A Long Overdue Family Vacation

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We left off visiting the Reptile House! I was really enjoying this Zoo. I think I forgot to mention that school had gone back in session? This meant that there was not much of a crowd here at the Zoo. That was excellent! It was pretty hot out today in the sun, but Mother Nature took care of us and gave us some cloud cover to cool us off. The Zoo also has several misting fans placed throughout it that help keep you cool.

Our next stop was to see a crowd favorite:

IMG_4766.jpg

I wish I had taken a picture of the sign posted on the fence stating that the gorilla’s are known to throw “clumps of mud” when they get agitated. That made me chuckle.

He was hiding in the corner of his enclosure, he actually laid down and was holding his head in his hands like he had a headache while we were watching him. Again, photo fail on my part.

I know some of the readers here enjoy the little signs like the next few that some places put out. These were literally everywhere at the zoo. It was very interesting reading many of them, even though it annoyed the rest of the folks in my group!

IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

Across from the Fig tree was the “Night Hunters” building. The boys and I had some more humor thanks to an insurance company that likes to advertise a lot. “Who? Who? Who?”

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

Photos do not do this bird justice, he was gorgeous! The size of him was surprising to me, and he kept turning his head so it appeared that he was looking directly at my older son the whole time we stood there. His eyes where huge, I could have stood there watching him all day.

These guys were down the hall from Mr. Owl. They were super cute, they looked like little tiny tigers. The max weight is 11 pounds.

IMG_4774.jpg

This whole building was lit with black light type fixtures and was very dark. There were people taking flash photography in here (you know, rules don't apply to them), but I am an animal lover and it made sense to me that if they keep the building this dark, these animals probably don’t care to much for the bright lights. That being said, I have a bunch of black photographs from inside this building.

This next guy is another good looker. He’s a little bigger than the last kitty we saw though.

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

Finally got him to look our way

IMG_4788.jpg

Here’s a blurry picture of a snow leopard:

IMG_4789.jpg

He’s in the middle of the photo, laying under the trees.

Next we took a quick break for some really expensive frozen slushy drinks. Then it was off to ride the carousel. Here’s my MIL and I helping my youngest on to his eagle for the ride.

IMG_4790.jpg

My MIL and my DW

IMG_4792.jpg

As we were getting off the ride my youngest son noticed that the eagle he had ridden was hungry and had grabbed himself some lunch

IMG_4796.jpg

I also noticed that the tiger my MIL had been riding was showing his teeth and some claws. I could actually see this being a little scary to a younger child. Maybe it’s just me though

IMG_4797.jpg

As we walked away from the carousel the boys took turns wrestling alligators! It was scary

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4799.jpg

Those green cups you see are what the slush came in. They got to bring them home, but they had to carry them around all day. 

This next guy weighs in at over 220 lbs. He is an alligator snapping turtle. I do not ever want to meet one of these guys in the wild. Thanks, but not thanks

IMG_4801.jpg

The lion enclosure is very nice. There is an elevated boardwalk that circles the entire area and lets you get as up close as I ever want to be with a lion. I have a couple of blurry pictures from right on top of the two lionesses, and then one from the other side of the walkway looking across to where they were laying.

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

If you look close at the last picture there, you can see the fence through which the first three photos were taken, it is just above and right behind the lions through the trees. It show you that there wasn’t a lot of zoom on those first three photos, the walkway lets you get right up next to the animals. It was very nice. 

Next up:

IMG_4810.jpg

This was a noisy little guy

IMG_4811.jpg

I love penguins, it was so much fun to sit with the kids a laugh at them wandering around. Not to mention the boys were trying to convince us that all the King Penguins had eggs under their bellies.

IMG_4818.jpg

The enclosure was set up so you had a good view of them under water as well as about, it was really nice.

There were several of these guys just wandering around throughout the zoo. The kids really wanted them to open up and show their plumage, but none of them did.

IMG_4823.jpg

This was the firepit outside the Italian style resteraunt that we ate an early dinner at. Food left a lot to be desired and was very expensive. But the theme was nice and the landscaping as well.

IMG_4825.jpg

As we came out of dinner this was crossing the street in front of us.

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

I’m kind of a train nut and have turned the boys into the same, so we were all looking forward to heading to the station to get a trip on the train. Are we going to make it? You’re going to have to wait to find out because that last photo makes 30 (if I counted right) so the great train mystery will have to wait till the next update.

