I've never owned either. But I regularly pull number pull stock trailers and gooseneck stock trailers.

Bumper pull is more "squirrelly". Gooseneck is easier to back up.

I would much rather pull the gooseneck. I feel like the gooseneck is more stable. It doesn't sway as much while towing.

I don't know if it's the same thing but I hope it helps.

We have had both. The 5er did pull better. But that's it everything else I prefer a travel trailer. Not being able to haul stuff in the bed of the truck sucked. And what would fit would blow out due to the wind being pushed into the bed by the 5er. Now turning around was better with the 5er. But backing into a campsite I find easier with the travel trailer. I also like hooking up my travel trailer better. Even though my 5er was converted to a goose neck so i didnt have this problem with a 5er you have the giant heavy hitch in the bed of you truck. We are on our second travel trailer toy hauler and I have not missed the 5er one bit.

We have owned both and my choice is a 5th wheel, easy to hook up no weight bars or anti sway to worry about. I like the way they tow and I feel they handle better, I also feel they are roomier inside and to me there are a better choice of floor plans the we like. Good luck in your choice either will bring a good time and lots of memories.

I've only had a TT, but I like the idea that a fiver with the same amount of living area as a TT is a dramatically shorter truck-trailer unit since there is no gap between and space over the bed is used. I would think this makes tight maneuvering and backing easier, but I'll bow to Lone-Star's experience here. I agree that fivers seem to have nicer floor plans and in general seem to use better materials. I would have to imagine my mileage with my lower profile TT is much better than it would be with a comparably sized fiver. There are always trade offs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lone star and Rennie both make very valid points. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. We've had a 24' TT, a 28' FW, and 40' toy hauler FW. One thing I can say for sure is the 40' FW pulls better than the 24' TT. I also like the room of the FW. The 8' ceilings make it feel more less cramped, but I did have to buy a dually to pull it.

I would have to imagine my mileage with my lower profile TT is much better than it would be with a comparably sized fiver.

In my case it did not matter much. I think where the FW rides is more aero than a TT. I saw a 1mpg drop from a 24 TT to a 28' mid profile FW and another 1mpg drop going to a 40' full profile FW that weighed twice as much.

All I'm going to do is confirm what others have already posted, but it comes with a little different perspective.  We, too, have owned both.  When we owned our TTs, they were vacation units.  Our first fiver was a "learner" unit and after 6 months of retirement, we ordered & bought our current unit.  

1) What you want will largely out weight a logical decision.  A setup, no matter how logically thought out and researched, that you hate isn't fun. (Been there.)  What do you dream about?  What does Mom (Happy Mothers Day!) want?  

2) If you plan to travel out west with high winds or in/around large metropolitan areas where you're in a lane with 18 wheelers on either side of you, the 5th wheel is the most stable.  Donna does 95% of our driving while towing and a lot of that is due to the stability of the 5th.  However, I have spoken with one couple that felt the 5th was too dangerous and bought an Airstream.

3) While there's always an exception, 5th wheels have more room & storage (and that's probably why they're typically heavier).  I totally get the complaints about being unable to use the bed of the truck.  However, if you need that space while towing - consider a toy hauler.  Also, research the 5th wheel hitch to ensure you get one that's easy to remove and leaves the pickup bed floor flat so you can use your truck bed when not towing...unless you don't like helping people move.  In that case, leave the hitch in and use it as an excuse.

4) I've always felt the TT was the best for first time users.  Generally cheaper to purchase and easier to get rid of if you find RVing just isn't your style.  They great learning tools.  Also, many people just don't want a pickup, so that kinda limits you to what you can tow, anyway.   We had a ton of fun with a 25 ft Sunlines (no longer made) and Suburbans.

5) Why did you rule out a motorhome?  Money?  Due to size limitations, we're finding that we're having to rule out volunteer opportunities because we're just too large.  A smaller class A with a small vehicle is what we're thinking. (There are fiends on here who can give you expert advice on these setups.)  Way more expensive that a SUV & TT, too.  We've rented and traveled in class As, and good units are out there.  We've found them easier to set up or prepare to move.  Easier to park a small car that a 22 ft long, 101 inch wide pickup.  I wouldn't be so hasty to rule that set up out.  We do see - from time-to-time - Views pulling small utility trailers.  Just a thought.

Just my rambling thoughts.  Good luck!  David

All I'm going to do is confirm what others have already posted, but it comes with a little different perspective.  We, too, have owned both.  When we owned our TTs, they were vacation units.  Our first fiver was a "learner" unit and after 6 months of retirement, we ordered & bought our current unit.  

1) What you want will largely out weight a logical decision.  A setup, no matter how logically thought out and researched, that you hate isn't fun. (Been there.)  What do you dream about?  What does Mom (Happy Mothers Day!) want?  

2) If you plan to travel out west with high winds or in/around large metropolitan areas where you're in a lane with 18 wheelers on either side of you, the 5th wheel is the most stable.  Donna does 95% of our driving while towing and a lot of that is due to the stability of the 5th.  However, I have spoken with one couple that felt the 5th was too dangerous and bought an Airstream.

3) While there's always an exception, 5th wheels have more room & storage (and that's probably why they're typically heavier).  I totally get the complaints about being unable to use the bed of the truck.  However, if you need that space while towing - consider a toy hauler.  Also, research the 5th wheel hitch to ensure you get one that's easy to remove and leaves the pickup bed floor flat so you can use your truck bed when not towing...unless you don't like helping people move.  In that case, leave the hitch in and use it as an excuse.

