I spent the the last few days at a nearby state park and decided my next camping related expenditure needs to be a screen room. I have a small shelter that is easy to put up but it is too small and doesn't have screens - all it provides is a bit of shade. Tell me about your screen rooms. What brand is it? Why do you like it or why don't you like it. Have you seen another one you really like?

Thanks!

I have one I bought a Walmart. Easy to put up, self supporting (frame is attached to fabric) all you have to do is unfold it. Not real large but will cover a table at the Fort with room to move around in it. Was fairly inexpensive and works

We tried a Northwest Territory ? One from K-Mart this past week at the Fort. It was a semi dome shaped one 10x10. It worked ok as a screen room, but the top wasn't waterproof. We got it for $40 on sale, this week it's now $50. It's advantage is that it packs down to a bag about 2 1/2 feet long. Took 2 of us about 10 minutes to set up the first time. We had a folding buffet table set up inside of it along with camp chairs.

We ended up buying this canopy:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-12-x-12-Gazebo/23428071 and then purchased screen walls (I think on Amazon, but I cannot find those right now).  We've been very happy with this canopy as it gives you a good amount of room under/within the canopy.  

Before that, we had something similar to this:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Instant-10-x-10-Screen-House-Gray/22301933  and while this product was a little easier to put up, we did not like it when camping only because it felt very cramped to us (mainly because the walls angle so the dimensions at the top are about 2 feet smaller than at the bottom).

We ended up buying this canopy:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-12-x-12-Gazebo/23428071 and then purchased screen walls (I think on Amazon, but I cannot find those right now).  We've been very happy with this canopy as it gives you a good amount of room under/within the canopy.  

Before that, we had something similar to this:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Instant-10-x-10-Screen-House-Gray/22301933  and while this product was a little easier to put up, we did not like it when camping only because it felt very cramped to us (mainly because the walls angle so the dimensions at the top are about 2 feet smaller than at the bottom).

That Ozark is similar to the one we got at K-Mart.  Probably went out a different door from the same factory.  Ours had a maroon top and was Northwest.

Is the Coleman top waterproof?

We were at the Meadow pool and people had some canopies set up and they stayed dry during the rain. 

Dick's has some canopies on sale this week.  The middle priced one says the top is water resistant, the lower priced one doesnt say.

We are looking for something to sit under, stay dry and bug free.

We have the screen walls for our ez-up and they have zippers on 2 sides to make it easy to get in and out when all 4 "walls" are on. They attach easily to the ez-up with velcro and have come in handy for sure. We went this route since we already had the ez-up, it made sense to just have them and use them if we wanted instead of carrying an additional "device" that we may or may not use.

That Ozark is similar to the one we got at K-Mart.  Probably went out a different door from the same factory.  Ours had a maroon top and was Northwest.

Is the Coleman top waterproof?

We were at the Meadow pool and people had some canopies set up and they stayed dry during the rain. 

Dick's has some canopies on sale this week.  The middle priced one says the top is water resistant, the lower priced one doesnt say.

We are looking for something to sit under, stay dry and bug free.

Thanks for the continuing input everyone.  Like Travisma, I'm looking for something to sit under, stay dry, and bug free.  In addition I don't want the screens to restrict airflow too much.  It was in the upper 90's this past weekend and we appreciated the little breeze we had. 

There's a Dick's across from work and another on the way home.  I'll check them out. 

Thanks again everyone. 

We use the easy up with screen walls. We always want the easy up at camp and if the bugs are bad we can add the screen walls. Don't have to carry easy up and a screen room too. Also have solid walls if we want to block wind or early or late day sun. 

Here is a link to the Clam 1660 Mag Screen Room:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=738659

Square footage-wise it is a bit smaller than the EZ Up 10x10; but, it is so easy to put up and take down.  $$$

Ouch...that is pricey.  Ours has good airflow; I wish I could find where I bought the screen walls at.  They were cheaper than the ones that Coleman made, but fit perfectly.

