Going to the fort in 5 days, but I need an extra day!

Hey guys... my wife and I are going to the Fort this Saturday on a <30 day scheduled trip (EDIT: we booked less than 30 days out, our dates are the 23-27th currently). We were able to book up all the days that we wanted fairly early on, and now plans have changed that allow us to stay an additional day if we can swing it.

I have been checking back on a nearly daily basis for the additional night stay (27-28th) and so far nothing available in a partial hookup site. However, if you look for reservations from the 20-28, a tent site is available. What gives??!?

Anyway, if we show up as planned do you think there's a good chance we can tack on the additional day at the end of our stay after we check in?

Hey guys... my wife and I are going to the Fort this Saturday on a <30 day scheduled trip (EDIT: we booked less than 30 days out, our dates are the 23-27th currently). We were able to book up all the days that we wanted fairly early on, and now plans have changed that allow us to stay an additional day if we can swing it.

I have been checking back on a nearly daily basis for the additional night stay (27-28th) and so far nothing available in a partial hookup site. However, if you look for reservations from the 20-28, a tent site is available. What gives??!?

Anyway, if we show up as planned do you think there's a good chance we can tack on the additional day at the end of our stay after we check in?

Are your current reservations for a tent site?

Then book the 20th-28th.  After you get it, call back and drop all the days except for the one you need.

When you get there, you should be fine.

You are looking at adding a night Thanksgiving week.  That's a week where they will be 100% full.  Not an empty site in the place.  I wouldn't count on being able to add a night when you get there.

TCD

Are your current reservations for a tent site?

Then book the 20th-28th.  After you get it, call back and drop all the days except for the one you need.

When you get there, you should be fine.

You are looking at adding a night Thanksgiving week.  That's a week where they will be 100% full.  Not an empty site in the place.  I wouldn't count on being able to add a night when you get there.

TCD

I would do exactly as TCD says and when you drop the extra days have the reservations linked. You will have to check out and back in but there is a good chance you would not have to switch sites. Not guaranteed but a fairly good chance of not moving. That is how I piece together reservations for clients sometimes. 

What you can do is "move" the unneeded reservation to any date in the future. No cancellation fee there.  Then in a week or so, cancel that reservation and since it will be more than 5 days out, you will get your deposit back.

I am not sure moving the reservation would work, as the original poster needs one date at the end of that reservation.

I have called the day before I was supposed to arrive to drop the first day of a reservation before.  They don't count that as cancelling- you're just modifying your arrival date.  No penalty.

That is how the technique Carol mentioned works- you can call within the 5 days and move the entire reservation off to a future date.  Again, you're not cancelling-just modifying.  No penalty.  I've done this plenty of times.  I always end up using the reservation, but if I wanted my deposit refunded, I could do that by cancelling the future reservation at least 5 days before the new arrival date.

TCD

But, I thought I read that he can get a single reservation with all the nights he needs? Was I mistaken?

I'm not sure.

I thought the OP said he had a reservation for the nights of the 23-26th, and wanted to stay on the 27th, but could not get a reservation for that night.  But, the 20th-28th came up.  He doesn't need the 20th-26th and was concerned about cancelling those extra nights within 5 days of arrival.

Maybe I misunderstood.  I guess he could have moved the reservation for the 23rd, and kept the one for the 20-28th, and cancelled the nights he didn't need?  I guess that would work too.

TCD

Well, I got scared and just booked the additional night by itself into a full hook up site. More expensive by $16 but thought it might be the safer option given the last minute time window. If I were to book the 20-28 that is only a day from the scheduled arrival date. If it were more than a couple days out I probably would have taken the advice but was a little nervous about cancelling/changing a reservation at the last minute. We'll have to move sites sure, but we're just moving a tent so we figured that wouldn't be that big a deal.

To rehash, original reservation was for the 23rd-27th... needed an extra day at the end leaving Thanksgiving day (28th).