Things you would like to see/ hear about on the Fantasy

As some of you know I am heading out on the Fantasy Saturday. Are there any things you would like to hear more about? See picture/s video of? General curiosity questions I can try to get answered for you. 

While Sil will be more than happy to lay out in the sun with a tasty beverage I will go bonkers in about 2 hours from that so I plan on exploring every last bit of the ship that I can. 

What would you like me to check out and report back on?

I would love to see and here more about the adult nightlife district on board.  If I go anytime soon it would probably be just me and DW the first time around as we have never been on a cruise before.  Thanks J!  You and Sil enjoy the trip! I cannot wait to here all about it!

Well almost all....

I would like to see the crew quarters and recreational facilities, and the brig.

If you go and explore the first, you will likely also be able to explore the second.

TCD

LOL that I might not be able to help with. I don't think I drink enough to attempt the first or to cause the second. 

I would love to see and here more about the adult nightlife district on board.  If I go anytime soon it would probably be just me and DW the first time around as we have never been on a cruise before.  Thanks J!  You and Sil enjoy the trip! I cannot wait to here all about it!

Well almost all....

I will check them out for you and try to get some pics/video

I would like to see you sneak me on board.

And menus.

Explore the whole boat! My husband has seen the Navy brig and wasn't that impressed, so maybe the Disney brig is nicer? Check it out!

PS- 16 days until the EPIC HDDR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woohoo cant wait!

OK, here's a serious one- I would like to hear about Remy and Palo.

Mainly Remy.

I think we would like to eat there, but I am not sure if it is too crazy for us.

Also, I have never seen a clear answer about whether you are supposed to tip the servers in addition to the upcharge you pay to eat there.  We have dined at Palo on previous cruises, and I have always tipped in addition to the upcharge.  That adds up to a tidy sum, and would be even more at Remy.

TCD

Actually, I would love to have confirmation of how early they allow you to enter Port Canaveral.  In 2011 we arrived by taxi at about 9:15 am.  We waited outside in line, and we we entered the actual building about 10 am.  If you're there early when you leave on the Fantasy, could you please let us know the time they allowed people to start entering?  We are a big group this next time around on our Fantasy cruise in September, so we don't want to drag this whole group around too early, but we would love to be among the first to enter the terminal.  We at least could then get nice comfortable seats and take lots of pictures with Mickey and Minnie while waiting.  Have a fabulous trip?  What route are you taking?  Eastern or Western Caribbean?

I will work on Palo and Remy. We have reservations for Palo but like you TCD we are a little intimidated by Remy.

I know I have heard 10:30 to get in but I think sometimes its a variable we will be getting there between 10 and 10:30 most likely so I can report back on that much for you Mikmouse

Oh and we are on the Western itinerary.

Oh cool, that's exactly our itinerary.  So, I will be anxiously awaiting your trip report.  Have a wonderful time and we'll watch you depart on the webcam!  We'll be at a party, but I hope to catch you leave.  Bon Voyage :jumpforjoy

Oh cool, that's exactly our itinerary.  So, I will be anxiously awaiting your trip report.  Have a wonderful time and we'll watch you depart on the webcam!  We'll be at a party, but I hope to catch you leave.  Bon Voyage :jumpforjoy

Oh, and we already have brunch reservation at Palo.  We've been there for dinner on the Magic but never brunch.  Heard it was very good.  

I will work on Palo and Remy. We have reservations for Palo but like you TCD we are a little intimidated by Remy.

Yeah, intimidated is a good word.  I know nothing about French food, and I'm afraid they are going to serve me a poached quail egg in a real bird's nest or something.

It's something I want to try, but I really want to have a grasp on what it costs.  The next time we cruise, everyone in our family is old enough to go, so I would be paying for five.  If I'm supposed to tip on top of the service charge, that will be more than what I typically pay for the whole family to go to a regular restaurant on land.  I'm not sure I am willing to do that.

TCD

Not sure of official policy, but this is how it was explained to me.

The servers at Palo are not paid like the other servers on the ship. The additional charge for eating at Palos goes to the server, so, in essence, you are already tipping them. You can determine if an additional tip warranted or not based on your experience.  

As a side note, any time you order an alcoholic beverage, you are automatically charged a 15% gratuity. So if you tip your server for those drinks, keep that in mind as well.

One note about arriving early. Don't forget your staterooms aren't ready till 1:30 pm.  So you are schlepping your carryons while your trying to manage lunch, etc.

When we cruise again, we probably won't try boarding till later cause keeping up with the carryons was a pain. (Of course, we have a few extra items such as an ECV, some medical equipment, plus the liquor we brought).

Not sure of official policy, but this is how it was explained to me.

The servers at Palo are not paid like the other servers on the ship. The additional charge for eating at Palos goes to the server, so, in essence, you are already tipping them. You can determine if an additional tip warranted or not based on your experience.  

As a side note, any time you order an alcoholic beverage, you are automatically charged a 15% gratuity. So if you tip your server for those drinks, keep that in mind as well.

See, this is what I've heard too.  But, the servers are pretty obvious about providing a tip tray, and some have gone as far to claim that none of the service fee goes to them.

When we've eaten at Palo, I have given a full tip based on what I think the meal would have cost me on land.  For dinner, I'm talking an extra $30 to 40 for just two people.  That gets ramped up at Remy.  Am I supposed to tip 15-20% of what a meal at Remy would cost if we were paying full price?  That is easily more than $100 per person, and would mean a tip of $75 to $100 on top of what I paid for the upcharge for a party of 5.

TCD

I look at it this way,

The food is part of the cruise cost. So I would not use that as an indicator of a tip. No different than the tip you give your regular server or room steward. So no, I would not base the tip off a 15-20% fictional cost. You know the server already gets $10 from you, so if you feel the service you got was worth more (based purely on service not a fictional cost), then tip more. But I would not go more than $20 additional. That's a $30 tip per person. So, a party of two the server gets $60. To me, depending purely on service provided, that's a substantial amount for a tip. Bearing in mind that for a 4 night cruise, the standard tip for your server that follows you around night to night and provides a service for you more than that at Palo is only suggested at $32 for that same party of two.  

OK, here's a serious one- I would like to hear about Remy and Palo.

Mainly Remy.

I think we would like to eat there, but I am not sure if it is too crazy for us.

Also, I have never seen a clear answer about whether you are supposed to tip the servers in addition to the upcharge you pay to eat there.  We have dined at Palo on previous cruises, and I have always tipped in addition to the upcharge.  That adds up to a tidy sum, and would be even more at Remy.

TCD

I can answer for Palo.  We always tip the waiter a little extra when we have gone to Palo.  I think there are a lot of people that do not tip above the surcharge.  I do not think it is stated on any of Disney's sites.

We did the Western Itinerary in December.  Should be much better in July.  The weather was a little chilly for sitting at the beach.  My main concerns of the Western cruise.  1.  Port of calls are way too short.  You can not get off the boat till late and then have to be back on early.  Tendering at Grand Cayman is a PITA.  I felt rushed and felt like I lost my whole day getting on and off the boat.

However, I loved the cruise.

Oh, and we already have brunch reservation at Palo.  We've been there for dinner on the Magic but never brunch.  Heard it was very good.  

The brunch is the best meal.  The selection is awesome and I think it a lot better than Dinner.