Have I got this right?

...the hitch weight gets counted in your payload (plus people, pets and luggage in the tow vehicle).

...and the towing capacity is the gross weight of the travel trailer plus the carrying capacity (also...does the carrying capacity account for all the fluids at full?).

I just don't want to buy something I can't even pull or struggle to pull.

Yes plus everything you load into the camper should be added, we do not travel with our tanks full of water or leave a campground with waste water always empty, we might have a little water just incase we need to use the bathroom.

FWIW.....I've found that half ton trucks or suv's don't really like to be close to the max tow rating. They feel like white knuckle death wagons for the most part. Maybe towing 80% of max might be relatively stress free....maybe.

3/4 and 1 ton diesels will tow at max all day long with little or no more stress than towing empty.

We use to tow a 30 foot tt with a half ton Suburban and really only once was I uncomfortable with it, but when we got the 3/4 ton with the 454 motor boy what a difference it was also in fuel mileage but yes I would agree stopping is also a very big issue. I am always surprised when I walk thru campgrounds and see some peoples set ups I am sure they don't have a clue.

Yes plus everything you load into the camper should be added, we do not travel with our tanks full of water or leave a campground with waste water always empty, we might have a little water just incase we need to use the bathroom.

I think we'll probably do the same to keep it as light as possible.

FWIW.....I've found that half ton trucks or suv's don't really like to be close to the max tow rating. They feel like white knuckle death wagons for the most part. Maybe towing 80% of max might be relatively stress free....maybe.

3/4 and 1 ton diesels will tow at max all day long with little or no more stress than towing empty.

Interesting. The TT we're leaning towards with maxing out the cargo capacity is 90% of my total tow capacity but I have a hard time believing we'll really max out the cargo capacity while we're driving because as dblr....Rennie said, we won't travel with the fluilds full and we're a military family so we're pretty good at being minimalists with packing.

We use to tow a 30 foot tt with a half ton Suburban and really only once was I uncomfortable with it, but when we got the 3/4 ton with the 454 motor boy what a difference it was also in fuel mileage but yes I would agree stopping is also a very big issue. I am always surprised when I walk thru campgrounds and see some peoples set ups I am sure they don't have a clue.

We're hoping to buy a dedicated bigger tow vehicle in about 4-5 years. My problem with going to truck (although I'd love to be able to get a 5th wheel) is that we will have three kids in January and we have a 90lb dog so the tow vehicle might be tight is we don't have an SUV

3 kids and a 90lb dog would be very cozy even in a crew cab truck, a friend use to travel with his dogs in the camper but I never really thought that was a safe idea. Just make sure you get a good brake controller, Prodigy makes a good one, and it is installed and set up right in your tow vehicle and you should do fine. Happy hunting and as usual bring any more questions you have here to the experts :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

If you can get a Ford Excursion with the 7.3 diesel I would grab it, that would make a great tow vehicle for a TT and match it with a Hensley Arrow or the Pull Rite swivel hitch I might give up my 5th wheel for that set up. But once again only my opinion.

3 kids and a 90lb dog would be very cozy even in a crew cab truck, a friend use to travel with his dogs in the camper but I never really thought that was a safe idea. Just make sure you get a good brake controller, Prodigy makes a good one, and it is installed and set up right in your tow vehicle and you should do fine. Happy hunting and as usual bring any more questions you have here to the experts :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

lol...I still trust you all more than a dealer...thanks for the tip on the Prodigy. I'll add it to the list of things to tell my husband

There are 3/4 ton suburbans and the ford excursion can tow a house if you need it to.

We've been looking into them...most seem to be 4x4 and my husband had read that it's actually better to tow with a 2wd vehicle...have you had any experience with one over the other? Seems counter-intuitive to say 4x4 isn't as good

If you can get a Ford Excursion with the 7.3 diesel I would grab it, that would make a great tow vehicle for a TT and match it with a Hensley Arrow or the Pull Rite swivel hitch I might give up my 5th wheel for that set up. But once again only my opinion.

I'll take all the opinions I can get. I've heard others say good things about the Hensley Arrow too

We've been looking into them...most seem to be 4x4 and my husband had read that it's actually better to tow with a 2wd vehicle...have you had any experience with one over the other? Seems counter-intuitive to say 4x4 isn't as good

You lose a little bit of payload capacity and towing capacity with 4wd because of the added weight of the transfer case, front axle, and driveshaft. Most people that need 4wd (like myself) consider this acceptable. 

Newb moment but who or what is L?

Larry - the King of Mods, Tree Hugger extraordinaire, Self Proclaimed Expert on Towing, Tow Vehicles, Weight, Tires, Hitches, Brakes and Portable Freezers.

There are 3/4 ton suburbans and the ford excursion can tow a house if you need it to.

Also I think in the 3/4 and 1 ton models, you loose independent front suspension when you get 4x4. Thus you lose asphalt traction and have a rougher ride.

The 4x4 usually sit up higher and might have softer springs which makes the truck feel more wobbly.

In my experience the best tow vehicle ever has been the E150. Nice short rear over hang (1/2 of a F150, minimizes the trailer leverage). Nice seating setup for long hours driving. Enough space for a family of 5 + German Shepard. And the nice sound of a 351.

I hope the new Transit can live up the Econoline reputation. If the diesel duratroq is available, I will be test driving.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

three kids in January and we have a 90lb dog

It's just the two of us and a 90 pound dog in a crew cab F-250 and it's tight.  We actually had 2 dogs, but lost Natasha last December and it was extremely tight with the two of them in the back seat.  No idea where you would put 3 kids.....

You lose a little bit of payload capacity and towing capacity with 4wd because of the added weight of the transfer case, front axle, and driveshaft. Most people that need 4wd (like myself) consider this acceptable. 

Agreed.  I tow all day long with a 4X4 and all I loose is a little of my capacity.