fast?  they have to skip steps.... It took me about 1.5 hours in prep and dyeing.  Then about 2-3 hours (1-2 if I had a house), removing all the dye from all the shirts and extra stuff i did.

As I said, I have never done the tie dye at the Fort, but I've watched it.  How do they finish?  They don't.

Just like when my kids made tie dye shirts at camps and things, they send you home with your wet shirt in a bag with after care instructions.  They don't wash out the dye or any of that, that is up to you.

And I never saw any baste stitching or anything like that- it's just rubber bands and knots.  As I said, they don't turn out so hot.  Nothing like yours.

TCD

As I said, I have never done the tie dye at the Fort, but I've watched it.  How do they finish?  They don't.

Just like when my kids made tie dye shirts at camps and things, they send you home with your wet shirt in a bag with after care instructions.  They don't wash out the dye or any of that, that is up to you.

And I never saw any baste stitching or anything like that- it's just rubber bands and knots.  As I said, they don't turn out so hot.  Nothing like yours.

TCD

well now I am glad i didn't try it with rubber bands instead of floss.. so you pay $20 to have to finish it in your RV for the hard part...

Wow Nicki they turned out really nice....   But be careful.. they may attract hippies. :animated-smileys-character-024:

You know I am somewhat a modern day hippie.  I live in mobile house.  I homeschool my kids.  I make tie dye shirts.  However.. I don't do the wacky weed.  Do want one of those vw buses though...

Love your shirts Nicki! Just seeing all your photos makes me want to try it at home,  but I'm pretty sure my Mickey heads won't turn out nearly as well. This is just another  reason I love FortFiends - you guys go the extra mile in answering questions!

Thanks.  I am being honest.  If you can figure out the basting stitch, the Mickey Heads aren't that hard (though one of mine didn't turn out perfect).  I wish I had tried just one throw away shirt with doing the Mickey head with rubber bands to compare.

Nicki, you have some mad do it yourself skills. The results are very impressive!

thank you.  I will take your compliment.  On the other hand, I must admit I was more confident in the process since I had done some tie dye last year with someone with experience.

• 1 month later...