• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to St Augustine over Thanksgiving then plan on the annual New Years trip to Gatlinburg for the street party

We bought our new TT 14 months ago and have spent about a total of 12 nights in it. With me loosing my job for a few months and us trying to adopt a child we haven't had a lot of time or money for camping.Spent a week at the fort in june and will be there again this weekend. I am planning on using it more this year coming up...even if it will only be for weekends since I only have 1 week vacation with my new job.

I just wanted to say God Bless you in your adoption journey.  Our adoption nearly 3 years ago completely changed our camping plans, both during the process like you have experienced and after we brought her home.  But it's all good!  

Dave,

This topic hit me squarely between the eyes.  I haven't been posting much lately as two of my favorite things have been absent from my life for over a year or longer now.  Fort Wilderness and Camping!  Sadly, I think it is over but I didn't even realize it until after it had already happened.  There are a number of definitive reasons and some that are harder to define.

#1 - My kids outgrew it.  Oh, they still love camping but with one about to graduate from college, another graduating from high school and my baby now a sophomore in high school they are just focused on all the activities and events that take away from camping weekends.  Obviously, the wife and I are still as deeply involved in their events as well so we just have a different focus in our lives right now.  I don't see this changing until at least my baby graduates from college in 6 yrs.  The wife and I are pretty sure we will start camping again once we are empty nesters.  Maybe even get a class B for travel to eventual grandkid visits. :clint:

#2 - Finding time to drive down and stay at Fort Wilderness that can fit into 5 family member's individual schedules.  This also isn't going to get any better soon.  It was real easy before high school and college started because everyone's schedule was similar.  Marching band was even more of a problem than Scouts believe it or not.

#3 - Frankly, we have been priced out of Fort Wilderness.  Between gas costs and the ridiculous increases in site costs, it is easier and cheaper to stay on site in a hotel.  Even with food costs, we are still coming out ahead.  Not to mention how difficult it has become getting a reservation!  We used to stay weeks in the summer for 50-60 dollars a night.  The multiple season pricing and the way they changed their rate rules (used to be you got the rate you checked in on throughout your stay).

#4 - Local camping has even become much pricier.  Our state parks and Corps of Engineer parks have significantly raised their rates (double or triple the inflation rates) over what we paying just 6 yrs ago.  The recession has caused a serious shift in cost for government run parks.  Unfortunately, our income has hardly changed during this time.

#5 - Fuel!  When we started back in 2004-5, our fuel costs were 1/3rd what it is now.  We made a lot of 1-2 hour trips on the weekend without even thinking about it from a cost standpoint.  Now, even driving 30-40 miles away means a significant gas bill.  We have been to our locals so much we don't have a whole lot of interest in going to them as much anymore.  See point above about income!

#6 - Tow Vehicle  I gave my truck to my oldest when his car died.  So I don't even have a way to tow the trailer when he is away at college.  He hasn't been home since Sept as it is now.  I now have his car after I got it fixed.  I think I lost out on that deal? :banghead:

#7 - We have found that a Disney World trip is no longer a reasonable value.  We have actually been on a 3 night DCL cruise for about the same or even LESS than staying in a value, with food and tickets to the parks.  That is crazy........   We are even going on a 7 night DCL cruise next fall because of an unexpected school vacation which allowed us to cruise off-season.  Of course, this won't last because of the DCL increases also.  Average 20% increase 2015 vs 2014 rates with some sailings 36% higher than same cruise a previous year.  This may be my last Disney vacation for a long time to come.  Remember point above about income....

#8 - This is one of those that wasn't so easy to define but one that was really personal to me.  Kadi our basset hound (pic in my avatar when she was a pup), died last November.  She was my camping companion.  Every night we would be the last out as I took her for evening walk.  We would also be the first up.  I would get up, take her for a walk, and then she and I would sit under the awning for hours while everyone else slept in.  I really miss her and just feel camping will never be the same without her.  She was one of the reasons we chose RV camping in the first place.  Makes it even less of a reason now!

Whew, that was a long list.  I had been thinking about posting some of this for a while now.  Sorry, Dave for making a mess of your thread but it just brought it all out when I read the title.  Yes, I am unfulfilled, I am sad, and I long for the smell of a campfire, the cup of coffee with my pup by my feet and the laughter filled memories we make as a family together.  However, I thought if I shared some of this, other folks may benefit from some of our experiences.  I would have probably changed our planning sooner, had I realized the life changes that would make regular camping no longer a part of our lives.  When you look at the monthly payment, storage costs, maintenance costs, and deterioration, it is very painful paying for an asset that just sits there and depreciates without getting used....all the while reminding you of missed chances to make more memories.  We have decided to sell our trailer over the next few months and that will be all she wrote. 

However, the best part of all of this is we have incredible family memories spending time together that was made possible by that 30' box on wheels.  We have explored some great places, stayed (practically lived at times) at the happiest place on earth, and did it all as a family (even our dog)!  What is really great is that it brought us to this group where we met so many invisible internet people that we now call our friends.  Some of them are even real people because we have camped with them.........believe it or not.

