Talk to me about late January crowds...

We're finally visiting Disney when it's not holiday or peak season. Our first park day, we'll be in Epcot that has a predicted crowd level of 1. 1! I can't believe it. Our next day we'll be at the MK with a predicted crowd level of 3. 

What should we expect?

I'm guessing FP (or FP+ if they extend it to my dates) will still be really important at Epcot where there aren't as many attractions. 

The very best trip we ever had was in January! That year our school system gave us the two weeks after Christmas for the break. We got there on Dec 30 and stayed for a week. New Year's Eve was crazy, of course. But every day after that the crowds were lighter. By the end of the week all the rides were walk on and the weather was perfect! Loved it!

January (after MLK weekend) until Presidents Weekend in February is our favorite window to stay.

We usually have between walk-on and 15 minutes for most rides except things like TSM, Soarin, Test Track, EE, RNRC, and TOT.

Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain usually have longer waits listed but they are typically not more than 15-20 minutes either.

Splash Mountain has been closed the last few times we have gone but I remember that being similar.

FP or FP+ for those rides and you should be all set.

Also FP for the princess meets if Z wants to see his girlfriends without standing in long lines.

Just my .02.

I am no expert by any means.

Sorry- I meant to respond to this yesterday.  January is one of my favorite times to visit.

There's a TCD TR from a trip we too the last week of January in 2012.  Here's a link:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/5194-tcds-college-road-trip-via-the-fort/

So what's it like?

It's great- not as dead as maybe some weeks in September, but still nowhere near as crowded as what you're used to.

I would still plan on rope drops and would use FP+ if you can. 

One thing to keep in mind is that the shorten the hours when it's not as busy, so there won't be as many late night opportunities.  Also, the transportation will be slower- they cut back on bus and boat routes when it's slow.

And be prepared for anything weather wise.  It could be hot.  It could be freezing.  It could rain.  Or you might not get a drop.

TCD

Thanks for the link TCD. We're only doing Epcot (it's usual 9-9) and the MK which will be 9-10. That's actually perfect for us as Z can do much past then anyway.

We've always needed breaks with Z, but he might be able to do 9-9 without one. If not, I might hang while the boys break.

I agree. I love the Jan - early Feb trips. The crowds are usually lighter and let you do more. The only problem I've ever had is the weather. I remember one early February weekend at the Fort I nearly froze to death.

For park touring, though, it should be awesome. Have fun!

We invariably go in January or Febuary.  Now keep in mind we are from Minnesota, so we think anything over 32 is warm.  But we've enjoyed it very much.  The crowds aren't bad, and if you did FP, there was virtually no waiting.  Don't know how the new system is working, but we really enjoy going during these times.

It just so happens the New Fiend Order is sponsoring the first annual NFO International Food, Beer and Dessert Festival that week!  

Here's how it works.  

You go to Disney during the designated days, and you select food options that you want to try.  

You order them, and you pay for them.  

Now here's the important part.....before you take a bite, you take a picture of your food to share with your poor NFO DL back home.  

Then, you can eat the food.  

I hope you enjoy the festival!

It just so happens the New Fiend Order is sponsoring the first annual NFO International Food, Beer and Dessert Festival that week!  

Here's how it works.  

You go to Disney during the designated days, and you select food options that you want to try.  

You order them, and you pay for them.  

Now here's the important part.....before you take a bite, you take a picture of your food to share with your poor NFO DL back home.  

Then, you can eat the food.  

I hope you enjoy the festival!

Sounds perfect! I can't wait! So far on the festival agenda is: Biergarten, Via Napoli, the MK dessert party, and the Hoop Dee Doo Review. There will be lots of pictures!