FINALLY!

FINALLY!        :yaysmilesa-smiley:

FINALLY!

We got a pop up!  And we are so excited to use it.  

We already have one reservation at the Fort and one other pending!

But, this is new to us so to those of you who have a pop up or a camper with little space what is your best advice you have on taking your toy out?  

We are a family of me & 3 boys (husband included in that head count).  We love to camp, geocache, scout, anything outdoors and I LOVE to cook.  I have a few drawers in the camper that I can keep my kitchen gadgets.  

But any advice or info would be GREATLY appreciated!

When we got our camper, we bought cute plates - the Corelle plates you can buy separately - plastic glasses, etc. I don't think we've used them yet. We use paper plates and cups because I don't want to do dishes on vacation. Don't buy too much at first. See what you use of the stuff you already own before you by dedicated camper stuff.

Have fun!

When we had a pup, we put all of our food in plastic tubs & stored these in a tent & our suitcases & any other bulky items. This gave us more room in the pup. I had smaller plastic tubs for each person to put a couple days of clothes in. These stored under our bench seats by the beds. The tent really gave us lots more room in the pup. Enjoy! We had ours for 5 years but recently traded it in. It served us well.

We grew up camping in a pup and Mom and Dad had one for many years before they finally gave in and bought a TT. I am sure we should have bought stock in rubbermaid! We used those tubs for food, clothing, and even firewood. We had each tub labeled with a person's name or the contents. Some of them we kept under the back pop-out bunk, some in the truck. 

Congrats on the pup! I hope to see you at the Fort soon!

I've got a closet in my camper that had a hanging rod, I found a Sterilite drawer set that fits in the closet and put folding clothes in the drawers

In the kitchen, I've got a cabinet and put a small set of Sterilite drawers in there for silverware, serving items, some tools, grill lighter, etc.

If you have a cabinet directly under the kitchen sink, see if a plastic utensil tray will fit under there.  You can put items in the utensil tray and it also serves the purpose of catching any stray drips from the sink plumbing

Command Adhesive hooks are your friend

There is a great pop up forum, popupportal

If you fit in here, you will fit in over there too.

Is the popup new or used?

How old are the tires? Over 5 years, get new ones.

Do you have a brake controller and +12v charging line installed in your tow vehicle?

Make sure your tires are at the max pressure listed on the side wall. Only check the pressure cold, the pressure will increase above the max cold pressure when the tires are hot, that is normal.

Are the tires the correct load rating?

When were the bearings repacked and axle seals changed?

Don't forget to check the spare.

Even if the trailer is new, check the age of the tires and make sure the load ratting is correct for your popup. You never know when the dealer swaps tires around or the manufacture uses what ever is in stock

Camping is no fun on the side of the road.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

We loved our pop-up.  I too used storage bins, some stayed in it with the gear we always brought, some came back home and got re-packed for each trip with what we needed (always depended on where we were camping and what we'd be doing).

I used old linens that became our camper ones, some people prefer sleeping bags, but I made the beds up each time.  Also bought nice mattress covers for the beds to add a little comfort.  Between trips I brought the linens home, washed them and then stored them in zippered bags with some dryer sheets to keep them fresh and keep moths out (kept them in the garage).  Same for towels - used extras from around the house, washed and stored in sip-up plastic storage bins in between trips.  Then all you do is grab the plastic bags and throw them in the totes for your next trip.  

Our pop-up had fabric upholstery and it got so it smelled kind of funny between the humid air and dirt from kids (I also have 3 boys, 2 small one large).  When we graduated to a TT it happened to have vinyl upholstery and at first I thought yuck, but I found it was much easier to clean and odors don't linger.  I would throw a towel or fleece blanket on the bench seats some times for comfort while sitting.

Arthur's tips above are very important.  A lot of people will tell you that you don't need a brake controller at that weight but I disagree, and it's not that big of an investment.  I also joined an online pop-up forum, HUGE help for advice with technical stuff.  I'd add to that be sure you bring along a tool box with essential tools for any repairs that might come up while you're camping, as well as some rags or old towels to lay on in case you have to get under it.  I remember having old beach towels to wipe down the tent ends before folding it up if it had rained or there was dew from the night before.

One of my handy items is an old towel that I use as I'm packing up hoses, electric cord, etc.  Wiping the water and sand and dirt off of them as I'm coiling them up back into the camper.

My favorite accessory is a BAL leveler (if your Popup is single axle).  You slide that thing around the low wheel and crank the screw to level the trailer. No backing up onto blocks.

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-R-V-Products-Group-28050/dp/B000BH5MAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375042806&sr=8-1&keywords=bal+leveler

:laugh:   So funny!

I was thinking the same thing.  Who the heck wants to do dishes on vacation.  

I do have a set of plastic cups JUST IN CASE we run out of solo cups - ya know what I mean!

are you bringing that solo cup I saw you with on FB?  :rofl2:

548266_10201728978932391_426776110_n.jpg

As a pup owner I recommend making bunk covers made from reflectix. I made my bunk covers this year and had no problem keeping the camper cold. Congrats on new toy. We are also in the process of starting a YouTube channel on repairs, upgrades, and just general pup living. Crazycampercrew. We have a couple videos posted already and more to come.