As for waterproof...this last trip we had some pretty decent afternoon rain showers and I saw a few drips however, I had not sealed the seams so I'm doing that before our next trip and I'm pretty sure that will do the trick as the there were just a few drips.

Ouch...that is pricey.  Ours has good airflow; I wish I could find where I bought the screen walls at.  They were cheaper than the ones that Coleman made, but fit perfectly.

As for waterproof...this last trip we had some pretty decent afternoon rain showers and I saw a few drips however, I had not sealed the seams so I'm doing that before our next trip and I'm pretty sure that will do the trick as the there were just a few drips.

I guess you are really twice blessed.

I saw a nice Screenroom on the Coleman site and chatted with a rep to see if the top was waterproof.  He said no, so I asked him if any of the canopies/screen rooms were, and again he said no.

Most of these screen rooms have good reviews presented first.  I've been clicking on the bad reviews specifically:

The Coleman 12x10 Hex Screen Room:

Do NOT buy this shade shelter unless you want to take it down every time it rains. Our shelter was set up in our backyard when a summer thunderstorm came though. The canopy filled with water and the metal frame failled. When I called Coleman they said the shelter had to be taken down whenever it rained. They would not even repair it if we mailed it to them at our expense. We would not have bought it had we known it was so fragile.

I like the way the top canvas lets light in, but after two seasons the top canvas is so fragile that you can make a hole by pushing your finger through it. The problem is that a replacement top is not available.

Less than a month, and already seams are opening up. The thing went up easily enough, at least. But already seams are pulling apart on the rain cover and at the zippers.

I agree with the other reviews that give high marks to the quality of the frame and the general deign of the structure. Unfortunately, by the second summer of use, the fabric top of the shelter completely deteriorated due to UV exposure. Numerous small holes and tears developed as the fabric became ever more brittle and faded.

Did not last a week, it rained and frame broke. thought Coleman was made for camping but ended up all wet.

Wenzel Biscayne:

Must be relatively new since there are 10 good reviews and the 2 bad reviews are a mis-post and someone who wanted a screen room with a sewn in floor.

EZ up 10x10

New review from July 1st - Several of the trusses just bent and I called to get a replacement only to be informed that they no longer make that model so they no longer make parts for it.

From June 23rd -We had it up a total of 3 weeks. We had a rain, it collected water and collapsed the top structure. Our previous pop up lasted 3 years frame still good, tiny tare in fabric was our reason for replacing. It was a first up.

From June 22nd - Don't waste your money - ours didn't even last 4 days at the beach. It was fairly easy to put up but the metal legs rusted from the inside out after only days. Because of the rust the frame was impossible to take down and had to be forced - thus breaking two of the legs. It now sits in an Alabama landfill.

Older review - It is very misleading but the tarp is only 8x8. Product works well, but feel mislead by the description. Comparing it o a friendss actual 10x10 tarp (his is labeled 12x12) that he bought at a sporting good chain for 2/3 the price, I saw no difference in quality between the two. The diference that the extra square footage makes is significant.

Clam 1660 Mag Screen Room

I find the video misleading. It looks like the pole assemblies fold in half making the overall length when taken down to be maybe 4 to 4-1/2 feet. Could it be as much as 5'? Oh, yes! Try over 6 feet

The products quality is excellent and it is very easy to set up. The down side is that it can not be transported easily in our suv we have to but one of the seat down make it fit. If you were not able to put the seat down due to children you would have to use the roof to transport it. kind of a bummer

we had our little 10 x 10 cheapie set up and a light wind came thru. It stayed up fine. People next to us had a larger square Coleman that has the self supporting ez up type of frame that blew over and got bent. But, I don't think he had it staked down.

Don't you just love reviews?  How can one items reviews differ so much.