HAVE A WONDERFUL SUNDAY :wave1:

Hey Scot....thank you for sharing your thoughts!  Much of what you wrote hits very close to home for us too.  As you know, we are a few years behind you in kids ages....our oldest being a Senior in HS now.  But their schedules have certainly impacted our ability to camp this year regardless of my shoulder problems.  The 2 oldest kids both work, plus being in HS means activities as you know.  That won't change from here on out.  I actually have LONG term plans for when it's just INC, Anna and me.  But that is a long way off.  After our two oldest graduate, our middle girl Isabel will be in High School.  When she graduates, Stella will be in middle school approaching high school.  By the time Anna graduates HS, assuming she doesn't repeat any grades, I will be approaching 60.  But then we can hit the road!  LOL.  

I also get the struggle of having an asset that sits with little or no use.  We have seriously considered selling our trailer, but the plan at this point is to keep trying to use it.  All the girls say they want to continue, regardless of the reality of their schedules.  Emma will still be at home next year when she starts college, so maybe we'll be able to get in a couple of weekends.  As long as we can financially swing keeping it we will.  The van and trailer combo will serve our needs hopefully until we no longer have as many kids home.  I'll take one season at a time from here on out though.  

I guess we can't be sad....like you said, we have great memories.  I'm sure we will never regret these times.  And the Lord always has another chapter of our lives planned for us.  We just need to accept it and embrace the future I guess.  

Finally....7 night cruise!  Great for you guys!!   :jumpforjoy

We got in about 25 - 30 nights this season, and that is about average for us. We just got in late yesterday afternoon from what is likely our last trip of the year. I don't winterize with the pink stuff so if a random trip pops up it's no big deal to go back out again. 

Next year will be a change for us as we have a week at Fort Wilderness booked in May, and a beach trip in September. That will eat up most of my vacation time and will drastically limit our long weekend trips that we take about once a month now.

Since buying my trailer in May we have been about 6 small weekend trips.. but I'm still very much unfullfilled and the thought of winterizing and putting her away brings tears to my eyes..

yes I'm a emotional mess.. it's part of my charm really :)

I'm wondering how the kids will fair in cold weather camping.. usually my beverages keep me warm :rofl2:

You know, what Scot (Live4FW) said really hit home for me, my kids are 6 and 2 and we go camping as much as we can even with the cost, because we know the inevitable is coming and the kids will no longer be as excited or even able to go camping with us, I figure we have a good 8-9 years before it happens, but, we saw it with our cousins and nephews who no longer come down with their folks to visit Florida. I wanted to print out what Scot said and show it to some of our family that do not understand why we go camping as much as we do, especially so close to home instead of saving up for a BIG trip to the Grand Canyon or something, though I would love to visit the Grand Canyon in our camper, the time we waste saving for that trip could be spent in our camper spending time with each other and making those memories, when we are at the campground we don't feel like we are close to home, it feels like you are days away! At least that's my take on it anyway... Brian

You know, what Scot (Live4FW) said really hit home for me, my kids are 6 and 2 and we go camping as much as we can even with the cost, because we know the inevitable is coming and the kids will no longer be as excited or even able to go camping with us, I figure we have a good 8-9 years before it happens, but, we saw it with our cousins and nephews who no longer come down with their folks to visit Florida. I wanted to print out what Scot said and show it to some of our family that do not understand why we go camping as much as we do, especially so close to home instead of saving up for a BIG trip to the Grand Canyon or something, though I would love to visit the Grand Canyon in our camper, the time we waste saving for that trip could be spent in our camper spending time with each other and making those memories, when we are at the campground we don't feel like we are close to home, it feels like you are days away! At least that's my take on it anyway... Brian

AMEN!  I don't get to go very far very often but when we are camping, we are "away" and sometimes that is all you need.. my older ones are 15, 13, 12.. border line.. my little ones however (5,3) still LOVE it and ask to go every day which makes my heart warm :heart:  I wish I had done this with my older ones ALOT sooner..

I think we are doing alright in the camping department for this year with all things considered.  I've got our 2 week trip to the Fort coming up next month and will be "resting" until March.  I think the more you go the more you want to keep going.   Its like any other addiction, just can't get enough.  So I guess we should start a Campers Anonymous.......Hi, I'm McMonsters and I'm addicted to Fort Fiends and Camping........I'll never be sober but I appreciate the support

Going to St Augustine over Thanksgiving then plan on the annual New Years trip to Gatlinburg for the street party

What is this street party you speak of? I was just looking at that area.. doesnt it get crazy cold?  Dollywood appears to have some pretty spectacular events during that time as well...

I am glad to see that Scot's words struck a chord with you, and I hope that they do with others as well.

I fully understand what Scot is saying.

I purchased our pop-up camper in early November 1999.  At the time, my oldest daughter was 8, and my twins were just 4.  Our first camping trip was to Fort Wilderness over Thanksgiving break.  In the years that have followed, almost every one of our camping trips was at the Fort.  And we went as much as we could.  We could have gone less and spent those dollars on other trips, but we chose the Fort.  I don't regret it.  In all that time, there were only two years that we didn't camp at the Fort for part of Thanksgiving week, and that was because we went on Disney cruises.

