The Many Adventures of PixieB

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forgot about the We Bare All.     And now that you mention it, we could still make fun of uf.     My dog even makes fun of the gators.  I can ask her if she would rather be a gator or dead, and she im

You shut your mouth, PIxie. 

I had such high hopes for you...

Aren't you the guy who likes Mickey's Philharmagic?  I rest my case.

I've often wondered if Beverly would be a good mixer for Gin. 

That could make that darn Italy drink a heck of a lot better!

Caught up...

Way too much to comment on but I will say that I liked the illuminations pics through the palm trees, the pics of the kiddies on the boat and with the characters........and that Figment still SMB.

Thanks! :)  I can be real in saying that liking Figment puts me in a very small minority.  Ha!

Aren't you the guy who likes Mickey's Philharmagic?  I rest my case.

(This Pixie is a sassy one...)

So you're saying that Figment is better than Philharmagic?  

I'm not even going to justify that comment with an argument.

Despite your sassiness, I look forward to your next update!

Day 7

Day 7 was a spa day, whoo hoo!  Stepmom recommended The Affordable Spa, which she frequents.  The Affordable Spa is actually not very far from Port Canaveral, so if you have some time before or after a Disney cruise this could be an option.

I didn't take any pictures, so I borrowed some from the internets.  First, The Affordable Spa is in an unassuming strip mall on Merritt Island-

affordablespa.jpg

And it really is affordable.  Check out these prices:

affordablepricelist.jpg

In Seattle, the prices would be at least double.  Disney Cruise Line, I don't even want to think about it!

There isn't anything fancy, no steam room, hot tub, or expensive decor.  But it gets the job done.

I had the hot stone massage and basic facial.  The massage was really relaxing, and I was ready for a nap!  The guy was amazing.  For the facial, I think the girl was probably new.  It wasn't as zen as the massage, but I can't complain one bit.

Day 8

Day 8 started out as a sisters' day.  E, G, and I went to The Avenue Viera, which is a open-air shopping mall, right off I-95, and about a half-hour from Port Canaveral.

First, as we were pulling in, I saw Pollo Tropical!!!!!  

257.jpg

Ok, I lived in South Florida for about 3 years, and Pollo Tropical was one of my favorite places to eat.  I love me some good fried yuca and a TropiChop!  And for the record I haven't had any in about 7 years.  I freaked out a little.  Ok, maybe a lot.  But, there was some cruel trick, as we were pulling in, it wasn't open.  It was brand-new and still under construction.  Poop.  There was almost a tear.

I set my devastation aside, and we went shopping.  The Avenue Viera is actually pretty nice.

251.jpg

249.jpg

253.jpg

247.jpg

And of course we can't get too far without Disney-

245.jpg

We had lunch at Pizza Gallery and Grill which has a decent-sized gluten-free menu.

242.jpg

244.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic.  I had a gluten-free pizza, as I didn't want to eat something ooey gooey right in front of both sisters who were having gluten-free.  Over the past couple of years I've had many gluten-free pizzas with family.  This one ranks in the top tier.

After more shopping, we headed back to my dad's.  And we did a bit more boating.

289-1.jpg

287-1.jpg

Beyond that bridge is where all of the cruise ships port.  Unfortunately on this day there were no cruise ships to be seen.

273-1.jpg

276-1.jpg

291-1.jpg

306-1.jpg

310-1.jpg

Up Next: Departure Day

Okay, one comment on the spa and then I'll keep my mouth shut.  

If I saw a billboard for "Affordable Spa" while driving down the interstate, I would definitely put that in the same category as a different kind of "spa."  

I'm relieved that the Affordable Spa is indeed a reputable place.

That is all.

If I saw a billboard for "Affordable Spa" while driving down the interstate, I would definitely put that in the same category as a different kind of "spa."  

That is all.

I would think the same!

That is all.

I would think the same!

It's obvious you guys have driven I-75 too many times. 

That strip center is unassuming.

There is a Pollo Tropicale in the on-campus food court at FSU.  I've never tried it as my DD said it was awful.  It must just be that one.

What are these signs on 75 you guys are talking about?

Are you talking about around Gainesville?

TCD

And I quote...

Strippers, need we say more?

Strippers, as seen on Jerry Springer.

They seem to be every few miles all the way down 75.

Seriously.

There is a Pollo Tropicale in the on-campus food court at FSU.  I've never tried it as my DD said it was awful.  It must just be that one.

TCD

For once, we are not making fun of UF. There are signs that say things like Happy Spa and We Bare All all along 75.

For once, we are not making fun of UF. There are signs that say things like Happy Spa and We Bare All all along 75.

Forgot about the We Bare All.  

And now that you mention it, we could still make fun of uf.  

My dog even makes fun of the gators.  I can ask her if she would rather be a gator or dead, and she immediately plays dead.

Bam!

Wow!  So many comments.. 

I am way-super-late to this party.  Just wanted to say great TR  - thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks for following! :)

That is all.

I actually snorted when I saw that!  The affordable spa is indeed reputable, and not of ill-repute.

I would think the same!