Are you sick of zoo photos yet? It’s ok if you are, we only have a few more, and we are going to completely change directions on Tuesday! Hold on to your hats……another update coming soon

Great zoo pics!

Thanks, stay tuned, more to come tomorrow!

Awesome trip report. I too love waffle House, their omelets are fabulous! I read somewhere that they put some waffle batter in the eggs to help make them super fluffy!

I'll take just about any excuse to head south from here to anywhere that I can get a Waffle House breakfast at

The Zoo photos are great so far.  Our Zoo has a train but it costs much more extra to ride it.

This Zoo has multiple levels of entry. We chose the highest level which gave unlimited rides on the train and carousel, as well as entry to a 4-D theater with an Ice Age themed show the kids loved, it worked out to $23.40 per person for the 5 of us. I didn't think that was unreasonable at all and the Zoo is Huge!

Ok, I think I can squeeze in one more short update this evening.

We left off coming out of the restaurant we had our dinner at and watching the train go through the crossing. We were having a debate as to what time the Zoo closed tonight, it was just about 5:50 at this point. I saw a sign coming in that said it closed at 6pm, my MIL and DW were sure it was going to be open later. I had noticed while we were eating dinner that the employees in the restaurant had been cleaning up so I was pretty sure I was going to win this one.

Armed with that confidence I tracked down the nearest Zoo employee I could find and asked what time they closed. It was indeed a 6pm closing tonight. Hearing this  the boys insisted we hurry off to the train station and try and get a ride. The train had just pulled in as we walked up and we were told that they would squeeze in one more run for us. We had the entire train to ourselves, it was nice.

This engine was parked on the siding next to the station. It looked like it was well taken care of.

IMG_4828.jpg

The train travelled through a good portion of the Zoo and across a long bridge through the middle of a lake in the Zoo. The train crossed the bridge very slowly so we were able to see some of the fish in the water as well as several turtles sticking there heads up and swimming around. Here’s the pics from our ride.

IMG_4830.jpg

IMG_4832.jpg

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

I thought we had more photos from the train ride, but that was it. It was now time to make our way to the front of the Zoo and head out. The one thing this place lacked was signage for the exit. We had to ask an employee how the heck to get out of this place!

I appreciated the flower beds in the middle of the park and grabbed a couple of shots:

IMG_4837.jpg

IMG_4838.jpg

The kids wanted to say goodbye to the doormen, I think I know how baby’s ear was broken off now:

IMG_4839.jpg

When we had arrived earlier and parked I noticed the very large parking lot was mostly covered with what I thought were angled steel panels. I assumed to help keep some sun off the cars. They looked like this

null_zps00a439bf.jpg

null_zps6f2465f3.jpg

It wasn’t till we were walking out that I looked a little more closely and realized they were indeed trying to keep the sun off the cars, because they were tying to collect it! The parking lot is covered almost entirely with Solar Panels that generate about 20% of the electricity the Zoo uses! How cool is that?

It is the MeLink Solar Canopy.

IMG_4842.jpg

That’s it, all the pictures I have from the Zoo. Moving right along now….

I have a thing for our Flag. I Love It! And my DW knows this and is always trying to get pictures of the huge flags flying along the highway when we travel. So as we were coming up I-75 she got this picture of the Flag hanging from a crane on the side of the highway

IMG_4844.jpg

What she didn’t realize at the time is that she also got a picture of a GIGANTIC Rubber Duck!

On September 21 they will hold the 10th annual Rubber Duck Regatta on the Great Miami River which snakes through the middle of Dayton. 15,000 rubber ducks will be dropped in and race down to the finish line. People can sponsor a duck and if they win there are “great prizes” awarded. The money raised goes to help disabled children and adults in Dayton. I bet this is a fun event to see. A close up of the big duck

IMG_4845.jpg

The semi truck in that photo should give you some idea of just how big this duck really is!

That was it for Monday. We got back to the camper and DW step dad met us there and we hung out and had some dinner and then it was time to say good bye for the night and hit the sack.

MIL and Step Dad were both working on Tuesday so we were going to be left to our own devices to entertain ourselves. Not to fear, I had a plan, and I was pretty sure it was going to be an awesome day!

