For those of you fiends, who have stayed in or around Atlanta, any recommendations on a campground?  I've found a couple of state parks that look interesting...only hiccup is my kiddos really like to swim (in a pool) so that's been tough to find.

Any suggestions?  We'd like to stay within 2 hrs (maybe 3) of the ATL.

We like Victoria Landing campground in Woodstock, a northern suburb. For some reason it's very hard to find online or on map programs. Google has it as 1000 Victoria Landing Dr, Woodstock, GA 30189. There is some info on it here: http://lakeallatoona.com/camping/victoria-campground/

Be aware that these are partial hookup sites, so you may want to bring a poop-wagon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our two favorites are Red Top Mountain State Park and McKinney Corps of Engineers park both on Lake Allatoona.  All of the COE campgrounds we have stayed at have been fine.  We stay at Allatoona Landing Campground (privately run) since our boat and trailer are stored there.  

We have stayed at high springs state park near Macon which is really nice.  Other further out favorites are Cloudland Canyon State Park and Unicoi State Park.  We have stayed at Fort Mountain State Park with scouts and it was nice but I can't address RV sites.   Another place that we stayed one time was Plum Nelly in Elijay.  Nice little family park.  Very convenient with for the Apple festivals and picking. 

I know there are some really nice places on Lake Lanier.  I have driven through the Lake Lanier Islands campground years ago and it was pretty nice.

We have also stayed at a little campground attached to the Camping World location in Chattanooga South several times. Cheap and clean.

Any specific Q's just let me know.

Our favorite local spots are:

Bald Ridge Creek on Lake Lanier (online booking)

Shady Grove on Lake Lanier (you have to book via phone 30 days in advance)

One that we really enjoy to location and amenities is River Vista in northwest GA. You have no privacy, but they have a pool, huge indoor hot tub (kind of like a pool when it's winter), planned activities, and it's super close to the Dillard House (OMG!!!! YUM!) and Highlands, NC. 

Stone Mountain also has a pool. We've visited there (including visiting Fiends at the campground), but I've never camped there. We will be in October. 

Thanks Fiends, Stone Mountain is one we are considering.  Just booked a 3 night stay for this/Memorial Day weekend at the KOA in Chattanooga (Lookout Mtn/Chattanooga West).  We have a wedding up in Chattanooga on Saturday, so hopefully this will work well.  They had one spot open and, after talking with the owner Brian, it sounds like it may be a decent visit.  Praying for hot temps so the kiddos can use their pool! :)

Thanks Fiends, Stone Mountain is one we are considering.  Just booked a 3 night stay for this/Memorial Day weekend at the KOA in Chattanooga (Lookout Mtn/Chattanooga West).  We have a wedding up in Chattanooga on Saturday, so hopefully this will work well.  They had one spot open and, after talking with the owner Brian, it sounds like it may be a decent visit.  Praying for hot temps so the kiddos can use their pool! :)

We have been there.  It is nice but out of the way.  The time zone changes back and forth between there and chatt so keep that in mind.  They have an old time drive in theater just down the road.  They had just put in a bouncing pad when we were there and we couldn't keep the kiddos off all weekend.  I do remember needed a lot of lumber to get the trailer level.  May have just been the site we had.  They were doing a lot of site improvements while we were there.  The people running the campground were super nice and even came out to help us get set up.

Stone Mountain is good. You would probably also like Indian Springs State Park in Jackson.

Actually when I said High Springs I really meant Indian Springs (they are very close to each other).  We have stayed at Indian twice and really enjoyed it. 

There is a stream at the front of the park that you can wade into and sit in the rocks on a hot day.  Really refreshing......  This place has a ton of history and they have been doing that for hundreds of years there. 

They have a lake with beach and small boat rentals (peddle boats).   Great little bar-b-q joint call Fresh Air BBQ just down the road which was very good.

We used to stay at that KOA....be aware that some of their sites are unlevel.  Most are fine, but if you get one near the jumping pillow watch out for that.  Depending on where your wedding is, it would be a bit of a drive.  The KOA is off I-59, around 15-20 min from downtown Chatt.  If you want to be closer, the Best Holiday is a nice base camp, but the sites are small and close together.  

We used to stay at that KOA....be aware that some of their sites are unlevel.  Most are fine, but if you get one near the jumping pillow watch out for that.  Depending on where your wedding is, it would be a bit of a drive.  The KOA is off I-59, around 15-20 min from downtown Chatt.  If you want to be closer, the Best Holiday is a nice base camp, but the sites are small and close together.  

Thanks for the tip.

We have been there.  It is nice but out of the way.  The time zone changes back and forth between there and chatt so keep that in mind.  They have an old time drive in theater just down the road.  They had just put in a bouncing pad when we were there and we couldn't keep the kiddos off all weekend.  I do remember needed a lot of lumber to get the trailer level.  May have just been the site we had.  They were doing a lot of site improvements while we were there.  The people running the campground were super nice and even came out to help us get set up.

Didn't know about the time change, thank you! Maybe that's why (when I asked about the check-in time), the owner specified EST (which I thought was odd as Atlanta is in EST).  I get it now :)

If your looking for some nice scenery, great sites, beautiful lake while feeling like completely being in the middle of the wilderness, Red Top Mountain is a good choice. This park is trey camping to me. They have nice full hook up sites that are all drive through. We would go there more often if we were closer

Actually, I've been looking at Red Top for our November trip since our regular cg closes in October, and according to the website they are partial hookups (no sewer) so bring a poop-wagon if you're staying more than a couple of days.

We've camped there a couple of times also, until we discovered Cloudland Canyon. It's not much farther down the road from there and Chattanooga is still reasonably accessible.

Actually, I've been looking at Red Top for our November trip since our regular cg closes in October, and according to the website they are partial hookups (no sewer) so bring a poop-wagon if you're staying more than a couple of days.

Your probably right. We would stay there every time on our way to the smokies. We wouldn't even unhitch. It's a great park