Trying to plan a special trip; looking for tips and suggestions

So, time has been flying by like lightning around here and I woke up last summer to realize that my 25th wedding anniversary is coming up in June 2014.  Anyone married this long knows that keeping secrets from each other is not an easy (and usally not healthy) thing to do.

But my DW Nancy has never really been surprised by me.  Not in a good way anyways, there was that time that I surprised her by not doing anything special for her 40th birthday.  So, now that everyone knows I'm not the brigthest bulb on the Christmas Tree, I am seeking out some help from fellow fiends on planning a special trip for this June.

As I said earlier, I have been coming up with ideas, doing some research when I can, and have even enlisted the help of the three kids, Justin age 21, Rachel age 15, and Matt age 13.  And another family who has gone to WDW with us in the past and the wife was in our wedding party.

So, as I schemed, saved, researched, I came across a post from Ami (PolyPixie on these boards) on FB saying she had just become an official Disney Travel agent.  I understand that others on this board are also TA's, but I first "met" Ami on those "other" boards nearly 6 years ago and I thought it was Kharma.  I pulled the plug and immediately contacted Ami, becoming her first official customer.  Unfortunately for her, with it being a surprise, she wasn't able to post much about it.

I had been trying to find a way to make the Fort affordable, but with the family and extended family that I would like to have present, it wouldn't work for us.  We decided on two rooms (for now, possibly adding a third) at Pop Century.  While we love the Fort, Pop Century has a history with Nancy and I where that is where we "escaped" for a long weekend many years ago after going through the process of building our house.  The stress of building our house and living with her parents had built up quite a bit and a long weekend back for an affordable weekend helped restore some magic.  Less than one year later we planned a Grand Gathering with around 15 family members and reserved it at Pop during free dining.  Because of an "unheard of" managers special discount, our entire group got a 30% room discount AND free dining.  It really made an impression on all of us and it was a "most excellent" vacation.  Followed up years later with a return trip when our oldest was recovering from multiple cancer treatments and a recent diagnosis with Celiac disease, we were again treated very well by the folks at Pop Century including custom made meals for our gluten free son who appreciated the efforts.  So, Pop Century has also earned a special place in our family history for many great memories.

Ami scored us some great dining reservations, including Chef's Table at Victoria and Alberts with another couple.  Without ratcheting up the cost of this trip too much (I do have kids that would like to go to college someday), I have been trying to come up with a way to renew our vows that is interesting, not overly complicated, but memorable.

My first thought is to see if we could have our vows renewed by a "Captain".  Nancy is a huge Johnny Depp fan, and loves the Captain Jack character.  Does anyone think it would be possible to plan a surprise encounter with Captain Jack and have him officiate the renewal of our vows?  Savvy Mate?  Ami has been doing some research along these lines, but I thought I would throw it out to fellow Fiends on whether anyone has arranged something special like this through Disney?  Any CM's with inside information on the process?

My first thought is to see if we could have our vows renewed by a "Captain".  Nancy is a huge Johnny Depp fan, and loves the Captain Jack character.  Does anyone think it would be possible to plan a surprise encounter with Captain Jack and have him officiate the renewal of our vows?  Savvy Mate?  Ami has been doing some research along these lines, but I thought I would throw it out to fellow Fiends on whether anyone has arranged something special like this through Disney?  Any CM's with inside information on the process?

Anything your little heart desires is possible.

If you have the money, sounds like they'll make it happen.

"Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings - 

Nobody knows more about creating your perfect dream wedding; at Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings & Honeymoons its part of everything we do. Whether you envision a grand affair, or an intimate gathering, your wedding, vow renewal or commitment ceremony can be anything your heart desires. Anything you can imagine we can bring to life…just the right touch, just as you dreamed, in ways you can’t even imagine."

http://www.disneyweddings.com

Phone 321-939-4610

I will add that to officially have this done, you have to go through Disney Weddings. There is no way to set this up either officially or unofficially any other way. Same with proposals. So, if ya got the money, you can do it.

If youre looking for cheap, find a friend and dress him up like the good Capt. Just don't do it on Disney property.

If youre looking for just a quick vow renewal, that is a little easier to set up. No characters, not in a park can be done by collaborating with a few CMs. In a park is bit trickier, but with some advanced foot work, it can be done. Add a character, and there is no way to do it without paying the bucks.

Another option, it will still cost you, but a lot less.

When I was a Concierge at the Grand Floridian, at that time, we tried to honor all guest requests.

One request I had was, would I set up, and perform a vow renewal ceremony on the beach at sunset? Of course I said yes, and I did.

So there I am, in a 3 piece suit with flowers, a bottle of champagne, and a camera.