We got up and had some breakfast then it was out onto the road to put my big plan in action.

I had listened to my father tell a particular story several times from his days in the Army. He was on his way home from Vietnam for emergency leave as his father had passed away while he was overseas. His flight home was going to leave him at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base for several hours one afternoon. Well, not being one to sit around and do nothing he did some looking and found out that there was a museum on WPAFB, the National Museum of the United States Air Force. This was in 1968, but the museum had been started in its earliest forms in 1923, so there was a substantial collection even at that time.

It wasn’t long before we were seeing things like this:

IMG_4848.jpg

The three hangers you see here are the museum. The tall cylindrical building houses several rockets of various types.

IMG_4852.jpg

A decoration in the yard

IMG_4855.jpg

And we are here!

IMG_4859.jpg

The round building here is the just recently completed IMAX theatre.

The best part about this museum, it doesn’t cost a penny to get in. There is a charge for the IMAX theater, but the entire rest of the museum is free to the public. I think this is a good place to wrap it up for tonight. I have a lot of pictures from this museum that I will share with you tomorrow with any luck.

Is this fun yet? It’s only the beginning of day 4, we still have 4 more full days of pictures to go! Thanks for reading along…..

Joe

Nope, not sick of zoo pictures. Love the kitty pictures! They are so cute..

I have never heard of an alligator snapping turtle..that thing is scaaaary! 

I had heard of the Alligator Snapper before, but had never seen one in person. The picture really doesn't do this monster justice, he was HUGE! His claws were a good 2 inches long. I like turtles, but not this one!

Looking forward to the museum pics, Joe. 

Get ready, they are coming soon!

Great TR! 

It has the perfect balance of great photos, fun kids, an adorable dog and rhino butts!!  What more do you need??  :)

Rhino Butts! (I couldn't help it, it makes me smile every time I type it) Thanks for reading along

Love the zoo pics and really looking forward to the pics from the museum. 

Thanks for checking out our report! I failed to mention that we were only able to cover a little more than half of the zoo in the time we spent there, about 5 1/2 hours. We have several zoo's around us at home that we have visited often with the boys, but this Zoo is so much nicer and so much larger than anything of those. We really enjoyed it and it is definitely on the agenda of our next trip to Ohio. Museum pics coming right up....stay tuned!

We ended our last update as we were pulling up to the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. I grew up a few miles from Naval Air Station South Weymouth in Mass, and it was really cool to have witnessed the constant jet traffic over our little town. In fact, when I was a teenager my father and I returned home from the annual 4th of July party at my grandparents late one evening and a twin engine jet, I believe it was a Tomcat based on looks alone, went over our house at a very low altitude with flames coming out of the turbines. My dad and I watched it fly over, then he turned to me and said, “I sure hope they’re just celebrating the 4th!” NAS South Weymouth was closed in 1997 and it has been quite in the skies over home ever since. I was hoping that being in such close proximity to such a large Air Force base would mean we would see a lot of traffic overhead that the boys could experience. It wasn’t meant to be, we saw a couple of jets fly over, and a few large transports, but that was really it. Anyways, enough reminiscing, let’s go to the museum!

You enter into a long rectangular building between the hangers and the IMAX theatre. There is a lot of information available in this little room. They have maps of the facility, a model of the soon to be constructed 4th Hanger showing the layout of the displays that will be in there, as well as two info desks staffed by volunteers. I don’t know exactly how accurate this info is, but I was told that the museum gets no funding from the government and is run entirely on donations and gift shop sales.

IMG_0310-1.jpg

When you leave the entry way and start to walk towards the exhibit halls you go through the gift shop. It was very nice and for the most part reasonably priced. T-shirts where between $14 on the cheaper side, and $29 on the more expensive side. They had everything you could imagine, posters, hats, model air planes, toys, and lots of Air Force Bling. We were hoping to find some Air Force Parent paraphernalia as my step son is serving, but they had nothing parent related for us.

In one corner of the shop they had an item that got me very excited. I am a biker, and I have been a huge fan of American Chopper and Paul Sr and Paul Jr’s work for a long time. They have the Air Force Bike built by OCC on display!

IMG_0311.jpg

That’s my DW and DS1 admiring it in the background.

