We went to Canada! (and not the one in EPCOT!)

After we checked in and got some of our stuff settled, we stopped and checked out the view for a while. It was 8 and we were starving. There was a TGI Friday's in the hotel lobby, so we figured we would just eat there. They said it was a 20 min wait and it was a lot longer. Adam and I actually bailed and hit Starbucks for a chocolate milk for him (he liked it but I thought it was gross because it was milk with nasty chocolate flavoring) and I got a hot caramel apple cider. We were heading back to the room to eat what we had there and Brian caught up with us and said the table was finally ready so we went back. Adam and I were both tired, cranky and pretty miserable at this point.  I know I wasn't totally pleasant to be around. We were able to quickly speak to the chef and discuss food allergies and find out what was safe. I have no pood forn because I left my camera in the room. I had chicken fingers and fries, Brian had blacken chicken Alfredo (which looked like it say under the heat lamp too long) cheeseburger for Adam. I have  to say my chicken fingers and fries were awesome. The bill was insane, the amount of taxes was a shocked, I think there was 3 different taxes on there and one was %13.5! 

The hotel included a breakfast buffet and had signs by the elevator saying 7-8 was the least busy and each hour after it got more crowded. I decided I wanted to get there as early as possible to be able to talk to a chef. So the plan was for me to get up first, shower get dressed, and figure out what was going on and then either bring Adam back down later or just eat in the room if we weren't comfortable. They gave us a voucher to use, and I was able to give it to the hostess, and she just wrote on the back that I used 1 so the rest of our group could come down when they were ready. 

I looked around first to see what Adam might like and then found  a chef. They had this sign posted, but I still wanted to confirm everything. IMG_3854.jpg

Because of there being some form of nuts on the buffet, the chef got everything from the back so we didn't have to worry about cross contamination. They had a buffet with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes (they were awesome!) pancakes (awful!) french toast sticks (like Burger Kings, we liked them) yogurt, fruit (plums, bananas, yellow plums, watermelon, apples) cereal, white and wheat bread, English muffins (and a toaster) some type of muffin. Then they had the cooked to order egg lines, omelets or however you wanted your eggs. I had mine over easy every day and they were great. My MIL got an omelet each day and was happy with it. The breakfast included was great. It was nice to not have to leave the hotel for food and to be able to fill up on decent food. You could take the food to your room (which we always did) or sit in the dining room over looking the falls. 

I took my food up and ate with Adam will Brian and his mom got ready and then went for their food. 

The plan for the day was to go to Bird Kingdom since it was spitting a little and was supposed to clear up. We were all pretty excited about Bird Kingdom, it looked really neat. The only way to pay for parking was in quarters. We needed 8 of them, since I had just gone to the shore, I was lacking on them and had to tap into my secret stash for pressed pennies. Once we paid, we headed inside. Only to be greeted by a huge sign that said "warning, the birds consume peanuts/tree nuts and there are traces of them around our facility, on our birds and trainers". Huge problem, this meant we couldn't go in. Adam handled it better than I did. I felt awful, it was my suggestion to go there and I never even thought about birds eating nuts. I was on the verge of tears because I felt so awful, but he really took it like a champ. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is definitely a correlation.  Wouldn't have it any other way - we Canadians are very happy with our Universal Health Care!     Niagara Falls is more expensive than average because of the tourism

Is it rude to ask how much the rooms cost? Looks amazing!!!!

our total bill for 3 nights, with the $35 a day parking and taxes out the wazoo was like $1086. I can find the breakdown for you. We had to pay an extra $25 a night because we had more than 2 adults in the room. We also paid to upgrade to be on a higher set of floors, our original room was to be on floors 10-15 but by upgrading when we checked it, our room would be on floors 20-28

The taxes up there are crazy.  They have the GST, PST, and Niagara probably has a separate tax too in addition to the provincial ones.  It used to be that US citizens could save their receipts and get a GST refund before coming back over the border, but I think they got rid of that.  INC and I used to go to Toronto for shows or to shop at Ikea and that refund was always a lot of money. 

After the Bird Kingdom slip up, we headed back to the car (and using almost all of my pressed penny quarters!) We headed to Whirlpool Aero Cars. Looking back, had I thought about this, I wouldn't have gone on them. I don't like ferris wheels, I don't like sky rides, why on earth would I like this thing?