I have to admit, it went very well. The guests were very, very happy. It's a great memory for me too.

So for the cost of a one night stay at the Grand, you get a memorable vow renewal ceremony, but it certainly won't compare with Captain Jack Sparrow.

Awesome thought! Maybe the night we dine at V&A; hmmmm

And that photo would be awesome.

If I really save my pennies, hold off on as many extras as I can, a night at the GF could be possible.

Probably not going to get the concierge at Pop Century to do this.

I am calling that number tomorrow to start pricing this and to see if I can get the delivery address changed to my work address while Im at it. Caught the mailing for magic bands and making reservations the other day in the house mail. Need to get that stopped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need that picture!

Hate to disappoint, but I used the camera to take pictures of the couple.

A night at the GF and V&A, that might make a statement.

Just remember that Concierges are all different. You may, or may not, find one that can, or is in the position of being able to do it.

And that photo would be awesome.

If I really save my pennies, hold off on as many extras as I can, a night at the GF could be possible.

Probably not going to get the concierge at Pop Century to do this.

I am calling that number tomorrow to start pricing this and to see if I can get the delivery address changed to my work address while Im at it. Caught the mailing for magic bands and making reservations the other day in the house mail. Need to get that stopped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought.

What if you to go for a walk after dinner on the beach at the GF and a man in a suite was standing there and as you approached him you drop to one knee and ask your bride to marry you again. Hopefully she says yes and the the guy in the suit performs the ceremony right there and then. Your friends can be the with the camera. No need to get any CM involved. Just a simple little ceremony.

Or as my DW always tells me... K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) I to am not the brightest bulb. Lol

Well, I called the wedding planners and the options start at around $5,000 and go up from there.  I am sure it would certainly be magical, it is getting beyond our price range and into the realm of being irresponsible (total vacation price with accommodations would be over $10,000).

Really liking the idea of just going for a walk on the beach with the other couple after our Chef's Table dinner and meeting our family there - maybe getting photos with the fireworks in the background.  Don't get me wrong, if I could afford it, I would probably spring for it, but at this point in our life if I dropped that many "Benjamins" on one day I might need to consult with a divorce attorney!

Yessir, that K.I.S.S. principal seems pretty sound right about now.  Being back in WDW will be magical enough.

I don't have anything useful to add, but I did want to say that as the wife of a thoroughly unromantic (but no less amazing) man, the fact that you are surprising her with something, and that surprise is a vacation at a special place for your guys will make a huge impact. Anything else would really be icing on the cake.

The idea to renew your vows is amazing, but it sounds like this is going to be a family trip. Given that, I'm thinking that one night at the GF, just you and her, after a special romantic dinner and maybe a walk along the lake would be even more perfect. Almost like you've planned a special mini-honeymoon for you the two of you in the midst of an awesome family trip.

Kudos to you, and can you have a chat with my husband?  :rofl3:

I don't have anything useful to add, but I did want to say that as the wife of a thoroughly unromantic (but no less amazing) man, the fact that you are surprising her with something, and that surprise is a vacation at a special place for your guys will make a huge impact. Anything else would really be icing on the cake.

I really agree with this! I think it's awesome that you are planning something special for her.

We celebrated our 10th anniversary at Disney. We really enjoyed our carriage ride at the Fort. We brought a bottle of wine with us. It was nice and romantic. After that and before dinner, we went down on the beach and had a random stranger take some pictures for us.  

Also, a lot of the resort restaurants will let you order a mini cake in advance. I surprised Jason with having our wedding cake created in a mini version and delivered as our dessert at Narcoossee's. I think it was $35 and was a perfect size for 2. There are pictures of all that in my April trip report.

• 6 months later...

I can't find a dining on/off property thread (but that could be because I'm using my iPad). DH and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary while at the Fort. Thinking of a nice dinner- just the two of us. DH is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and I prefer a surf and turf option. We both love decadent desserts too. Any dining suggestions either on or off (close by) the property?

On property...

Flying Fish Cafe @ Boardwalk - great seafood overall, but there's also a good strip steak (and potatoes) dish on the menu

menu

Yachtsman Steakhouse @ Yacht Club - meat, meat, meat!  But there is also usually at least one nice fish dish on the menu and the food overall is very good.

menu

Narcoosees @ Grand Floridian - great seafood, terrific atmosphere (plan to watch Wishes from the deck) and also usually at least one good beef dish on the menu

menu

California Grill @ Contemporary - a little bit of everything, nice atmosphere and a great view of Wishes

menu

Jiko @ Animal Kingdom Lodge - both seafood and meat on the menu (changes seasonally), great food, nice atmosphere, get there a little early and have a cocktail up at Victoria Falls lounge

menu