One topic I have not seen discussed here so far is that of Fulltiming or Snowbirding. How many of us are there that have shed our possesions and decided on a life of freedom on the road? Or those who travel following the sun and warmth? Even if you have ever thought about this glorious lifestyle change but have questions before taking the plunge.

To start off, how many on here are, have, or want to go fulltime?

My husband and i have spoken many times oof the lure of just traveling around in a RV, showing the kids this wonderful country of our up close and personal.  Unfortunately, we have never figured out how to support our family while doing so.  But I keep trying to think of something!  :banana:

I think I would like the lifestyle someday, but we would probably need to keep the stick house for DW to feel secure about things....to have a "home base" to return to.  About two years ago we took a 3+ week trip around the northeast in the RV.  That was one of the best times ever.  We'd love to plan a longer trip out west at some point.  But with the kids our age we won't be doing anything longer any time soon. 

My husband and i have spoken many times oof the lure of just traveling around in a RV, showing the kids this wonderful country of our up close and personal.  Unfortunately, we have never figured out how to support our family while doing so.  But I keep trying to think of something!  :)

Well if you figure it out please share the info!! Hubby and I figure after the kids leave home, we will sell everything and be "THOSE" people :banana:

Ill share our story. It may help some.

We were renting a place for a while. Being military, we didnt know exactly where we wanted to "settle" once I retire in 2 years. We did have our fifth wheel and used it extensivly for short trips here or there, mostly the Fort. Our lease was comming up for renewl and our landlord was starting to become a pain. So we decided to not renew. While looking for a new place, we decided to mov into the fiver until we found just what we wanted. Little did we know we HAD what we wanted. After just a few moths living in the camper, we found we were no longer looking and were concentrating on living in the camper. We are not fulltime travlers yet, as I am still on active duty and cannot venture far, but we have our plan to hit the road and never look back once I retire. We are still young and wanted to enjoy what we can while still able too. Its been two years now and we have almost gotten rid of everything we placed in storage originaly.

We became fulltimers by accident, but would not have it any other way. The biggest hurdle for most is getting used to not having a sticks and bricks. If both do not like the lifestyle, niether one will. In this case, start with snowbirding. It may grow on them, it may not. You never know till you try.

We enjoy it and would not have it any other way. Like they always say, home is every where you go and if you dont like your neighbors, just pull chocks and roll........

We're part way into it.  We got out of the house and spent last summer in the motorhome locally.  the winter months we were going to stay in an apartment for 6 months but one of our kids could use some help financially so we pay them for staying with them, their idea...lol  It does help them out.

We fully intend to spend winters in Florida and maybe Texas some and summers traveling around with grandkids swapping out here and there.  We have to wait till September 2012 to go fully, for insurance reasons.  Have to be 55.  We are so ready.

Last summer we felt like we were always on vacation when we got back to the RV.  Fishing, frisbee golf, mini-golf and barbecues every day.  Yea, I can get used to that.

The kids were always out every weekend too...lol

Oh, and we're still getting rid of stuff from the house.  Gave away a bunch, selling some.  It's amazing how much "stuff" we had.  We still have 3 storage units 10 X 25 full...lol  Yea, we'll miss some of it, but we gave some to the kids so that when we visit, we can still see it.

Talking with many full-timers that were traveling through the campground last summer, none of them was unhappy with doing it.  In fact, some said they wish they hadn't waited so long before doing it.

We're part way into it.  We got out of the house and spent last summer in the motorhome locally.  the winter months we were going to stay in an apartment for 6 months but one of our kids could use some help financially so we pay them for staying with them, their idea...lol  It does help them out.

We fully intend to spend winters in Florida and maybe Texas some and summers traveling around with grandkids swapping out here and there.  We have to wait till September 2012 to go fully, for insurance reasons.  Have to be 55.  We are so ready.

Last summer we felt like we were always on vacation when we got back to the RV.  Fishing, frisbee golf, mini-golf and barbecues every day.  Yea, I can get used to that.

The kids were always out every weekend too...lol

Oh, and we're still getting rid of stuff from the house.  Gave away a bunch, selling some.  It's amazing how much "stuff" we had.  We still have 3 storage units 10 X 25 full...lol  Yea, we'll miss some of it, but we gave some to the kids so that when we visit, we can still see it.

Talking with many full-timers that were traveling through the campground last summer, none of them was unhappy with doing it.  In fact, some said they wish they hadn't waited so long before doing it.

Yeh, you do not realize how much "stuff" you have until you try to get rid of it. I make it a point to, once a year, go through our stuff and if it had not been needed in the past year, it is gone. Keeps the "collecting" down.

I have never met an unhappy fulltimer either.

I guess I'm the odd man out. I would never get rid of my home or shop to full-time. I enjoy camping and traveling, but I need to have my roots planted. Plus, we would never get too far from the family for very long. Gotta see my grandgirls grow up.  Also, I already live in a state where  a gaggle of snowbirds congregate for half the year. :D

We want to do January and February in Florida after I retire.  I still have 6 or 7 years left.  We bought our retirement home 16 years ago and should have that paid off by then here in PA.  I like the spring, summer and fall here.  But winters - not so much.  I could live in our little trailer, but FWGirl couldn't.  She has said she could probably do it for 2 months as long as it was a warm place in the winter.

We want to do January and February in Florida after I retire.  I still have 6 or 7 years left.  We bought our retirement home 16 years ago and should have that paid off by then here in PA.  I like the spring, summer and fall here.  But winters - not so much.  I could live in our little trailer, but FWGirl couldn't.  She has said she could probably do it for 2 months as long as it was a warm place in the winter.