4) I've always felt the TT was the best for first time users.  Generally cheaper to purchase and easier to get rid of if you find RVing just isn't your style.  They great learning tools.  Also, many people just don't want a pickup, so that kinda limits you to what you can tow, anyway.   We had a ton of fun with a 25 ft Sunlines (no longer made) and Suburbans.

5) Why did you rule out a motorhome?  Money?  Due to size limitations, we're finding that we're having to rule out volunteer opportunities because we're just too large.  A smaller class A with a small vehicle is what we're thinking. (There are fiends on here who can give you expert advice on these setups.)  Way more expensive that a SUV & TT, too.  We've rented and traveled in class As, and good units are out there.  We've found them easier to set up or prepare to move.  Easier to park a small car that a 22 ft long, 101 inch wide pickup.  I wouldn't be so hasty to rule that set up out.  We do see - from time-to-time - Views pulling small utility trailers.  Just a thought.

Just my rambling thoughts.  Good luck!  David

We started with a small motorhome before switching to the TT. We switched because we bought a pretty capable pickup, mostly because we needed it for our remodeling. It just didn't make sense to maintain two, large block engines. Once we are done with the remodeling (years) we will likely sell the truck and TT and would like to move back to a motorhome and perhaps full-time for a few years before moving to a retirement home. I really like the Tandem-Tow trailer, which is a golf-cart trailer and car dolly in one. Seems like a great combo for a couple: smaller moho, small car (we have a pretty new Prius wagon) and golf cart. We are thinking of The Villages for retirement, so the small car and cart could be long term purchases for us, and the moho we'd keep until we are too old or just tired of traveling/Fort'ing/paying for storage. Sorry for the ramble, but sometimes I find it helpful to hear other peoples' thought processes... even if it only helps me realize that "yeah, that's not an important consideration for me". HIH

We started with a small motorhome before switching to the TT. We switched because we bought a pretty capable pickup, mostly because we needed it for our remodeling. It just didn't make sense to maintain two, large block engines. Once we are done with the remodeling (years) we will likely sell the truck and TT and would like to move back to a motorhome and perhaps full-time for a few years before moving to a retirement home. I really like the Tandem-Tow trailer, which is a golf-cart trailer and car dolly in one. Seems like a great combo for a couple: smaller moho, small car (we have a pretty new Prius wagon) and golf cart. We are thinking of The Villages for retirement, so the small car and cart could be long term purchases for us, and the moho we'd keep until we are too old or just tired of traveling/Fort'ing/paying for storage. Sorry for the ramble, but sometimes I find it helpful to hear other peoples' thought processes... even if it only helps me realize that "yeah, that's not an important consideration for me". HIH

We thought about a motorhome before we bought our last camper. But it just doesn't make good sence when I have a diesel truck setting in the driveway. The cost to keep up a motor home vs a trailer was to big a difference to me. If we traveled full time it would be a different story.

Also on MH vs. trailer/5ver, I've read for full-timers that really move around a lot, a MH is much easier. MHs, especially diesel need to be driven, TT/5vers are more conducive to long term sitting in one place. (One example in particular, Hilda's MH sat in one place for 3 years, and from what I understand the engine was shot after sitting that long)

MHs, especially diesel need to be driven, TT/5vers are more conducive to long term sitting in one place. (One example in particular, Hilda's MH sat in one place for 3 years, and from what I understand the engine was shot after sitting that long)

Yes, diesel MHs need to be driven.  We're very lax in that we haven't moved ours in six months.  Plan to do something about that soon.

I haven't heard that about Hilda's MH.  I would have loved to have her unit, especially with the graphics on the back.

I would suggest listing your requirement and skech out your ideal floor plan.

If you need to buy a TV and TT/5er, maybe a Class C or C+ would work for you and be about the same price.

The wife and I are debaiting latelty on what we will want in 5 years. Do we buy a big truck or van + TT that will sit while we drive our commuter cars during the week. Or do we get a Class C and not how the bunk beds but have the easy over not stop/ lunch on the go ability.

We have a 26' BH TT now. We love it, just looking to upgrade in the next few years. It will have to be a BH and have at least one slide (we have none now). No hurry, just wondering about the 5er.

We have a 26' BH TT now. We love it, just looking to upgrade in the next few years. It will have to be a BH and have at least one slide (we have none now). No hurry, just wondering about the 5er.

With looking in a few years that gives you plenty of time to search & compare, but sometimes when you find that perfect unit and wait to buy it when you go to purchase you hear the dealer say, Oh I'm sorry they discontinued that floor plan last year!!!!! I have heard that happen.

I do not own a 5er but I can offer this.  As far a resale goes it do agree 5ers are harder to sell.  My neighbor had his for sale for over a year, no takers, he still has it.  It is a nice 5th wheel, higher end model.  I listed my travel trailer on Craigslist and sold it within one week to the first guy at asking price.  As I understand 5ers do tow better because the pin weight is located above the rear axel, thus minimizing sway.  Now what I do have experience with is towing up and down the east coast, Boston - Richmond corridor with 18 wheelers surrounding me and steep grade in the mountainous regions of PA and upstate NY.  Had wd/sway on tt and did well but on occasion get squirrelly, but I recently upgraded to a 31' tt (overall length) with a propride p3 hitch.  Guess what..... these hitches work and work well.  TT and truck are one unit going down road, sway gone or reduced to a point of no concern.  So do not let the towing characteristics of a TT vs 5er  be a deciding factor.   With the correct hitch a TT can have road manners like a 5th wheel.

frank