I am emotionally drained over trying to find a tow vehicle.  I could give the details of my life... but let's just say, I (like so many) am very, very busy.

So this "journey" has been exhausting and draining.

I've narrowed my preference down to either a Nissan Armada or Infiniti QX56 (really the same vehicle).  Here is my dilemma:

Money is tight, so we are looking at used.  Found a 2006 Inifinit in great shape for $20k, but it has 86k miles.  Vehicle is a 2WD (4WD has been very, very tough to find in our area...Infiniti or the Nissan).  I'm concerned about the miles.  To get less miles, on either truck, will put us closer to a sales price of $25k (found an Armada with 45k miles) to $29k (found a couple with 30k - 35k).  Our absolute cap was $30.

What should I do?  Stay with the used that has 86K miles... or spend more for less?  Also, I'm guessing that the repairs on an Armada, would be less than an Infiniti.

Thoughts fiends??

We do have time... a good 60 days before our next trip and we have to have the truck.  The one we found is an infiniti.... I called a mechanic we've used before and asked which was more to repair (Nissan Armada or Infinity QX56)... he said the infiniti.

The car we found does look to be in really good shape, that's the tough part.  We've seen A LOT of junk... if this one had mileage in the 40's and was $4k more, we'd buy it.  It's the mileage that makes us nervous.... that and the repair costs.

We do have time... a good 60 days before our next trip and we have to have the truck.  The one we found is an infiniti.... I called a mechanic we've used before and asked which was more to repair (Nissan Armada or Infinity QX56)... he said the infiniti.

The car we found does look to be in really good shape, that's the tough part.  We've seen A LOT of junk... if this one had mileage in the 40's and was $4k more, we'd buy it.  It's the mileage that makes us nervous.... that and the repair costs.

Well, advice form the internet is usually worth what you pay for it, especially mine.  I did a little poking around and here is what I see:

Edmunds says the Infiniti with 86K should retail about 14K.  I'm sorry, but I think this is another time they are off the mark.

Carmax has two 2006 listed for sale, both in California.  First that shows there is limited supply, thus driving up the price.

The two they list are

2WD 85K miles for $21,599

4WD 112K miles for $19,998

They will move either of them to GA for about $900.

I would not worry about 86k miles as long as it is in good shape.  That is actually considered low mileage for a vehicle of that vintage. as most people drive 12 - 18,000 miles a year.

I second gettin a mechanic to look at it before you buy.  A CarFax report is probably not a bad idea either. 

Thanks Tim.  I called a local Infiniti dealer and he pulled the maintenance for me (gave him the VIN #).  It appears that this car has been taken care of (battery, breaks, hoses and tires all replaced in the last 18k miles.... plus other general maintenance over the years).  We're going to move forward and purchase the car.  I will pay the Infiniti store to inspect it ($125 charge) either before we buy or I'll have the dealership write in that we have 48 hours to return the car so we have time to have the inspection done.

Our thought is... we could spend more for less miles, but that wouldn't guarantee us that something still wouldn't break and (at least this way) we can pay off another bill with the money we would have used to purchase a car with less miles.

Trusting God that we're making the right choice here!

If it makes you feel better, my husband had the Titan with the same engine, and when we sold it, it had 130K on it, and ran like new. That's what we used to tow our 30 foot travel trailer. The only issue we ever had with it was a recall when it was newer. The only reason we sold it was because we bought our Class C, and we couldn't tow it or my QX56 behind it. One of them had to go.

For those years, the Armada and QX56 are the same vehicle, so maintenance should be the same.

We loved our Nissan Titan. I loved my former Infiniti G35 and still love my QX56. I think they make good products.

I have towed with a Titan, an Armada and a QX56.  All are (or were in the years you are looking at) built on the same platform and are nice tow vehicles when not overloaded payload-wise.  The newer QX56's are, I believe, built on the global Patrol platform and I'm not familiar with it's towing capabilities...but I believe it is still a fine tow vehicle.  In any case, I know the 2004 vehicles had some initial issues with brakes, but those were corrected going forward, so if you are looking at '05 or later you shouldn't have to worry about that.  (Besides, those vehicles were "fixed").  If well maintained, I wouldn't worry about the mileage on the one you are considering.  

I hope it works out for you and you have one less thing to worry about.  Enjoy your new vehicle.  

I have towed with a Titan, an Armada and a QX56. All are (or were in the years you are looking at) built on the same platform and are nice tow vehicles when not overloaded payload-wise. The newer QX56's are, I believe, built on the global Patrol platform and I'm not familiar with it's towing capabilities...but I believe it is still a fine tow vehicle.

You are correct about that. I'm impressed because not many people know that. And I do believe the towing is still best in class. Sounds like you might be almost as big of a Nissan need as Jason.

I have towed with a Titan, an Armada and a QX56. All are (or were in the years you are looking at) built on the same platform and are nice tow vehicles when not overloaded payload-wise. The newer QX56's are, I believe, built on the global Patrol platform and I'm not familiar with it's towing capabilities...but I believe it is still a fine tow vehicle.

You are correct about that. I'm impressed because not many people know that. And I do believe the towing is still best in class. Sounds like you might be almost as big of a Nissan need as Jason.

When I look out my office window I see the Nissan North American headquarters building. It's hard not to be familiar with their vehicles in a town where every other vehicle is a Nissan or Infinity. They employ a lot of people here. Besides the three I mentioned, I've also owned a Quest. That was my least favorite. Don't currently own any.

Thanks fiends!!  You've made me feel much better about our decision.  It was the confirmation that I needed :)

These guys are all clowns. The only opinion that is worth anything is mine. Buy a Ford truck.

These guys are all clowns. The only opinion that is worth anything is mine. Buy a Ford truck.

Haha... we had looked at the trucks and decided next time my husband needs a car (which is hopefully not for at least 5 years) we may want a larger trailer and we'd do both at the same time.  Larger trailer and a larger (Ford) truck.  So no worries... we may follow that opinion.... eventually :)