A Long Overdue Family Vacation

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed your trip report!  You guys managed a reunion and an awesome history lesson all in one. 

Hope you get to do even more next year!

Thanks! We had an awesome time and it was nice to make it a little bit educational for the boys. Can't wait for next year to get here!

Wow Tom,  you were blessed with finding that tire....   You also drove through my back yard on your way from Gettysburg...   Several of your photos are from Berks County or as we refer to it  " Dutch Wonderland"...  Next time your coming to Gettysburg let me know and we can meet up...    If you want ghosts and the kids to see something unique,   take a day and do  Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia. 

I would love to do the Eastern State Pen! We have watched several documentaries about it. I'll give you a yell next year when we are heading that way and hopefully we can meet up. 

Great TR. I loved all the pix and especially the history lesson. Doolittles Raiders display was awesome.

Thanks for reading along! Glad you enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun to write it up.

• 1 month later...

There were some replies to this post when I put it up originally, I found this article (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123368299 ) on the news regarding the Doolittle Raiders and thought there might be some interested people here. The Raiders are having their final "Goblet Ceremony" on November 9 and we are all welcome to observe this ceremony via the web. I am planning to watch, wish I lived closer as I'd go stand on the side of the road and show my respect / support for these guys!

This next display, right behind the B-25, was really moving. A tribute to the 80 men who made the B-25 a household name in 1942. Here are two photos of the sign which explains the display, and a couple photos of the display itself.

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

You can see that at the time of our visit there were only 4 goblets upright. There was a chart next to the display that listed the names of all 80 men and their duties during the raid. As I said, already, this was very moving to me. 

If you get to Centrailia Pa there is also a old Mine tour you can take in Ashland Pa that is not to far from there also there is a great old amusement park close by called Konobels they also have camping there.