For those mom's out there...

My son is 3 1/2 and his current stroller is getting a little small so I'm looking for a different one for when we go to Disney and FW. He mostly walks when out and about but I know he can't handle every day, all day for 7 days walking thru the parks and The Fort.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good stroller for a 3 year old? I'm looking at jogging strollers but not sure about those...I want one smaller, not expensive, and that is easy to use and fold. I thought about renting but it would probably cost the same as just buying one!

Spring Consignment sales are starting now.  They are very popular around here. All of the pre schools have them.  Our Multiples club has our this weekend.  You can always find a good deal at one.  Pick one up there.  We have an old Greco that will still fit my 65 pound son.  He has mild CP and after walking for several hours he tends to seize up in his calf muscels and needs a break.  It folds up pretty easy and light. Make sure it has a bottom basket for your park supplies.

We have this one we really like it. It pushes very easy. And the front wheel can swivel or lock straight. They also sell it with out the carrier.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870672

That's the one I've been looking at. I need to go to BRU and check out a few! We have a Joovy Kooper now but he's getting too tall to fit in it comfortably.

Spring Consignment sales are starting now.  They are very popular around here. All of the pre schools have them.  Our Multiples club has our this weekend.  You can always find a good deal at one.  Pick one up there.  We have an old Greco that will still fit my 65 pound son.  He has mild CP and after walking for several hours he tends to seize up in his calf muscels and needs a break.  It folds up pretty easy and light. Make sure it has a bottom basket for your park supplies.

I'm thinking of waiting til yard sales start around here again (usually April) and I might be able to find something there. Just don't want to spend a fortune when he won't be in one all the time like in previous years at the parks!

I love the maclaren quest. I was a stroller junkie, buying a new stroller every 6-12 months so I've tried quite a few over the years and never actually raved about a stroller until we bought the maclaren. DH thought I was crazy paying that much for a glorified umbrella stroller but quickly became a mac convert too after taking it to wdw that first time.

It's the most versatile stroller I've ever owned and will fit children up to 65 pounds - which for my petite princesses would probably fit into middle school  :banana:

Seriously though, the maclaren folds quickly and really easily despite the fact that the resort bus has already started loading. It's small & light enough to keep in a crowded car trunk or carry on busses without having to sit facing into the aisle holding it. The rain cover comes with it - it's not at all bulky or cumbersome & snaps on in less than 5 seconds. Also, unlike other lightweight strollers we've tried over the years, you really can push & steer it with just one hand even on uneven ground easily - especially important for the diet coke drinkers in the crowd... :heart:

We bought ours new on ebay for around $100 (half of what BRU sold it for) but I've since seen them used on craigslist & at consignment shops around here. They seem to hold their resale value so if you can find one at a good price and keep it nice, you could probably recoup a good portion of your investment later. I sold mine on craigslist last year for $90 and had a ton of emails asking for it.

I am also a stroller junkie.  My dh hates it.

I live my City Mini.  It's light weight and easy to fold and push.  My ds is also 3 1/2 and 35lbs.  I've had a Maclaren as well and that's also a great stroller.

That's on my list too! I like the design of that one!

I really love a bigger stroller that will carry a lot for WDW.  We bring in all our food, plus in November, we start out and end up in sweatshirts that get crammed under the stroller during the day.  I am hoping to put the one we have in storage (mil's basement) until our trip as that is the only time we will be using it.

I am also a stroller junkie.  My dh hates it.

I live my City Mini.  It's light weight and easy to fold and push.  My ds is also 3 1/2 and 35lbs.  I've had a Maclaren as well and that's also a great stroller.

I'm hoping the City mini (double) rocks as much as the reviews say it does, I just ordered that one for my October trip with a 1 and 3 year old.. if it can live through my bunch.. it deserves to be crowned "stroller supreme"!

I was also going to suggest a Maclaren. 

A jogging stroller would work well, too.  I brought a regular umbrella stroller instead of the jogging stroller, though, because I was afraid of dealing with the length of the stroller.  Plus, an umbrella stroller is easier to fold up on a bus...and we all know how much people on buses LOVE strollers.  lol

Plus, an umbrella stroller is easier to fold up on a bus...and we all know how much people on buses LOVE strollers.

