Thoughts on campgrounds in/near Savannah, Ga.

We have decided one marathon drive is enough when we visit the Fort in October. With this in mind we have decided to stop in Savannah on the way back and spend a day there since we've never visited it before. Right now we are considering the Savannah South KOA and Skidaway Island State Park. After discounts and entrance fees the overnight costs are similar. The amenities are acceptable at both considering we will spending most of our time in Savannah.

I was wondering if folks have had any experience with either of these parks, recommendations or alternatives?

While we are in Savannah are there any recommended restaurants for a Thursday or Friday night adult dinner?

Thanks

We've used the KOA it's a nice park, freindly staff and the seasonals are primarily to the back in their own section. Have you thought about Tybee Island, of course it would be more driving since it is South of Savannah and you have to go through town to get there.

• 6 months later...

Keith... did you enjoy your stay at the KOA?

Forgot to update after our stay.

I would say it was typical of KOA's I've been to. It was clean, including the bathrooms, and all of the hookups worked well. The campground was easy to get to from the interstate and not all that far from groceries and such. Like most KOA's the sites are pretty close together with minimal shade. It is near a train track that is across the main road from the campground that had a couple of trains a night. This might or might not be a problem depending upon how you sleep. We are planning on using it down and back on our next trip to The Fort.

Getting into Savannah for a visit took us about 30 minutes in the morning and about an hour in the evening to get out as we got stuck in rush hour. With the one full day we had plenty of time to see the main museums, the river front area, a house or two, and eating/drinking at the Moon River Brewery. All of this was done walking around but they do have a free bus service that will carry folks around too. If you have train buffs the transportation museum while small has a steam engine with car you can ride. We might have done a bit more but the stop at the Moon River Brewery took a couple of hours in order to be sure we had time for  adequate sampling.  Even with this we still had time to get out to Old Fort Jackson (OFJ) and Fort Pulaski (FP).

Of the two forts OFJ felt more touristy to me. I also think FP was a little better kept up and I preferred it over OFJ. Between the two I would say OFJ would be the best for people with younger children as FP has very high gun emplacements without any type of safety rails nor do they have hand rails on the stairs. OFJ on the other hand has railings and smooth walking surfaces where the gun emplacements are making it safer.  FP is free and OFJ has an admission fee. What we did was buy an all access pass which got us into all of the Savannah museums.

Forgot to update after our stay.

I would say it was typical of KOA's I've been to. It was clean, including the bathrooms, and all of the hookups worked well. The campground was easy to get to from the interstate and not all that far from groceries and such. Like most KOA's the sites are pretty close together with minimal shade. It is near a train track that is across the main road from the campground that had a couple of trains a night. This might or might not be a problem depending upon how you sleep. We are planning on using it down and back on our next trip to The Fort.

Getting into Savannah for a visit took us about 30 minutes in the morning and about an hour in the evening to get out as we got stuck in rush hour. With the one full day we had plenty of time to see the main museums, the river front area, a house or two, and eating/drinking at the Moon River Brewery. All of this was done walking around but they do have a free bus service that will carry folks around too. If you have train buffs the transportation museum while small has a steam engine with car you can ride. We might have done a bit more but the stop at the Moon River Brewery took a couple of hours in order to be sure we had time for  adequate sampling.  Even with this we still had time to get out to Old Fort Jackson (OFJ) and Fort Pulaski (FP).

Of the two forts OFJ felt more touristy to me. I also think FP was a little better kept up and I preferred it over OFJ. Between the two I would say OFJ would be the best for people with younger children as FP has very high gun emplacements without any type of safety rails nor do they have hand rails on the stairs. OFJ on the other hand has railings and smooth walking surfaces where the gun emplacements are making it safer.  FP is free and OFJ has an admission fee. What we did was buy an all access pass which got us into all of the Savannah museums.

You reminded me of how much I enjoyed the Moon River Brewery (except for the coffee beer).  Shortly after returning home from our stay in Savannah we watched this on the travel channel about it. Thought this was pretty cool.

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/ghost-adventures/articles/moon-rivers-haunted-history

You reminded me of how much I enjoyed the Moon River Brewery (except for the coffee beer).  Shortly after returning home from our stay in Savannah we watched this on the travel channel about it. Thought this was pretty cool.

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/ghost-adventures/articles/moon-rivers-haunted-history

Cool. I had never seen that show. All I can say is at least the ghosts appear to leave the beer alone or who knows maybe that's the brewers secret ingredient.