IMG_0313-1.jpg

IMG_0312-1.jpg

The detail on this machine is mind boggling! I will say though, as much as I liked looking at it, I don’t think I’d want to ride it very far, just doesn’t look comfy at all. But if the museum is looking for someone to garage it for them, I’m more than willing.

The first section of the museum you come to into is called “The Early Years”. This chronicles the time period from the Wright brothers through the end of World War I and the time leading up to World War II.

IMG_0314.jpg

That’s me in the white shirt walking in with the boys

IMG_4861.jpg

They first plane you approach is a replica 1909 Wright Military Flyer. This planes motor only had 30 horsepower. My lawn tractor has 2/3’s of that, and there is no way I’d consider flying on my lawn tractor. These guys were absolutely crazy amazingly brave and determined. You walk around the corner and it is instantly WWI

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

I was surprised and excited to learn that the museum not only displays the aircraft of the United States, but also has aircraft from around the world as well

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

I was really sucked into this next exhibit.

IMG_0321.jpg

I spent quite a while reading most of the autographs. It was really cool.

IMG_0320.jpg

I also learned about President Theodore Roosevelt’s son, a story which I don’t think I had ever heard before.

IMG_0322.jpg

Could you imagine being several thousand feet in the air, sitting in one of these two seats?

IMG_4863.jpg

No Thank You!

Anyone up for a ride in the AutoGiro?

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

Here we have a Boeing P-26A

IMG_0324.jpg

Hanging above the P-26A was a Douglas O-38F. There was a monitor playing a long video of the story of this plane. It crashed in the Alaskan wilderness in 1941. The pilot and mechanic who were on board survived. They were air dropped supplies and then had to hike for 10 days to the nearest civilization to be rescued. The pilot later reminicesed that it was the best 10 days of his Military career. The plane sat in the wilderness for 27 years until it was recovered, by helicopter, to be restored by the Museum. The Alaskan weather had preserved the plane so well that only the wings required major restoration, and that damage was done more by the crash than by time. I was so interested in the video,  I forgot to take any pictures of the restored aircraft. Fail!

This is a North American BT-14, displayed showing what could happen to a rookie pilot taxing with a tail wind who hits his brakes too hard.

IMG_0326.jpg

You can see the pilot getting chewed out by the commanding officer on the left of that photo.

Next up:

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

How about a blurry B-25 picture

IMG_0330.jpg

I learned that the nosecone of the B-25 could be removed, in the field, and changed depending upon the type of mission the plane was going to be flying. There was a bombardier nosecone with the plexiglass windows and two fixed forward firing guns. There was also a more streamlined metal nosecone that housed 8 .50 caliber machine guns.

This next display, right behind the B-25, was really moving. A tribute to the 80 men who made the B-25 a household name in 1942. Here are two photos of the sign which explains the display, and a couple photos of the display itself.

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

You can see that at the time of our visit there were only 4 goblets upright. There was a chart next to the display that listed the names of all 80 men and their duties during the raid. As I said, already, this was very moving to me. 

I believe that is the limit...30 more photos in the book. We’ve got a ways to go yet, back soon with another update

Joe

Moving on through the WWII side of the museum, I apologize for not having a lot of info about the next few planes, I’m just learning how to do this trip report thing and was really just in awe of the displays at this point.

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

Seeing the Swastikas on the sides of many of these aircraft, like the ones below, really brought home how real this was. These aren’t just aircraft in a hanger, these are the real deal, they were over Europe and the Pacific and won the war for us.

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Here is a B-24 Liberator. I apologize if the language on the side offends anyone.

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

DS 1 + 2 with an anti-aircraft gun

IMG_0343.jpg

Not sure on the details of these next couple

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

A German V-2 Rocket

IMG_0346.jpg

Looking down one of the rows of planes in the WW II hanger.

IMG_0344.jpg

A P-51 Mustang. I have been enamored with this plane since reading Chuck Yeager’s autobiography, “Yeager,” many years ago. The freedom that these pilots had once they took off is unprecedented in today’s modern military. If you like to read, and enjoy learning about a little history, I highly recommend this book.

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

For obvious reasons I had to take a picture of this plane as it’s my namesake

IMG_0350.jpg

I had to ask exactly what the bombs painted on the side of this bomber meant, each bomb represents a completed bombing mission. My namesake had been pretty busy!

