New Gasparilla Island Grill - Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

The Disney Food Blog has posted a review of the new Gasparilla Island Grill, located at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/06/23/review-the-new-gasparilla-island-grill-at-disneys-grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/

Excerpts...

flatbread-menu-Gasparilla-Island-Grill-6

Flatbread Menu -- Click to Enlarge

lunch-menu-Gasparilla-Island-Grill-600x3

Lunch Menu -- Click to Enlarge

salad-lunch-menu-Gasparilla-Island-Grill

Create Your Own Salad Station Menu -- Click to Enlarge

bakery-area-Gasparilla-Island-Grill-600x

Bakery Case

more-cupcakes-Gasparilla-Island-Grill-60

Cupcakes!

wines-Gasparilla-Island-Grill-600x337.jp

Red Wines by the Bottle

specialty-coffees-Gasparilla-Island-Gril

Specialty Coffee Machine

margherita-flatbread-Gasparilla-Island-G

Margherita Flatbread

cordon-blue-sandwich-Gasparilla-Island-G

chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich and French Fries

burger-close-up-Gasparilla-Island-Grill-

Burger -- Up Close

german-chocolate-cupcake-Gasparilla-Isla

German Chocolate Cupcake

pina-colada-cupcake-Gasparilla-Island-Gr

Pina Colada Cupcake -- Up Close

Meh.

Same limited selection of overpriced choices like all the other Deluxe Resort counter service places.  I guess "house made chips" are the new thing.  They used to be something special to get at the Polynesian resort.  Now they are everywhere.

The Cuban sandwich does interest me.  A long time ago, before the Disney Dining Plan ruined all of the WDW restaurants, the quick serve restaurant at the Contemporary Resort (which was where The Wave restaurant now is) used to serve a very good pressed Cuban sandwich.

One of these days, I will stop by the Grand Floridian and give their Cuban sandwich a try. 

TCD

The couple times I've stopped by there, they have had a special of the day that was pretty good.

Have you been by there since the refurbishment? I wonder if there is still a special? There used to be special meals offered at the Wilderness Lodge quick serve (one I remember was a chicken fettuccine alfredo), but I haven't seen any specials lately.

Do you recall what the special of the day was that you liked at the Grand Floridian?

If you want a good Cuban, check out the walk up window at Bongos in Downtown Disney.

They also do a sandwich called Media Noche - similar type sandwich but on sweet bread.

I didn't know Bongos had a take out window.

It's unlikely I'm ever going to get a sandwich from there.

I try to avoid Downtown Disney. On the rare occasion that I visit, it is likely I will be eating at Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck express. I still have never tried the chicken place that replaced the McDonalds, and I want to try that some time. Same thing with the Irish Pub- still haven't tried it. So Bongos is way down the list.

TCD

I didn't know Bongos had a take out window.

I'm not sure many people actually know about it but it's actually quite good.

DH and I did our own mini "DTD Food & Wine" one time, and this was one of our stops.  We split the Media Noche sandwich with fries (not steak fries but crispy and fresh) and it was great.

We try and steer clear of DTD later in the week and for sure on weekends, but mornings and early in the week actually aren't terrible. We've walked in/up to many places for lunch without a wait on a Mon/Tue/Weds.

Besides, Paradiso37 has a really great deck overlooking the water and live music (even during the day) so you can chill out and enjoy the view and some of these...

5221884846_661d6c25d3_b.jpg

• 1 year later...

Meh.

I guess "house made chips" are the new thing.  They used to be something special to get at the Polynesian resort.  Now they are everywhere.

TCD

It's just not a WDW thing. The majority of the Sports Bars, Brew Pubs and similar restaurants around here have the same thing. From the couple I have tried when there were no alternative sides and never found them to be very good.