We try to watch for strong winds.  I know that if it's going to be really windy, that we should lower the canopy as the supports can bend (even if it's staked down).  That's the tough thing on these canopies.  It would be a shame to spend a lot of money on something, only to have it break.  We would be very sad if ours broke as at $150, it wasn't cheap.  The other one we purchased was a lot more affordable (maybe $35 on sale?)...but it was just too small.  Okay for two people and a couple of chairs or small table, but for a family of four who was trying to put a picnic table underneath and still have room to walk around...it was just too small.  This last trip, with our larger (12x12) canopy, we had the picnic table, a grill, a drying rack and a (small, IKEA) highchair under there with the screens installed and it was comfortable  :thumbsup3:

We try to watch for strong winds.  I know that if it's going to be really windy, that we should lower the canopy as the supports can bend (even if it's staked down).  That's the tough thing on these canopies.  It would be a shame to spend a lot of money on something, only to have it break.  We would be very sad if ours broke as at $150, it wasn't cheap.  The other one we purchased was a lot more affordable (maybe $35 on sale?)...but it was just too small.  Okay for two people and a couple of chairs or small table, but for a family of four who was trying to put a picnic table underneath and still have room to walk around...it was just too small.  This last trip, with our larger (12x12) canopy, we had the picnic table, a grill, a drying rack and a (small, IKEA) highchair under there with the screens installed and it was comfortable  :thumbsup3:

What make and model?

Nice.

I saw a Quest 12x12 screen room on Dicks site.  Followed links to various reviews both good/bad of course.  Makes you wonder if the people are even talking about the same item.  One reviewer that liked it said he was even more impressed by a Wenzel Biscayne 14x12 screen room.  Said it was a lot sturdier and mostly waterproof.  Someone at the beach had one and it stood up to fairly high winds.  We took back our Northwest territor 10x10.  It was compact and set up pretty easily, but it was really flimsy and not waterproof at all.

Nice.

I saw a Quest 12x12 screen room on Dicks site.  Followed links to various reviews both good/bad of course.  Makes you wonder if the people are even talking about the same item.  One reviewer that liked it said he was even more impressed by a Wenzel Biscayne 14x12 screen room.  Said it was a lot sturdier and mostly waterproof.  Someone at the beach had one and it stood up to fairly high winds.  We took back our Northwest territor 10x10.  It was compact and set up pretty easily, but it was really flimsy and not waterproof at all.

Yeah... I thought the same thing, when I read the reviews.  For us, we went with the one that wasn't (super) expensive and easy to locate (our local Walmart had one in stock).  Then I brought it home and set it up, once I set it up I loved the size of it...so we kept it :)    Personally I think most canopies would break with a decent wind gust; best you can do is try and watch them.

It's hard to get information, even from the manufactureres web pages.  K-Mart has an ez up style 10 x 10 on sale this week, but no notes if there are screen attachments available.  Go to the manufacturers site, all they say is that model is an exclusive for K-Mart and Sears, but it looks identical to another one they sell that does take the screens.

Then try to find out if the tops are water proof/resistant/or just let the rain pour through.

My head is spinning trying to figure out what to look for.

We have a 12 x 12 ez up type of canopy we bought used from Goodwill.  When we went to set it up, we discovered a bent leg and broken truss piece, plus it was a major pain trying to get it opened up.  I fixed the broken piece and I'm trying to get the leg repaired, but even with those taken care of I think it's still going to be too much trouble setting up, plus there's no screen.

Found the Wenzel at Kohls online, decent price plus we have a 30% off coupon, so that may be the way we go. Only thing I don't like about it is that it gets its larger size by having angled legs, so the protective roof is smaller than the base.

I much prefer the straight leg type "Easy up"  You get more shade plus you can put them closer to things. We sometimes put ours up against the popup awning to extend the contentious living area outside the popup. The slant leg type leave a 1' gap between the cover or the legs get in the way. 

I much prefer the straight leg type "Easy up"  You get more shade plus you can put them closer to things. We sometimes put ours up against the popup awning to extend the contentious living area outside the popup. The slant leg type leave a 1' gap between the cover or the legs get in the way. 

Thats what I was seeing, but those types with the screens included are hard to find or pricey.  Then trying to find out if they screens as an option is even harder.  I see a lot of people posting in reviews that the ez up types are prone to collapsing or the braces breaking, especially if they get wet/accumulate rain.... gee something that never happens at the Fort.