IMG_4880.jpg

The nose of the “Little Joe”

IMG_0351.jpg

Don’t mess with “Little Joe”

IMG_4881.jpg

This was a different looking aircraft

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

I think most of you may have heard of this plane, another one that made me stop and say wow, imagine being in this plane almost 70 years ago and doing what those brave guys had to do! It is hard to imagine.

IMG_0354.jpg

DS2 wanted to get his picture taken with “Fat Man” and he didn’t mean his dad!

IMG_0355.jpg

And right beside “Fat Man” was this little guy

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

It’s almost unfeasible to me that so much destruction can come from something so small.

This quilt was created for the 50th anniversary of the Air Force. It was very nice. Here’s the boys checking it out

IMG_0358.jpg

I think this is a good place to take a break. We have lots of museum pictures left. I am still having fun writing this up for you guys, I hope your all enjoying reading along. I’ll be back in a while with another update.

Joe

Here we go again. Hope you are  ready for some more museum photos.

We left off looking at the 50 year anniversary quilt. On the other side of the hall where this quilt is was a series of paintings done by a Vietnam Veteran. I wish I had better quality photos of them and their descriptions, they were magnificent.

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4888.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4890.jpg

Here is my DW checking out the intakes on an F-22 Raptor.

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

They had an extensive display on POW / MIA ‘s. As the display indicates the hash marks on the wall represent the 2,689 day Air Force Maj Lockhart was held captive in Vietnam.

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

That’s a lot of hash marks.

Next up was the Missile and Space Gallery. It was great to stand in among the Titan, Minuteman, and Peacekeeper missiles.

IMG_0373.jpg

These are Minuteman reentry vehicles, one new, one used. The amount of damage done on reentry is astonishing.

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

I really wanted to get a good photo of this next plane, but the hangers walls were painted black, the plane is black, and the lighting was dim. This is the SR-71 Blackbird, and these are the best two photos I was able to get of her. She was beautiful!

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

The Blackbird still looks like space age technology today, in my opinion. And it was introduced 49 years ago and retired from service 23 years ago!

This next picture is an interior shot of the cockpit of the Blackbird. My son told me he didn’t think he’d want to fly one of those because of all the buttons he’d have to learn.

IMG_0377.jpg

Across from the Blackbird was this machine gun. It was as big as my dining room table!

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

And beside the machine gun was one of the big boy toys!

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

The next plane was from the Operation Desert Shield / Storm. It flew 172 missions, more than any other plane. And notice the WWII Swastikas have been replaced with a new design.

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

Going to take a break here, this is a good place. I think we will wrap up the museum photos in the next update. Then we are going to ride some rides on Wednesday! I’ll post another update soon

Joe

I am in...   What an awesome trip so far, and the museum is fascinating.  I had no idea about Quentin Roosevelt.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for chiming in with us! I used to think of myself as a US History nut, it was one of the few topics I paid a lot of attention to in school, and I don't recall ever reading or hearing about Roosevelt's son.

That museum is awesome. Reminds me of Pensacola NAS but with cooler stuff.

More fun still to come....stay tuned!

Damn. Take me on your next vacation. Zoo, train ride, military museum. This is some good stuff here.

Damn. Take me on your next vacation. Zoo, train ride, military museum. This is some good stuff here.

You think it's fun so far.....wait till I get to the pictures from Wednesday!! (not to mention Saturday) 

Keeping this report moving, we are still only on Tuesday, and Wednesday is going to be a big day….let’s get these museum photos finished up!

They had several cockpits on display that guests could climb into and try out the fighter jock life. Here’s the boys trying them out.

IMG_4893.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

Someone didn’t like something that was just said to him!

IMG_4896.jpg

Didn’t take him long to get over it though!

IMG_4898.jpg

This was the cockpit of an F-16 Fighting Falcon. I can not imagine spending hours at a time inside one of these.

IMG_4900.jpg

I think the DW would have made a pretty hot fighter pilot, I am a lucky man!

IMG_4901.jpg

The sign outside the display

IMG_4903.jpg

Another photo I wish had come out much clearer. This is the nose wheel door on the B-2 Stealth Bomber on display. The “Fire and Ice” is painted on (so the sign said, looks like a decal to me) and represents this planes use in extreme environmental testing. This testing took place at Eglin AFB in Florida, and Eielson AFB in Alaska. When the testing was complete the crew painted this panel then they all signed it with sharpie.

