We used to overnight in rest areas and Walmarts/Cracker Barrels/Flying Js etc. but got tired of mid-night knocks: seldom from security, but usually from someone begging. After many such encounters I suspect that the beggars are not really begging but seeing if the camper is unoccupied (ripe for a break in) or if the occupants are good targets for home-invasion. I hate to think what could have happened if I weren't a big burly guy. It's just not worth the $40 a night to take the risk, IMHO. We generally stop at a cg at the GA-FL line, which is close enough to wake when we want, have a leisurely prep and drive and still be to the Fort in plenty of time for checkin, or even for lunch at Earl before checkin. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just curious, if you stop at Earl of Sandwich (which I assume you mean) prior to check in, do you drop the trailer off at the Campground overflow lot?  Can't imagine where you'd park the trailer at Downtown Disney, especially now with the construction.

We used to overnight in rest areas and Walmarts/Cracker Barrels/Flying Js etc. but got tired of mid-night knocks: seldom from security, but usually from someone begging. After many such encounters I suspect that the beggars are not really begging but seeing if the camper is unoccupied (ripe for a break in) or if the occupants are good targets for home-invasion. I hate to think what could have happened if I weren't a big burly guy.

Really?  We always overnight at the FJ in St. Augustine and have never had this happen.  

Just curious, if you stop at Earl of Sandwich (which I assume you mean) prior to check in, do you drop the trailer off at the Campground overflow lot?  Can't imagine where you'd park the trailer at Downtown Disney, especially now with the construction.

We've parked early morning in the DD parking lot while waiting for Guest Services to open.  Way out in the lot.  On our last trip we tried to park there for an hour or so but security ran us off.  So we went to the check-in at the fort at 6:30 am, and it was open.  We got onto our site a few hours later.

That's really surprising. We usually do DD on arrival and departure and never had problems either parking or with security. Course, that's probably just 6 total instances, so not a huge sample! Oh, and we've had at least 4 scary beggar encounters, which is quite enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't imagine where you'd park the trailer at Downtown Disney, especially now with the construction.

Before they started the construction you may have found a spot (especially during the week or early in the day), but right now I don't think there's any possible way you could do it.  Last Saturday it looked like the only lot open was the small one by the Marketplace and it was jammed before noon.

We used to stop for a nap at Walmarts, but it was noisy and some didn't feel as secure as others, although we never had a problem. Usually we were in VA near Richmond, just over the NC border, or North FL.

Lately it's either truck stop or the Welcome centers in FL around St. A.

So far we've never felt unsafe.  But then if anyone knocks on our camper, it's going to sound like an explosion inside when the dogs start barking.  8)

The "on the way out" Earl of Sandwich is something we'll probably have to give up for awhile. Before, when we pulled out with the camper, Rick would drop me near the Earl, circle the outer lot a couple times, then pick me up near the movie theater, and off we'd go. But until the construction is done, we are going nowhere near DTD with a vehicle, much less the camper.

And if you thought it was bad before, which if you know where to go, it's not, but you know what they say about perception, it's going to get worse.

If you read what I posted recently on the "Transportation Updates Around WDW" thread, things are not going to be pretty.

This phrase says a lot. "Bus operations will be consolidated to an expanded Marketplace location". This means that the PI bus area is closing forever.

The first parking garage is proceeding nicely and once that opens, you can forget about parking anywhere near the Marketplace while the second garage is under construction.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/10956-transportation-updates-around-wdw/page-5

I was unaware of the extent of the construction. It wasn't a problem October. We generally arrive early in the week and leave late in the week to minimize weekend up charges. Course, it's not so important to go to DD upon arrival or departure these days since we have the truck and TT, it'd be easier to hop over later once unhitched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The changes between October and now are pretty huge.  Just driving by last week I was amazed at how much room the parking garage is taking up.  I've seen it on the map, but in person it looks gigantic.

And that's only one of two going up.

Plus there is construction on the opposite side of BVD, and at a certain point, say goodbye to the Marketplace bus stops.

When we were there May 10 for the son's graduation weekend we went to DTD via Disney transportation. From the time we boarded the bus until we were dropped off at the Contemporary it was 45 minutes. This was our first trip to DTD in a few years so needless to say we were shocked it took so long.