Some info I copied from their website

Soar the Great Gorge, high above the racing Niagara River. You'll be transported through the air in an antique cable car, while far below the torrent of water abruptly changes direction and creates one of the world’s most mesmerizing natural phenomena – the Niagara Whirlpool. Sometimes frightening and always unforgettable!

Please note that this attraction is NOT wheelchair accessible.

The Aero Car was designed by a Spanish engineer, Leonardo Torres Quevedo and has been in operation since 1916. The cable car is suspended from six sturdy cables and offers a wonderful view of the Niagara Whirlpool which is formed at the end of the rapids where the gorge turns abruptly counterclockwise, and the river escapes through the narrowest channel in the gorge.

• The aerial cable car travels safely between two different points of the Canadian shore of the Niagara River over the spectacular Whirlpool.
  • A round trip is about one kilometer (3,600 feet) and takes about 10 minutes to navigate, carrying its capacity of 35 standing passengers.
  • The Whirlpool Aero Car opened on August 8, 1916. Upgrades in design and function occurred in 1961, 1967 and 1984.
  • Check out White Water Walk and walk the boardwalk alongside the raging rapids that twist and turn through this incredible phenomenon.
Admission Info

$13.50 Adults (13+ years), $8.50 Children (6 to 12 years). Children 5 and under are FREE! Free parking is also available when visiting the attraction.

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

Once you cross to the other side (you don't get off) they have you rotate where you are standing in the car so you can get the view from the other side. we were the first car of the day, so it was the 4 of us plus one other couple. 

Don't look down!

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

I would have been holding Brian's hand too if Adam hadn't beat me too  it!

IMG_3873.jpg

The "other side" They used to let you get off here and look around but have since stopped. I'm sure it's because they can get more people  off and on by skipping it.

IMG_3868.jpg

According to Brian this was the most expensive 30 seconds of his life (next to asking me to marry him). It was really quick, but I'm not sure I needed it to last any longer! I'm glad we did it but holy cow if that thing would have broken down I probably would have had a panic attack. 

The parking was free at the Whirlpool Aero car, which was nice, because most places we had to pay. Our $2 parking ticket didn't go to waste from Bird Kingdom, we were able to pass it on to someone who was pulling in. 

I'm looking at my notes and we pulled into the parking lot of the Whirlpool Aero Cars at 10:07 and were leaving by 10:36. That included buying tickets, walking down to the car, going on it, taking some pics after, poking around the gift shop and stopping to wash our hands because something was rusty somewhere and we all had dirty hands. So that gives you an idea of how fast it really was. 

Next we went to the Butterfly Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. Parking here was $5.  You could walk around the gardens for free but the Butterfly Conservatory was $13.50 Adults (13+ years), $8.80 Children (6 to 12 years). Children 5 and under are free.  There is a video that you can watch before you enter, but  we skipped it because we had purchased tickets for a horse and carriage ride around the botanical gardens and wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to see the butterflies before our tour at noon.

IMG_3881.jpg

Conservatory, restrooms and gift shop

IMG_3883.jpg

This poor little guy was on the floor, we unfortunately saw one dead guy on the floor that got squished. Thankfully this guy moved and was safe.

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

These guys were smarter and opted for the wall

IMG_3892.jpg

A lot of the butterflies had damaged wings :(

IMG_3895.jpg

They had a few of these set up with oranges and bananas for the butterflies.

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

High prices . . . YUP - we got 'em!

High taxes . . . YUP - we got 'em!

Our restaurant meals are at least 30% higher than in the USA, so are hotels.

In Ontario they've combined the Federal Goods & Services Tax (GST) and the Provincial Sales Tax (PST) into one Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) and it's 13 1/2%.  We pay it on almost everything we buy!

A gallon of reguar gasoline is about $5.00 and 24 cans or bottles of beer will set you back about $38.00

But we sure do have a nice view of those Niagara Falls!

In Ontario they've combined the Federal Goods & Services Tax (GST) and the Provincial Sales Tax (PST) into one Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) and it's 13 1/2%.  We pay it on almost everything we buy!

