We are looking at renting/ borrowing a class c and driving from Oklahoma to Mount Rushmore to Yellowstone NP to Colorado back to Oklahoma.

I know this is ambitious for our first RV trip (2711 miles), but what the heck I'm going for it.

I don't want to plan every stop we make and just kind of drive till we want to stop and find a place to stay the night. I know that we will probably have to stay the night in some truck stops, wal marts, and rest areas.

Now I'm not a paranoid person but I am a little worried about safety at the above mentioned places. I have my concealed carry but most of the time I don't carry my weapon.

I'm I worried about nothing or should I bring my weapon with me?

What's been your experiences at rest areas, truck stops, etc?

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK lets all take a deep breath.  RVing is not dangerous.  If you go to Yellowstone you are more likely to get frightened by the wildlife.  While I do carry I also like to think that caution is the bet

We never stay in rest areas - don't feel too safe there.  We have stayed many times at truck stops and Cracker Barrel.  We feel the safest at Cracker Barrels -- usually we have 2-3 other RV'ers nearby, the lot is well lit, and you don't have people walking around all night like you do at truck stops.

Check the concealed gun laws of the states you are traveling through.  I think there is at least one that doesn't allow them...period.  

We have stayed in countless Walmart and Cracker Barrel parking lots (we full time in our RV, two years now).   There have been a place or two that worried me.  Helena, Mtontana Walmart, for instance, had a bunch of teenagers firing guns somewhere near by.  There was that time in a Mass Walmart where the police chopper was out with the spot light on.  I recommend Cracker Barrels over walmarts.  If you do walmarts try for the 24 hour Superstores.  You will need to check with the store to see if they allow RV parking... most do.  Some don't.

Listen to your gut feelings.  If you don't feel safe, take a nap while someone stays up and drive on till the next one.  Very Important to listen to those instinct.  

Another important thing to consider is that Cell Phone coverage stinks in the national parks campgrounds in the west.  NPS won't allow cell towers to be placed in the parks and one Camp Site host explained that in the more remote campgrounds they don't even allow the site hosts to have a walkie talkie. We usually lost coverage just inside the gates of the parks from then on it was spotty at best.  We usually stayed outside the parks.  

You may want to start looking into campground reservations asap.  We couldn't get into yellowstone last year because it filled up before we decided to go.

What are the laws regarding firearms while traveling? Do most states outside the northeast honor other states licences for travelers? I know MA doesn't accept any firearms licences from other states. I imagine NY would be a problem too.

We don't carry so I am not sure but I think one of the states starting with an I doesn't honor other states either.  It was something I read about in a fulltimer magazine

We had an issue in a parking lot once when Z was a baby. I'm confident we'd have been robbed if my husband hadn't made sure they could see his gun. If we're traveling in the RV, he's carrying.

Same thing with my parents. Middle of the day. Dad stretched enough for a little peek a poo from his gun and the people left them alone.

I believe that every state ill be traveling through is ok with me packing heat. Lol.

Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and the Texas panhandle.

I'm going to call my instructor to be sure.

In Texas, I always assume everyone is "conceal carrying", legal or otherwise. I was taken aback in Arizona when I saw a man on a motorcycle going down the highway with his gun openly carried in an old-west styled holster.

In Texas, I always assume everyone is "conceal carrying", legal or otherwise. I was taken aback in Arizona when I saw a man on a motorcycle going down the highway with his gun openly carried in an old-west styled holster.

Oklahoma just passed the open carry law. Since I already have my concealed I can actually carry my weapon in the open. It still surprises me to see someone openly carrying.