Fast forward to 2013, and despite all the schedule manipulating I could conjure, the TCD gang will not be visiting the Fort at all over Thanksgiving week. With my three daughters away at three different Universities, the schedules just would not allow even a couple of nights at the Fort.

I'm glad that we got to go as much as we did, and I encourage you to go as often as you can.  No matter how much you hope it won't, the day will come for your family, like it did for Scot's and mine.

TCD

I can relate to that! I hope for New Years getting my husband and son on a camping trip to the Fort. It's been a long time since they've been. This is kind of the other side of the coin so to say. My son is 26 and well David is my age and have gone through the school and well life just gets in the way. I can relate to Andrew and Scot on that.

In as much as I'm preparing for 7 nights on the Suwanee River in two different parks over Thanksgiving week next week, I would have liked to have logged more nights this year. We had maybe 7 nights in the PUP from NYE to June when we bought the TT. We have about 10 nights at the local KOA for shakedown when we picked it up, and 7 or so in local CG/State Parks.

We haven't been back to the Fort since last NYE. It's getting more and more difficult to book, they obviously don't want locals that book Thur-Sun, and frankly, they've priced themselves out of my means. I can't justify (or afford) the absurd site fees. They keep taking stuff away, and raising the rates.

We have continued down our list of Florida State Parks, and at an average of $22 per night, I'm thrilled to get the kids out in the wilderness for hikes, fishing, and relaxing without "campers remorse". We're gonna try geo-caching this time. Both CGs on this trip have pioneer villages and museums, even some live music!

It's apparent the Fort no longer wants the families in my tax bracket...message received.

OK, that makes me sad. I don't want to think about it!

I know Kelly, I gave my two a big hug yesterday :bighug: , it was like trying to hold on to a puppy, they wanted out! Maybe I'll get a big hug when we get to FW!

In as much as I'm preparing for 7 nights on the Suwanee River in two different parks over Thanksgiving week next week, I would have liked to have logged more nights this year. We had maybe 7 nights in the PUP from NYE to June when we bought the TT. We have about 10 nights at the local KOA for shakedown when we picked it up, and 7 or so in local CG/State Parks.

We haven't been back to the Fort since last NYE. It's getting more and more difficult to book, they obviously don't want locals that book Thur-Sun, and frankly, they've priced themselves out of my means. I can't justify (or afford) the absurd site fees. They keep taking stuff away, and raising the rates.

We have continued down our list of Florida State Parks, and at an average of $22 per night, I'm thrilled to get the kids out in the wilderness for hikes, fishing, and relaxing without "campers remorse". We're gonna try geo-caching this time. Both CGs on this trip have pioneer villages and museums, even some live music!

It's apparent the Fort no longer wants the families in my tax bracket...message received.

You are so right, because we really wanted to stay at FW, this trip is costing us a lot more, and we are only going to MVMCP, we usually camp at Tropical Palms behind Old Town and come over to Disney for fun, but this year the fun WILL be the campground!  Brian

Now that is just sad.

The last time I was at the Fort, I had a conversation with someone in the know who told me that for the last fiscal year, the Fort's occupancy was the lowest it has been in a long time, but it made the greatest profit that it ever has.

Those in charge have discovered that by raising the rates to astronomical levels, they can still make a big profit even if occupancy rates are down.

Capitalism at its finest.

TCD

Mathmatically, if you have fewer sites active at higher rates, they should turn a bigger profit. Money stays the same, but the water and power bill are lower with fewer campers bathing, decorating, and air conditioning themselves and their campers.

If you hand out sites only to long term stays at premium prices you will get only the high dollar units/campers in there and families that save specifically for years to go on a single trip. While that's fine, the Fort and its past was built on repeated family visits. A couple of years ago I had 6 Fort Trips in one calendar year. Sadly, those days are also in the past.

I'm sure the Fort is the proverbial red-headed stepchild of all their resorts,  prime real estate with low growth potential, (unless you can build a multi-story campground!), and the only resort where most guests bring and prepare their own food.

I agree with CM, we spent July 4th at Tropical Palms, loved it, spent Labor Day at Sun'n'Fun (same owners) was awesome. All at a fraction of the cost.

And the shame of it is, camping is on an upsurge all over the country because people see it as exactly this... a lower cost alternative to expensive vacation resorts.

I agree with CM, we spent July 4th at Tropical Palms, loved it, spent Labor Day at Sun'n'Fun (same owners) was awesome. All at a fraction of the cost.

And the shame of it is, camping is on an upsurge all over the country because people see it as exactly this... a lower cost alternative to expensive vacation resorts.

You are so right, the owners of Sun-N-Fun and Tropical Palms know that and are jumping on it, we stay at both many times through out the year and they send us coupons all the time for a free nights stay with the purchase of 2 more, I just got emailed a coupon for the Christmas season that any time Dec1st - Dec 20th book 3 nights get a free night and free GC for the stay! I think we are going to Sun-N-Fun the week after Disney, can't beat that deal!