A gallon of reguar gasoline is about $5.00 and 24 cans or bottles of beer will set you back about $38.00

And you have socialized medicine. Think there is a correlation?

I don't remember if I posted this earlier in this report, or if it was on FB....but for YEARS that cable car was operated by a 60hp engine from an old Buick.  Now tell me, when was the last time Buick made an engine that only put out 60 horses?  Yeah, it was old.  Now they have a more reliable power source...they have about 20 little Chinese immigrant kids pulling on the cable.  Ok, I made that last part up.  But if you've ever been to Niagara Falls, you could believe it. 

I just hope the cable isn't the original. I remember as a kid my dad would never ride that thing because he was sure it was the original cable and didn't trust it. That was 40 years ago.

Class of 2000 :)

It's not old for people but do you really feel safe and that something from the 80's isn't going to have you plummet to your death?!? Besides me, not much good came from the 80's!

But it's from 1916, not 1986! 

Easy way to remember....

1916:  Cable car of death

1986:  DIT graduated from High School

That is a 70 year difference.  Oy.  :rofl3:

I honestly wasn't sure how Adam was going to like it all, I knew he would enjoy it just not sure how much. The only big trips we have done were Disney 3 times and a shore house, this certainly wasn't Disney. But he totally loved it. He has been asking to go back and bath time has been him playing Maid of the mist with his boats, Erie Canal, etc. I figure that he must have really enjoyed it he is playing "vacation", you know?

But it's from 1916, not 1986! 

I c&p this from their website "

• The Whirlpool Aero Car opened on August 8, 1916. Upgrades in design and function occurred in 1961, 1967 and 1984.

Personally, I think they should just say upgrades have been made through out the years and leave out the exact years. I'm thinking the less you know the better on this one. Our "guide" was probably 15 (and my source of 1986, so who knows). Oh and my MIL wanted to know why there wasn't life jackets...  :rofl2:

I wasn't sure if it was just crazy taxes because we were in a tourist area, or your whole country. I hope your pay meets the taxes! lordy! 

thankfully we filled up in NY and didn't need to buy gas, so we paid $3.85 a gallon. 

I honestly wasn't sure how Adam was going to like it all, I knew he would enjoy it just not sure how much. The only big trips we have done were Disney 3 times and a shore house, this certainly wasn't Disney. But he totally loved it. He has been asking to go back and bath time has been him playing Maid of the mist with his boats, Erie Canal, etc. I figure that he must have really enjoyed it he is playing "vacation", you know?

That is awesome that he enjoyed it so much!

The butterfly conservatory was really neat, you couldn't believe the amount of butterflies everywhere (or people who were total tools and busting through the place like they had a major bathroom emergency to get to). It was getting pretty hot in there and it wasn't that hot or humid out, so I can't imagine going in there when it's nasty out or later in the day. We spent about an hour in there, and I easily could have stayed longer but Adam had seen enough. Plus his was slightly upset because he didn't have as many butterflies land on his as he liked. Being the awesome parents we are, we totally  lied on the way out and told him he had 5 on his back, he bought it and was happy again, score for us. 

The butterflies dump you out into a gift shop, my dad had given him $20 to buy something on vacation and he found a stuffed red poison dart frog that he wanted. I remember the days I used to get money from my dad for stuff, Adam has bumped me out of line for money from Pa. 

We had reservations for the horse and carriage ride, some how I only took a picture of the horse and not the carriage. It was 4 rows of seats and each seat held 2 people, the fabric was like crappy crushed velvet. Not the most pleasant but whatever, the tour was about 40 mins long. We had the option of sticking Adam on our lap so we didn't have to buy him a ticket, yeah no way was I putting 45 lbs on my lap for almost an hour. I think it was about $18 a person.

IMG_3928.jpg

The driver was telling us all sorts of things about the horse, about how she doesn't like cars, and when she backs up, she likes to back up into stuff, etc. Nothing that you really wanted to hear before going on a 40 min tour with "Princess" pulling you.

I thought the botanical gardens were going to be lots of flowers, but it was more trees and shrubs, but it was still enjoyable. It is also the Niagara Parks School of Horticulture. The students are in charge of all the care of the 99 acres with the exception of cutting the grass. It's only $3,000 a year and included your boarding for your first and second year. There is about 33 students, and getting in is very hard, they said it's very who you know. the students also work 40 hours a week for a $1 an hour and have a chef during the school year! 

