I really want another camper! Our family has done tents, pop-ups, motor homes and travel trailers in the past; but our dynamic is kinda different now. Our family unit is my Mama, brother (Runner) my 25 year old son and me. We need room to spread, but want something easy and efficient to travel with.

We are renting a 5th wheel from http://makecampingeasy.com/?page_id=10 to make sure we are ready to hop back in the camping world! We are so excited! :rofl2:

If you have any suggestions pros or cons about one type of RV or another please jump in with your opinion!

If you are lookibg for a trailer what will you tow with? This will give us help on what to recommened or would you prefer a motorhome, you have so many choices to look at it could mind boggling.

That's the beauty of it right now to me! We don't have a truck, so we can go whichever way we choose. My brother has leaned towards the 5th wheel toy haulers, I like the smaller hybrid toy haulers or a motor home. I'm sure we'll post here with different options as we come across them!

Sounds like you need 4 different bedroom / sleeping areas?  Unless you are willing to compromise on privacy while travelling thats going to narrow your choices right there.

5th wheel with bunk rooms at opposite ends?

Class C with twin beds in the rear?

Class A with twins and bunks and a drop down bed over the front seats?

;D :heart: :heart: :dance: :dance:

Mama and I don't have a problem sleeping together, the boys however, prefer their own bed! I like the idea of a motor home because we wouldn't have to buy another vehicle and I have found some serious good deals out there, but I worry that if something goes wrong with the motor part we'll be grounded. I had a big old winnebago and loved it! Of course, I also had a handy husband at the time to maintain it! ;D

Ok, how about:

Class A or C toyhauler towing a small camper van, maybe a sprinter type.  That gives you two vehicles for emergencies, a toy garage, plenty of living space depending on the floorplans, and flexibility if you want to go somewhere the larger vehicle won't fit....... ;D

You could also tow a pop-up behind the motorhome. Two queen beds in a small lightweight package

:heart: :heart: :dance: :dance: :)

Wow!! There would certainly be plenty of room in that! I would love a motor home, but I don't think my family could stand riding with me while I drove that! :banana:

I'm the one with the Class B CDL!  :banana:  What I want to see, is the spot to park it in ... and someone besides me trying to get it in the hole eyes-poppin.gif

We have a MH and in the summer, pull a popup as well.  The son is getting older and our MH was built for a retired couple.  Now, for a family of three, this MH set up is ideal because the youngin' can sleep on the pullout couch, however, only children like to bring friends along to play.  So, last year, I hunted Craigslist until I found a fool selling his popup for 250 bucks.  Yes, it needed some work, but for less than 800 total, I now have a working popup, with a basically brand new lift system (that was what was wrong with it) and I don't hook up the water or propane because the boys are in it.  The air even works.  Now, the boy doesn't know this, but I am installing a camera to watch the shenanigans in case they want to sneak out. :rofl2:

39597_1718477120411_1192749535_31924648_3274676_n.jpg

That is a great idea and you sure got a good deal on it! You must be one of those "mean" parents that actually care about what your child does to put a camera in! :rofl2:

I am told how mean I am every single day of his life.  :rofl2:

brother (Runner) my 25 

:rofl2:  Another brother/sister team!!!  YAY!!  My brother is NTSammy5.

Oh - and to what type of RV.... the only thing we have not had is a 5th wheel.  We are Class A MH people, but there are only 2 of us & 2 cats, and of course....my brother when he needs a Fort-Fix.  :rofl2:

brother (Runner) my 25 

:rofl2:  Another brother/sister team!!!  YAY!!  My brother is NTSammy5.

Oh - and to what type of RV.... the only thing we have not had is a 5th wheel.  We are Class A MH people, but there are only 2 of us & 2 cats, and of course....my brother when he needs a Fort-Fix.  :rofl2:

We have traveled together most of our lives when we have been able to! Is there a reason you prefer the class a over the class c?

My DH was in the RV biz (LongView RV near LazyDays).  RV dealers love to sell Class C's, but they do NOT like to take them in on trade.  The bunk area over the cab tends to eventually crack due to lack of support and will leak. Even the ones that use the cab-over for storage & entertainment centers.  Also, the "head room" in the overhead bunk is too limited for adults.  You cannot sit upright, and if you wake up suddenly & sit up, you WILL crack your head on the roof.  OUCH!!

We have had 2 class A gassers & 3 diesels.  I prefer the layouts of the gasser's, my DH prefers the power of the diesels.  Since he does most of the driving, we have a diesel.  I wish there were more choices in mid-entry door diesels for class A's.

Since we mostly camp at the Fort, and some loops leave little wiggle room for backing into a site - we will never have a 5th wheel.  Even when we had a 45' MH, and before FtW was "refurbished", there wasn't a site we couldn't back a MH into.  We have seen many, many 5th wheels that could not back into certain sites - even when the drivers were very good and/or experienced drivers.

My DH was in the RV biz (LongView RV near LazyDays).  RV dealers love to sell Class C's, but they do NOT like to take them in on trade.  The bunk area over the cab tends to eventually crack due to lack of support and will leak. Even the ones that use the cab-over for storage & entertainment centers.  Also, the "head room" in the overhead bunk is too limited for adults.  You cannot sit upright, and if you wake up suddenly & sit up, you WILL crack your head on the roof.  OUCH!!

We have had 2 class A gassers & 3 diesels.  I prefer the layouts of the gasser's, my DH prefers the power of the diesels.  Since he does most of the driving, we have a diesel.  I wish there were more choices in mid-entry door diesels for class A's.

Since we mostly camp at the Fort, and some loops leave little wiggle room for backing into a site - we will never have a 5th wheel.  Even when we had a 45' MH, and before FtW was "refurbished", there wasn't a site we couldn't back a MH into.  We have seen many, many 5th wheels that could not back into certain sites - even when the drivers were very good and/or experienced drivers.

Thanks! Great info!

Since he does most of the driving, we have a diesel.  I wish there were more choices in mid-entry door diesels for class A's.

Your comments are the very reasons we went with a gas motorhome. I like the diesels, but hate that the greatest majority put the entry door at the front.  Very inconvenient to me. Also, no more than we get to camp right now I couldn't justify the cost. And for the fifth wheels, that is what we just got out of. We really loved it, but it got to be more work than I was willing to deal with. Also, the last time at the fort, I had a real devil of a time trying to get into my site. Don't remember the number, but it is the one in the 700 block right at the intersection with the main road; think it was like 748 or something like that. I had to take that one because I couldn't get into any of the sites in the 100 loop. Finally got it in with no damage though. Should be a lot easier with the motorcoach.

As for class C's, I've just never found one that I really liked. Plus, I'm fairly tall and getting into the driver's seat without exiting the coach and re-entering through the driver's door would be a big pain especially in inclement weather.

I love our gas class A. I have more inside storage than I know what to do with.  I also love the floor plan.  Mike wants a diesel and keeps dragging out to look at them, but we haven't found one that we would be willing to give our Windsport up for. :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like we are finally narrowing down our wants.  :rofl2: The best fit - so far - seems to be a hybrid in the 19' range, with a slide.  :rofl2: If you have any experience (or seen one that really yanked your chain) with a hybrid like this, please post pictures/floor plans if available.

It looks like we are finally narrowing down our wants.  :D The best fit - so far - seems to be a hybrid in the 19' range, with a slide.  :banana: If you have any experience (or seen one that really yanked your chain) with a hybrid like this, please post pictures/floor plans if available.

When we were thinking about staying with a hybrid, we were considering the Jayco Jay Feather Sport X23F

model_floorplans_pic_1400.jpg