Food Allergy Information Kiosk to Open at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

This seems like a great idea to me. I'm guessing it will be expanded to all parks. It's great that people can meet with chefs, but knowing which CS are best for a specific allergy and what snacks are available would be helpful.

http://www.chipandco.com/food-allergy-information-kiosk-open-disneys-animal-kingdom-158441/

Just confirming the straight skinny from The Mouse...

Animal Kingdom park will be offering information and some new snack options to Guests with food allergies beginning August 4th.

The new Gardens Kiosk is located on Discovery Island next to Adventurers Outpost.  The kiosk will offer Guests with food allergies and intolerances the ability to purchase pre-packaged snacks and get information on meal options throughout the park to accommodate dietary restrictions.

The goal is to reduce the need to Guests to repeatedly ask for specific food information each time they visit food and beverage within the park.

Menu changes are also coming to AK beginning August 4th:

- Dino Diner, Trilo-Bites, Beastly Kiosk and others will be transitioning to selling snacks only

- Meal-type offerings such as turkey legs and hot dogs will now be sold at Quick Service restaurant locations

I am glad to hear this.  It should help a lot of families that unfortuanately have to ask while in long lines at the restaurant.  We'll see how many allergies are addressed at the kiosk.  I am sure there is a limit as to what they can look up, but the basic nut, dairy, gluten, etc. should be covered - but probably not my issue - red dye #40.  I have been impressed with CMs who have happily talked to chefs for me. I know to skip red colored stuff, but you would be amazed how many other things have it!   Bless one CM's heart - at Kona he went to ask the chef but was "sure" that the compote served with Tonga Toast was completely all natural.  He was a bit chagrined when he returned to tell me it had red 40.  Oh well, Tonga toast is still amazing, even without the sauce.....

• 2 weeks later...

From the Disney Parks blog...

Beginning August 4, guests with food allergies and intolerances visiting Disney’s Animal Kingdom will have an easy way to learn about meal options in the park that can accommodate dietary restrictions – and pick up some healthful, prepackaged snacks.

VOD203874SMALL.jpg

The kiosk, located on Discovery Island next to Adventurers Outpost, is called the Gardens kiosk. Here guests can stop and chat about food allergies or intolerances such as gluten or wheat, lactose or dairy, peanuts and tree nuts, shellfish, soy, fish, eggs and corn. And while you’ll be directed to the best restaurants to accommodate your needs, it’s important to still speak with a manager or chef at the restaurant – but you’ll already know exactly what the restaurant can accommodate before you begin your meal.

You can also pick up snacks at the Gardens, including popcorn, desserts, chips, hummus with vegetables, granola bars and a gluten-free beer. Vegan sweets from Baby Cakes also will be offered – all-natural, organic goodies that are made without wheat, gluten, dairy, casein and eggs.

The Gardens is open daily from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.

While this is the only park with a kiosk, guests with food allergy concerns can always speak with a manager or chef at many Walt Disney World Resort restaurants, who will do their best to accommodate. For more information, visit Disneyworld.com to review special dietary requests, or send an email 14 days prior to your visit with specific needs to [email protected].

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/08/disneys-animal-kingdom-theme-park-debuts-special-kiosk-on-august-4-for-guests-with-dietary-restrictions/

hummus with vegetables

granola bars

gluten-free beer

Vegan sweets

all-natural organic goodies

As yummy as all that stuff sounds, does it cost more than the regular versions?

But of course!!! 

Still, I am glad to see they are providing the service.

More from the Disney Food Blog...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/08/06/review-new-vegetarian-fare-and-allergy-kiosk-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Excerpts...

Kamals-Menu-532x625.jpg

Kamal's Menu -- Click to Enlarge

Falafel-Sandwich-Kamals-569x625.jpg

Falafel Sandwich at Kamal's -- Available with Choice of Chips or Apples

Samosas-Kamals-600x606.jpg

Samosas

• 2 years later...

Animal Kingdom Guests who have food allergies should note that the Discovery Island kiosk (a small quick-service location offering allergy-friendly food options) will be closed between August 12 and September 2, reopening September 3.

The multiple allergy-friendly options that are available within the kiosk will not be offered in the park while the location is closed. Guests that have food allergies can still speak to chefs/coordinators at other locations for assistance.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/08/allergy-kiosk-temporarily-closing-at.html