That's all I need. Just to get out of here for the coldest part of the Winter then face the rest of it :D

This topic has got me all giddy!! Hubby can retire in 2 years but wants to stay on the job for another 10 years since he got that cupcake promotion. Plus I am sure the kids are gonna want cars and what not so he is going to have to continue the daily grind!! LOL

But our plan is to go part time when he does retire and just keep a small home in South Carolina (myrtle beach area) so the kids have a place to come home to for the holidays! We figure if we buy the house 3 years before he retires and we go there for holidays.. the transition would be a lot easier for them. I cannot wait there is so much I want to see but with school testing, school year ending later every year and starting early every year they are making it very hard to travel.. they have cut our spring break down to 1 day!! This year we have the Friday off before Easter and thats it. Well we are taking more time and they are just going to have to deal with it!! LOL  We always win those battles with the school  :moon: 

That's all I need. Just to get out of here for the coldest part of the Winter then face the rest of it :moon:

We are currently living in a prime snowbird community and talking to them, they ussualy leave when the first snow of the season falls and return back "home" in April.

Being militray I have never found a place to call home. So needing a place to plant roots is not a concern. Plus Im used to living minumily, so the transition was easy for us. My DW is prior Navy as well, so she took to it quite well. Im not saying the life style is for everyone, but it is definetly nice for those who love to travel and see the country.

That's all I need. Just to get out of here for the coldest part of the Winter then face the rest of it :argh:

Have you checked out SMART. Our neighbors are retired Navy and we travel with them and the rest of the Great Lakes chapter. We are their token civilians. They are a wonderful group :moon:

We are currently living in a prime snowbird community and talking to them, they ussualy leave when the first snow of the season falls and return back "home" in April.

Being militray I have never found a place to call home. So needing a place to plant roots is not a concern. Plus Im used to living minumily, so the transition was easy for us. My DW is prior Navy as well, so she took to it quite well. Im not saying the life style is for everyone, but it is definetly nice for those who love to travel and see the country.

That's all I need. Just to get out of here for the coldest part of the Winter then face the rest of it :argh:

Have you checked out SMART. Our neighbors are retired Navy and we travel with them and the rest of the Great Lakes chapter. We are their token civilians. They are a wonderful group :moon:

I have heard of it, but never checked into it. We used to live on base where I work, but decided to move closer to Disney to cut DWs commute some. I figured a break from the all military affliated folks who we used to live with at the famcamp would be nice and wouldnt you know it, over 90% of the folks staying here are retired military. Guess military and fulltiming go good togeher. Not sure if its just being used to moving around allot or the guranteed steady paycheck after only 20 years of serving. There are definetly allot of retired military who fulltime/snowbird.

As a side note, I love the instant comraderi developed in the RVing community. Within 2 days of moving to this park, we were friends with nearly everyone here. For christmas, they had a golf cart parade everynight and always have get togethers just to hang out (and drink- these older folks are real lushes ;))

DW will do it, but only if we find a 90 foot MH with a two garage. I took it as a no.

Not quite 90 feet, but........

RV_garage.jpg

or take your pick....

home_img.jpg

and if she says something about wanting a boat and not being able to have one with you.....

worlds-first-luxury-amphibious-motor-coach-yacht-1.jpg

My wife & I met in a campground so yes we plan to retire and travel, the oldest son has made the offer to stay living at home so someone will be there to takes care of things( not that he does any of it now) and the yougest son has offered to keep all my trains with him if he moves out, somehow I get the feeling neither one is moving out. Well that won't be to bad at least we will still have a home to come back to ( I HOPE )

I DO!!!  I want to fulltime so bad when the time is right.  However, DH insists on keeping a house.

Carol - It has to be a RICK thing!!  We full-timed for 1.5 years & I LOVED it!  My Rick had to have another house for all his toys.  :rofl2:

If it were totally up to me I'd be back to full-timing and have a utility trailer big enough to house a golf cart, a mini-cooper, and some extra necessities for Rick. I don't need much as evidenced by the fact that when we went to full-timing I had 15 small boxes of sentimental knick-knacks and Christmas decorations in storage.  Rick's stuff filled up the rest of a double car sized storage unit from top to bottom!!!  :rofl2:

DH and I are in the plans to figure out how to do this in the fall after we get one of our sons married off in August.  We are SO unsure of whether to rent monthly or sell our house and buy in an RV community permanently.  For now, just checking some real estate listings in the area of Polk City.  Work kamping is another way we might go also....any input from more experienced folks will surely be welcome, especially places that are "friendly". 

Nancy

DH and I are in the plans to figure out how to do this in the fall after we get one of our sons married off in August.  We are SO unsure of whether to rent monthly or sell our house and buy in an RV community permanently.  For now, just checking some real estate listings in the area of Polk City.  Work kamping is another way we might go also....any input from more experienced folks will surely be welcome, especially places that are "friendly". 

Nancy

We are currently staying in Polk City. A nice little park called LeLynn. Its right behind Fantasy of Flight and right off I4. Quite park with lots of friendly people. The staff here are great and so far have not had any problems. There arent many fulltime residents here, most are snowbirds, so the park clears out around April and fills to capacity around Oct Nov timeframe. The sites are well spaced and you are not right ontop of your neighbors. We are happy here. We did look at most of the parks in the area and this was the nicest one and the most reasonably priced. We just pay monthly, didnt buy a spot. We wanted the freedom to leave whenever we wanted.