Magical Express testing drop off/pickup at Downtown Disney

As part of a test, from August 1-31, guests using Disney's Magical Express and staying at the Port Orleans resort can opt to leave for the airport from the Downtown Disney Area rather than POR. This gives people one last opportunity to enjoy the shopping, dining and entertainment at DTD.

In addition to stopping at DTD to drop off or pick up guests that decide to go to DTD, a bus will still have to stop at the resorts to pick up or drop off guests that don't want to go to DTD, so I'm not seeing a cost savings. If anything the additional stop will add to costs. 

What's the motivation or reason for this service? Will the money that guests wouldn't have spent at DTD make up for the added service?

For us, when we have say a 1 pm pick up time, we don't normally do anything but stick around the hotel (and not spend much money). We don't want to waste a park tix for 3 hours, and I worry about us having some form of delay and missing our ME pick up. But DTD we would easily spend more money than at the hotel. However, we normally have at least 2 carry ons, and once the baby is born, 3. So unless they have large lockers at DTD, it would be a PITA to drag around the carry ons.

And, I wonder if your whole party has to be at the same place? A lot of times we share reservations with my parents and I can see them waiting to stay at the resort while we would go to DTD or vice verse.

So unless they have large lockers at DTD, it would be a PITA to drag around the carry ons.

Nope, it won't work for you, however, it's my guess that most people using DME have their luggage taken care of by DME as it's one of the two main marketing features that is used to promote it. That being the case, I think a fair number of people will take advantage of the service.

For us, when we have say a 1 pm pick up time, we don't normally do anything but stick around the hotel (and not spend much money). We don't want to waste a park tix for 3 hours, and I worry about us having some form of delay and missing our ME pick up. But DTD we would easily spend more money than at the hotel. However, we normally have at least 2 carry ons, and once the baby is born, 3. So unless they have large lockers at DTD, it would be a PITA to drag around the carry ons.

And, I wonder if your whole party has to be at the same place? A lot of times we share reservations with my parents and I can see them waiting to stay at the resort while we would go to DTD or vice verse.

Sounds like you need to fly Southwest.

We usualy only have a book bag, diaper bag and the stroller as out carry on.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

In addition to stopping at DTD to drop off or pick up guests that decide to go to DTD, a bus will still have to stop at the resorts to pick up or drop off guests that don't want to go to DTD, so I'm not seeing a cost savings. If anything the additional stop will add to costs. 

What's the motivation or reason for this service? Will the money that guests wouldn't have spent at DTD make up for the added service?

I can see the busses going additional resorts, 5-6 stops. The additional amount of $ guests spend will make up for it.

I would like to see incoming guess get dropped off at DTD or the parks with resort check in at the airport. Then the front desk staff at the individual resorts would be reduced to only 1 person. To make it work, I think disney would need to allow guest to check bags for mears to transport to the hotel.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• 6 months later...