To Cart or not to Cart, that is the question....

So here's the story, we have two trips planned to the Fort between now and the first of the year.  Both these trips and any others through next summer will be be myself and two kids under 5. For these next two trips I'm looking at spending over $500 for just renting a cart vs putting the money to purchasing a used one. I think it would be easier to have a GC but I also have a bike with attachment to haul the girls around.  My other concern is hauling the GC, we have a 2500hd that sits high and I would be handling that solo.  I'm a little intimidated with loading/unloading it into our bed.  Whats maintance like with golf carts? 

Other than changing batteries and washing/waxing, we've had very little maintenance to do on our carts.

How high is the bed of your truck?  I'm intimidated loading ours, too.  We got extra-long ramps to make the incline less steep.  But remember it takes awhile to tie down the cart once you get it loaded, and you have to store the ramps somewhere.  Also, our ramps are aluminum but I still can't move them by myself.  

Loading and unloading can be a little intimidating the first couple of times you do it. Here's a little trick I've used when I when I tried to load my GC into my old 4x4 pickup. If there's a ditch near by simply back the truck down the ditch. This drops the rear of the truck and makes the ramps less steep. I've got a ditch out at the farm that's steep enough that I don't even need ramps.

As far as maintenance. Do you want a gas or electric? With a gas, well think about your car, its a motor the oil will have to be changed, spark plugs go bad etc.

An electric you basically check the water level on the batteries, and keep them charged. Batteries wear out and will need to be replaced. And there not cheap. About $120 each. Our electric is four years and the batteries are as strong as ever. Just keep them charged especially in the winter. Discharged batteries will freeze and they'll have to be replaced. Our gas is a 1988 model ez-go 2-stroke. As far as the engine. I think I've replaced the spark plug a few times. A replaced the battery a few times, regular car battery, and had the rear seal replaced, $150.

I like them both.

Electric are easier to maintain but it runs on batteries and if the kids forget to put it on the charger after driving it all day and I wake up the next morning to ride to cafe for breakfast and I run out of juice I get a little cranky, yes this has a few times.

In the beginning of the summer I check the water level, clean all the battery terminals, and drive it.

At the end of the summer I check the water level and put it on the charger, it has a maintainer mode. I will also check it every 2-3 months to make sure the water level in the batteries is ok.

Gas. You just get up and go. Beginning of summer I fill it up and it lasts till labor day. At the end of summer I top of the tank, put in some fuel stabilizer, and put the battery on a maintainer. Ready for the winter.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Ray. Seriously. I have been thinking of getting a around the farm golf cart and this helped me. Wasn't sure on the maintenance of a battery golf cart. Also wanted to know how much a month it runs up your electric bill?

Your welcome. Glad it helped.

If you buy a used cart make sure you check out the batteries. They're expensive. Also best way to buy a used electric is directly from a golf course. Golf courses rent their carts for about 2-3 years and then get new ones. My local course just got new ones and a couple of the members bought 3 yr old electric carts for $1500.

Your welcome. Glad it helped.

If you buy a used cart make sure you check out the batteries. They're expensive. Also best way to buy a used electric is directly from a golf course. Golf courses rent their carts for about 2-3 years and then get new ones. My local course just got new ones and a couple of the members bought 3 yr old electric carts for $1500.

Thats what I'm looking for, I live 30 minutes from Pinehurst, there has got to be some used ones up there for cheap!  Thanks for all the info and I'm still looking for others input too:)

I figured it was because of the "pollution". I don't know what kind of gas carts the have in Myrtle Beach but my old 2-stroke, IMHO, isn't loud.

Anyways here's a cart I found for you http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/rvs/4060706524.html

You could use it to sneak up on Fiends at the Fort ans FWG in the 3000 loop.

If (actually when but it will be awhile) I were going to buy a cart, it would be from one of our sponsors.....

The Golf Cart Shop Sun City
www.alumacarsuncity.com
Phone: 813-634-CART
Golf Cart Sales, Service and Rentals

They're good people and would deliver it to the Fort for you. And they'll even customize your seats for you!

I figured it was because of the "pollution". I don't know what kind of gas carts the have in Myrtle Beach but my old 2-stroke, IMHO, isn't loud.

Anyways here's a cart I found for you http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/rvs/4060706524.html

Nice! Those are a dime a dozen around these parts!  I actually found one with duck blinds......

If (actually when but it will be awhile) I were going to buy a cart, it would be from one of our sponsors.....

The Golf Cart Shop Sun City

Phone: 813-634-CART

Golf Cart Sales, Service and Rentals

They're good people and would deliver it to the Fort for you. 

Ban on gas carts?...... Yeah right. The only cart I have ever seen banned was an obnoxious lifted 6 seater that was probably well over 7 ft high. As far as putting the GC in the truck bed, go to harbor freight or northern tool an pick up a 1500# winch an mount it in the truck bed and while using the remote watch the GC slowly make its way in the bed

That's a pretty good deal

Ban on gas carts?...... Yeah right. The only cart I have ever seen banned was an obnoxious lifted 6 seater that was probably well over 7 ft high. As far as putting the GC in the truck bed, go to harbor freight or northern tool an pick up a 1500# winch an mount it in the truck bed and while using the remote watch the GC slowly make its way in the bed

Exactly what I've been looking to do!  I've got the winch, just trying to figure out placement.  

I mounted my winch on the front of the cart, I used the truck battery to winch it up, I am too chicken to drive it up if I don't find someplace that has a ditch.

Where do you hook it to in your truck bed?  I was looking online and a guy bent the mess out of his bed trying to pull up a cart.