Apparently I haven't driven down I-75 in a long, long, time. Ha!

A Pollo Tropical is opening in my town soon.  Looking forward to trying it...you're not the first person to rave about the place. 

In my opinion the fried yuca was the best.  If you haven't had yuca before it's in the potato family, and cut thicker than french fries.

I would have also thought bad things about the spa.

And Dave is correct.

I have seen too many signs along I-75.

Ha!

TCD

I hope it's just that one.  But it has been 7 years since I've been to Pollo Tropical.

And I quote...

Strippers, need we say more?

Strippers, as seen on Jerry Springer.

They seem to be every few miles all the way down 75.

Seriously.

Strippers, as seen on Jerry Springer.  I have no comeback for that.  I think it speaks for itself..

Wow.  Just wow.

Forgot about the We Bare All.  

And now that you mention it, we could still make fun of uf.  

My dog even makes fun of the gators.  I can ask her if she would rather be a gator or dead, and she immediately plays dead.

Bam!

That is a talented dog!

For the record, I have no allegiance any NCAA team.  I went to a geek college that has no football team. I majored in nerd.

Departure Day

Before I left I wanted to see if I could get Dad up in a Parasail. So I did some research.  Cocoa Beach Parasail is located at Rusty's Seafood, which is right at Port Canaveral.  We headed over there.  The information booth is also the hostess stand at Rusty's which was interesting.  Anyways, they ask that you allow an hour and 45 minutes to get out there and back, and they have set times when they depart.  Unfortunately, the times didn't work out with my flight schedule.  So we had to rain check.  But, we decided to do some exploring anyways.

Here's the boat:

317-1.jpg

They're also doing a ton of construction at Port Canaveral. They have an observation deck to the new "egg" they're building.

321-1.jpg

319-1.jpg

320-1.jpg

323-1.jpg

From here we picked up Sister E and headed to the airport.

On the way there I breathed a sigh of relief, as there were a good 25 seats still open on our flight.  That meant Miss V would have a seat of her own.  If you ever wanted to know, Alaska Airlines is staffed by American Airlines in Orlando.  Of course once we got there I immediately asked about an extra seat, and the guy deadpanned no. But.. I just checked and there's TONS of open seats!   The guy said there were more employees on this flight than he had ever seen.  Crap!

We got through security fairly easily.  Once we arrived at the gate, I went to ask again.  Except it was the same American Airlines guy who checked me in at the counter a few minutes ago.  Well, I asked anyways, and the guy said he wouldn't know until everyone checked in.

It was finally time to start boarding, and I visited AA guy to chat about an extra seat.  He said he hadn't checked everyone in yet, and that I would need to take it up with the flight crew.  ??  I was adamant that I was taking Miss V's car seat with me, and that if I absolutely had to gate check it I would.  So I schlepped the car seat, stroller, V, and the bags.  Not very quickly I might add.  On the way to my seat I asked every flight attendant I could about the possibility of an extra seat, and every one of them said the flight was full.  But I could keep the car seat with me until the last second.  I claimed the seat next to me as my own, and put the car seat in it.  So, in not knowing I put Miss V on my lap.  In just a few minutes she somehow got to the floor and put a pretzel in her mouth, grabbed the phone of the person next to me, and threw an in-flight magazine at the seats behind us. Calgon take me away. She's usually very good I tell you! 

More and more people kept getting on board.  I was trying not to make eye contact.  No eye contact here.  This is my seat.. the one that I paid for, right? 

After what seemed like an eternity (and in fact they held the plane for more people), I finally got the all clear from the flight crew, two people were no-shows.  Thank god!  I strapped Miss V in, and we were on our way!

Miss V wasn't into sleeping this time, so I kept her occupied as best as I could.  About 4 hours in that she started to nod off, and slept until we landed.  

326-1.jpg

The guy next to me commented about what a great traveler she was.  It wasn't seconds later that I moved her car set, and what did I find?  A humongous puddle.  I cleaned it with antibacterial wipes, and told the flight crew.  I'm sure they were glad to see me go! :)

So you might think this is the end..  But if you're up for sticking around there's a Disney Social Media Moms event, and a side trip to Snoqualmie Falls. :)

So does Alaska Airlines have open seating like Southwest?

But if you're up for sticking around there's a Disney Social Media Moms event, and a side trip to Snoqualmie Falls. :)

I'll still be here.  Is Snoqualmie Falls the one they used to show in that Twin Peaks tv show?  That was one weird show....

So does Alaska Airlines have open seating like Southwest?

I'll still be here.  Is Snoqualmie Falls the one they used to show in that Twin Peaks tv show?  That was one weird show....

No, but I have the Alaska Airlines app, and had the heads up that no one was assigned to the middle seat.. yet.   :)

It is.  I've never seen Twin Peaks, and didn't know the connection until a friend texted us that we needed to go to the cafe from the show.  More on that later..

Great report until the puddle.  LOL  Glad I'm not a cleaning crew member. :D

Me too!  I felt terrible!  I changed V during the flight, but apparently made it too loose.  Double fail.   :(