IMG_3929.jpg

You can rent this area to have a wedding.

IMG_3931.jpg

Some type of tree (it's supposed to look like this)

IMG_3933.jpg

Greenhouses

IMG_3934.jpg

This is where the students stay. The tour guide said don't let the outside fool you, it's not pretty inside, it looks like a typical dorm.

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

This is the teachers' offices. It used to be a train station, but when it was no longer in use they purchased it and had it moved.

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

The garden that the students grow their produce in

IMG_3941.jpg

This is a little blurry but you can see the ugly fabric I was talking about and the tree in the background is some type of redwood. They don't know how large it will get because it's only around 40ish years old.

IMG_3945.jpg

We could have walked around the gardens and saw more, but it was getting hot and we were getting hungry. We decided to leave and head to the Floral Clock and then get some lunch. 

It's impossible to get a picture without strangers in it.

IMG_3946.jpg

Got to love all the power lines in the background. Red The poison dart frog and Duffy made an appearance too. 

IMG_3948.jpg

and I'm too short to get a better pic.

IMG_3950.jpg

This is where I need to rant, people are stupid. There was low hedges around some gardens here and some ding dong lady was sitting on them to have her picture taken. She was squishing the crap out of them and sinking. Come on, don't sit on freaking shrubs! 

Here are the shrubs she was sitting on.

IMG_3953.jpg

We saw this crap shop, I mean souvenir store on the way to get some lunch so we stopped. My MIL wanted to buy a beach towel and couldn't find them anywhere. I don't know what her obsession was with getting one.

IMG_3956.jpg

They had lots of oversized souvenirs outside. 

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

Pressed "token" machine. Canada is phasing out the penny so a cooper colored token is used for your penny. 

IMG_3969.jpg

We wanted to take Adam to the Rain Forest Cafe, he loves that place (yet sits with his ears covered for the thunder storms). It was located in the Clifton Hill area (aka suck you from your money overpriced tourist area). We had trouble finding it because it was tucked down between 2 buildings. We finally found it and then found a parking lot, for $15 ugh. Had we opted to park forever and a day a way, we could have had paid $5 but no one wanted to walk that far.

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

Dave, I apologize for the lack of poof forn, I have failed as a good fiend. I had a house salad with a turkey wrap. I was surprised I got packets of mayo with it instead of a cup. It was really good.

IMG_3974.jpg

Adam's cheese pizza

IMG_3975.jpg

There was a random character parade during our lunch.

IMG_3978.jpg

We decided since we paid to park we were going to do the stuff we wanted to while we were there. We had orginal planned on eating and then napping but paying $15 to park changed that. 

Harley Store

IMG_3983.jpg

Up next was the Skywheel

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

We were only supposed to get 3 revolutions on the Skywheel but they forgot to take us off (it was pretty empty) and ended up going around 6 times, for once we almost got our monies worth lol.

My parents love Tim Horton's, but we don't have them in our area so they only get them when they travel. Being the wonderful daughter I am, I took pictures of it for them. Sadly, we couldn't eat there because of nuts, or I would have. 

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

The Ferris Wheel was invented by George Ferris, who graduated from my school. He was a couple classes ahead of me.

My wife calls Sponge Bob - Square Bob Yellow Pants. I have no idea why.

And you have socialized medicine. Think there is a correlation?

There is definitely a correlation.  Wouldn't have it any other way - we Canadians are very happy with our Universal Health Care!

I wasn't sure if it was just crazy taxes because we were in a tourist area, or your whole country. I hope your pay meets the taxes! lordy! 

thankfully we filled up in NY and didn't need to buy gas, so we paid $3.85 a gallon. 

Niagara Falls is more expensive than average because of the tourism . . . but Canada in general is much more expensive than the US.

Yes, our wages are typically higher too.

Somehow we still beat the USA every time when the OECD measures standard of living and quality of life.

Somehow we still beat the USA every time when the OECD measures standard of living and quality of life.

OECD, come on Gary, how many people even know what that stands for? 

We need reputable sources like People Magazine, USA Today, or TMZ to tell us which country has a higher standard of living, Canada or the US?