I can't say enough about monster strollers.

And if it's one of the jogging stollers that fits 3 kids and dog, then you'll really get the looks.

If the CMs were following the rules at the turnstiles, most of those would be refused entry into the parks as they violate the size restrictions. Yes, there is a size limitation, just like for scooters. Do they enforce it, not usually.

Get one of these. (Shopping Cart) Would be real easy to find when you come out of an attraction. Plus, it'll hold a bunch of kids and their stuff.

Not to mention how easy it is to get on the buses.

I have a Combi Savvy that we took last year with our 2yo - probably 32 ish pounds at the time - yes, she's a big girl!  :siren:

Anyway, we really like how really lightweight and easy to fold it is.  We had absolutely NO problems on trams, busses, or boats.  Plus, the canopy is more than just decoration, it actually helps shade the sun.  The biggest perk that DH liked was that the handle bar was nice and tall and slanted back a bit - no kicking the wheels like in an umbrella stroller!  :)  The basket underneath was adequate for a change of clothes and shoes, ponchos, and an insulated lunchbox with drinks/snacks inside.

I just looked, and Combi now has several versions of their lightweight stroller:  Flare, Savvy, Cosmo, and Strolee.  The prices range from $70 - $140 new.

My two cents...

We have the Expedition jogging stroller linked up above but on our last Disney trip we had better luck in the parks with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Me-Lightweight-Tripod-Stroller/dp/B002CVTLAA

We found this thru someone that linked it on the DISfunctional boards.

The 3 wheels and rounded front made it easier to get thru crowds and while not as light as an umbrella it is a lot lighter than a full size jogger. It is still available for what we paid on sale $79.

:siren: :) :) :) :)

I'm keeping an eye out for a sit and stand stroller on Craigslist for real cheap, or free.With a 3 & 4 year old at the time of the trip, my 4 year old DD will appreciate it and I don't feel like carrying around a double strolller.

Best Regards,

Norm

I thought about a sit and stand too ( I think ive looked St every single option out there!) but I wonder how silly I'll look with one and having only one child!

I'm sort of a bit of a stroller junkie myself ( :wiz: don't tell my DH).  Here's a brief history (perhaps it will help you from making some of my mistakes ;)):

Stroller #1 - Zooper Waltz

Loved this stroller when DS was a baby - no real complaints other than it wasn't very compact and ... not really good for pushing heavier kids.

Stroller #2 - Combi Saavy (I think that's what it was called)

Bought this one because I wanted something smaller than the Waltz for traveling.  It had a carry-strap and I liked that it stood on all it's wheels when folded.  Unfortunately, I hated the push of this stroller.  DS(1yo at the time) was too heavy to push this stroller with one hand.

Stroller #3 - Zooper Twist

Sold the combi and bought the Twist to replace it as our traveling stroller.  Needed a comfortable/compact/umbrella stroller for DS's first trip to WDW ;)  I felt comfortable pushing - although every now and then my feet would kick the wheels ( :rofl2:) 

Stroller #4 - Maclaren Triumph

We took the Twist to WDW and loved it, but .... a friend kept raving about how easy the Macs are to push and well...  I found a Triumph on sale and caved.  I had been content with the Twist .... until I met the Mac.  That stroller really does push beautifully!  A great travel/quick trip stroller.  But ... it's not without its cons.  I hate how tippy it is (I always hang my bag on the back of my strollers) and it's sunshade is pretty useless - and it gets filthy when folded due to the wheels resting on the inside of hood.  Plus, recline?  Not so much on the Triumph.  But ... it does push like a dream - even one-handed!

Stroller #5 - Baby Jogger City Mini Double (BJCMD)

We were blessed with DD when DS was 2yo so I justified spending the $$ on this stroller.  And .... it was worth EVERY penny!!!  I have gotten more mileage out of this stroller than all the others combined!  Pushes like a dream (even with two very different sized kids).  The fold is TDF!  Seriously, no stroller folds easier!  Has a full recline and AWESOME sunshade!  Quite possibly the perfect Disney stroller!!! 