IMG_4907.jpg

Here I am looking at it before taking the above picture

IMG_4908.jpg

We had just about had it at this point. It had been a long day looking around so we decided to head to the food court in the museum and get some lunch. We had some acceptable food court food, nothing too awful, but nothing I'd race back for either. The tables to eat at sit beside very large windows that look out over the Air Park. It was during our lunch that we saw the only fighter jets in flight of our whole trip. You could hear them before you could see them, there were two and they flew by a couple times and then were gone. I really miss that sound from my youth next to the air base. 

After our expensive lunch we headed down into the gift shop for a more thorough look around. Here is DS1 showing us that he is still a child at heart and not nearly as grown up as he wants us to think he is!

IMG_4909.jpg

Yet another photo fail, in what the museum refers to as the “air park” out side they had several different models on display that you could walk up to and touch. One of these was a C-17 Globemaster. This plane was my third celebrity encounter of this vacation. 1st was the “What day is it” camel, 2nd was the “Who? Who?” owl, both of Geico commercial fame. This plane was in fact a movie star, it has appeared in Transformers, Transformers 2, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and the video for Toby Keith's "American Soldier". How cool is that? On the fuselage where bombs or swastikas have been located on other planes, this plane had movie cameras. It was creative.

Next up was a small Nissan Hut that had been brought over from Europe and reassembled just as it had been used during the war. I had one of the best moments of my vacation in this small hut. The hut was staffed by another volunteer who had greeted us as we came in. He introduced himself and explained that he could answer any questions we had.

I mentioned that I am a biker earlier in this report, I was wearing a shirt for the  “Rolling Thunder” motorcycle event in Washington DC. The volunteer came up to me and said he’d like to speak with me. He explained that he was a WWII Vet and had recently been on an Honor Flight to see the WWII Memorial in Washington DC. He explained that when they got off the plain in Baltimore they were met by a group of bikers from Rolling Thunder and the Patriot Guard and they were escorted all the way in to the Memorial site and back to the airport afterwards by these bikers. He said it was almost midnight when they got back and he asked one of them, “don’t you people have anything better do?” the biker replied, “This is what we do”

He wanted to thank me for supporting them and everything I do. I was choked up that this Hero who put himself on the line for us wanted to thank me. I told him it was the other way around and I needed to thank him. He said “hogwash” and he shook my hand.

As you probably guessed, photo fail right here. I should have asked to take a picture with this man, I didn’t think of it. I walked away from this encounter with goosebumps all over.

In case your interested, the "Honor Flight" program provides free transport to Veterans to Washington to visit the Memorials dedicated to them. They do this absolutely free of charge. It is a wonderful program. You can see more about them here if you want to http://www.honorflight.org/

Here’s the pictures of the “Belly Tank Bar” in the Nissan Hut:

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

The three hangers that will soon be joined by a fourth

IMG_4916.jpg

That’s it for pictures in the museum. We walked back to the parking lot now and took a walk around this area.

IMG_4860.jpg

It is huge, at least the size of two football fields. There are monuments all over the place out here. We would have liked to walk around and see them all, but we were all pretty tired of walking by this point, and it was hot out in the sun! I took photos of some of the ones that stood out to me:

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

The names of all the Airmen who have been awarded the Medal Of Honor are on these tablets

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

And one last photo as we drive out of the parking lot

IMG_4928.jpg

From here it was back to the campground for some relaxing around the campfire. The kids made it in time to take a hay ride while we were getting dinner ready

IMG_4936.jpg

We ate and turned in for some rest. It had been a great day, but we must have walked several miles so we were tired.

Tomorrow MIL and Step Dad are taking us to King’s Island. I’ve never been there before, in fact, I’ve never even heard of it before. But I broke out the laptop and looked it up and I am Excited!! I love roller coasters and this park has a lot of them. Weather looks great, it's going to be a good day!

Sorry for getting a little long winded in the middle there, but I really wanted to share the story of the WWII Vet, it was a great personal experience that I will not soon forget!

Last update for today, I should be able to get a couple in tomorrow, we’ll see. The wife has been working on my Honey Do list all day today. I might be busy!

Joe