Haroldsphone10_14_12652.jpg

Our first camper was a VW bus that looked something like that one only green. In fact here is a picture of my dad by the old VW.  The thing only had a 69HP engine and would only do 65mph downhill.  We were a family of six so we had to get along very well. OK there was a lot of screaming. But we took it to Florida 3 or 4 times and to Pickwick Dam every weekend from May until August for a few years.   

Thanks for that link, Dave.

That tent is cool.

Contrary to popular belief, I have nothing against VW vans.

It's just when there's hippies in them that I have a problem.

And here's a revelation that may blow your minds.

See the catholic school girls in this photo?:

NJ1969_zps586a9503.jpg

Those are two of my sisters standing outside of our new freshly built Levitt and Sons home in beautiful Willingboro, NJ in September, 1969.

Do you see what's parked in the driveway?

The original TCD gang rolled in a VW bus for a few years there in the late '60's.

My dad is about the furthest thing you can think of from being a hippie though.  In fact, when that photo was taken, he was in Viet Nam fighting commies.

TCD

TCD that is just minutes from where I live now!  I knew you were from Jersey but not that area……for some reason I thought you were closer to the SE shore/Wildwood.

We went to tour one of the boys' schools yesterday and the librarian told us her mom lives in Dunedin, but she hasn't been to visit.  I told her she must go!

Anyway, that is a cute photo of your sisters.  Did you go to Catholic schools as well?  How old were you when you moved to FL?

Thanks for that link, Dave.

That tent is cool.

Contrary to popular belief, I have nothing against VW vans.

It's just when there's hippies in them that I have a problem.

And here's a revelation that may blow your minds.

See the catholic school girls in this photo?:

NJ1969_zps586a9503.jpg

Those are two of my sisters standing outside of our new freshly built Levitt and Sons home in beautiful Willingboro, NJ in September, 1969.

Do you see what's parked in the driveway?

The original TCD gang rolled in a VW bus for a few years there in the late '60's.

My dad is about the furthest thing you can think of from being a hippie though.  In fact, when that photo was taken, he was in Viet Nam fighting commies.

TCD

The commies comment made me lol. Actually really loud. Somehow I think you have some hippie roots,

TCD that is just minutes from where I live now!  I knew you were from Jersey but not that area……for some reason I thought you were closer to the SE shore/Wildwood.

We went to tour one of the boys' schools yesterday and the librarian told us her mom lives in Dunedin, but she hasn't been to visit.  I told her she must go!

Anyway, that is a cute photo of your sisters.  Did you go to Catholic schools as well?  How old were you when you moved to FL?

Hey - I didn't know you already moved.

Dunedin isn't that big of a place- maybe I know the teacher's mom?

I went to Catholic school just until about half-way through the second grade.  We had too many kids in the family, and there was a brand new school for us to go to there in Willingboro, so we all went to public school.

We lived in that house for about ten years.  I graduated from Willingboro High in 1979, and we all moved to Florida right after that.

The commies comment made me lol. Actually really loud. Somehow I think you have some hippie roots,

If my dad had not been an Army officer, chances are he would have been a hippie.

He was a card carrying Republican before it was cool.

But, he does have some unique view on things.  He definitely does not trust "The Man."

TCD

Hey - I didn't know you already moved.

Dunedin isn't that big of a place- maybe I know the teacher's mom?

I went to Catholic school just until about half-way through the second grade.  We had too many kids in the family, and there was a brand new school for us to go to there in Willingboro, so we all went to public school.

We lived in that house for about ten years.  I graduated from Willingboro High in 1979, and we all moved to Florida right after that.

If my dad had not been an Army officer, chances are he would have been a hippie.

He was a card carrying Republican before it was cool.

But, he does have some unique view on things.  He definitely does not trust "The Man."

TCD

Yes, been here since the 15th.  It has not been fun, or easy, and we've had several bumps in the road that we are still trying to get over.  But, we are here safely, the boys have made a friend across the street and they really hit it off, and one of the two schools has been a very positive experience…..and I am grateful for those things.

Someday, if I ever get out from under the mountain of boxes and paper and find where the movers hid all of our stuff, I will get back to visiting FF on a more regular basis.  Probably just in time to pack it all up and move again (we're renting….long story).  As I can count the people I know here on one hand with fingers to spare, I will need my virtual pals to lean on.

I was going to be very surprised if you had said you attended parochial schools……doesn't show!  You're too well behaved.

isn't Willingboro where they had to make a law about putting for sale signs up at one point because everyone wanted out all at the same time?

Yes.  Very good.

That law was challenged in court, and the case went all the way to the US Supreme Court. The law was declared to be unconstitutional under the First Amendment, and that case is in most of the Constitutional Law textbooks used in law schools.

My family and I lived through that as it was going on.  Willingboro completely changed in the ten years we lived there.  But, I would not trade that experience for anything.

TCD