Stroller #6 - Valco Buggster

Ok, so all my previous stroller purchases were for very good, rational reasons.  This one?  Well, all I can say is .... by this point I have become an officiall stroller junkie!  I had heard alot of buzz about how great the buggster was and found one at a great price ... so I had to try it.  It is an awesome stroller - nice, roomy seat. By far the plushest/most comfy for the kids to sit in.  Both of my kids love riding in this stroller!  Pushes just as great as my Mac and BJCMD - but again, not without it's faults ....  the fold is tricky, although it is compact.  And, it doesn't recline all the way.  Not enough for my kids to snooze in anyway (note- my kids have NEVER been good stroller nappers - as a matter of fact the ONLY times my kids have ever slept in a stroller is at WDW).  The Buggster?s sunshade is better than the Macs ? but not as awesome as the BJCM. 

Stroller #7 ? Not here yet!

I really want a Purple BJCMS ? because I wanted the full-recline and easy fold that it offers over the Buggster (although my kids prefer the buggster for comfort reasons ? I guess this makes me a bit selfish, ?eh?).  Anywho ? I literally *just* ordered a new stroller last night and hopefully it?ll be a good alternative to the Buggster ? still supposed to be comfy for big kids, reclines completely, and ?. It?s an umbrella-style so it should be good for getting on/off those Disney buses ;)  We?ll see ?.      In case you?re interested it?s an I?Coo Pluto the 2010 model

So there you have it ? the confessions of a stroller-holic!  Hopefully, it?ll help someone navigate the vast, mystifying world of strollers ?  BTW, I mentioned in the beginning that this was going to be a ?brief? history,  my apologies ? it wasn?t ;)

Oh, and I snapped a couple pics of my kidlets in the Buggster and BJCMD recently ? maybe they?ll help give a good visual of the size/reclines.

Note ? DS is a Sulley-sized 5yo (47?  52lbs)  & DD is a Piglet-sized 2yo (33?  23lbs)

The Buggster

P3128141.jpg

DD pretending to "sleep" with stroller reclined

P3128144.jpg

DS sitting in it - he's says it's comfy - but ...

P3128148.jpg

BJCMD - poor DS will have to walk on our next trip to WDW

P3128150.jpg

reclined

P3128154.jpg

reclined with sunshade fully extended

P3128153.jpg

And just to give you a good reference on thier sizes

P3128149.jpg

HTH someone!!!

Feel free to ask questions ;)

Great first post TJ!

8)

I really liked the City Mini but couldn't justify the 350 (on sale!) price tag. The Dream on Me was only 79 and is similar but lack a couple of features.

Course that left money to get the Graco Alano "Flip It" Travel system.....  :rofl2:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZNKKPU/ref=asc_df_B002ZNKKPU1467415?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B002ZNKKPU

It has a reversable handle so you can have your child face forward or backward as you like.

:) :) :) :) :)

Great first post TJ!

:rofl2:

I really liked the City Mini but couldn't justify the 350 (on sale!) price tag. The Dream on Me was only 79 and is similar but lack a couple of features.

Course that left money to get the Graco Alano "Flip It" Travel system.....  :dance:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZNKKPU/ref=asc_df_B002ZNKKPU1467415?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B002ZNKKPU

It has a reversable handle so you can have your child face forward or backward as you like.

:rofl2: :) :) :) :)

I agree...wonderful review!

That Citi mini really looks like it would work! I'm just so confused! Lol

Look at this Gem I picked up - its from the 1950's.  It seats 2 children - my daughter who was 9 at the time of this picture rode on one side and my 4 year old on the other side.  Sure - it had a few sharp edges and weighed a bit more than the average stroller- but it worked perfect.  They just dont make them like they used to. 

33dxsnq.jpg

Great first post TJ!

:welcome2:

Course that left money to get the Graco Alano "Flip It" Travel system.....  :D

:) :) :) :) :)

Thanks!  :D

And yeah, I hear ya on the $$ of these strollers - it's a tough pill to swallow :o  But, IMO - worth every penny!!!  Plus, I bought my BJCMD for an awesome deal when they first rolled out (I paid about $260 for my brand-spankin' new in '08 - still a hefty price, but significantly less than what they go for these days).  All my strollers were bought at significant discounts - couldn't ever justify paying full retail for one of those babies ;)