Atlanta Airport Tell Me About It

I've gone "through" Atlanta airport hundreds of times, but I've never originated travel there, except to drop off and pick up my son when he flew into there.

However, for our California trip, the only way we could get FF flights within my balance was out of Atlanta. We are also flying two different airlines, (yeah, our company flight pricing rules doesn't allow me to stick with one airline).

Looking at the terminal map Delta and United are on opposite sides of the domestic terminal.

My questions are:

Can we get to either side of the terminal "inside" the terminal? It looks that way, but hard to tell.

How are the security lines for a 7:30 am flight? (I do have TSA Pre-check). Rick's flight is at 9:40, so he'll have plenty of time since he'll get there with me.

I looked at several hotels in the area to stay the night before, and their "park & fly" rates are higher than points on the hotel and parking in the airport "Park & Ride" lots.

How long should we allow to get from Park & Ride" to the terminal?

Carol,

I don't fly too often out of ATL anymore. To answer your first Q - yes you can easily get from Untied counter and DL counter in the terminal.  Once you pass security, you can reach all flights whether DL or UA.  The only exception to this may be if your flight on DL is originating in the new terminal F (international - not likely)

Can't recommend hotels in area.  Most of the park in fly's on camp creek dr. are competitively priced to each other and efficient.  I would plan 20-30 minutes from parking to drop off at terminal.

I believe typical security wait times at that time of day would be around 30 minutes but I really only know what I hear on local news as I haven't experienced it in person in quite a while.

Good luck!

Carol,

I don't fly too often out of ATL anymore. To answer your first Q - yes you can easily get from Untied counter and DL counter in the terminal.  Once you pass security, you can reach all flights whether DL or UA.  The only exception to this may be if your flight on DL is originating in the new terminal F (international - not likely)

Can't recommend hotels in area.  Most of the park in fly's on camp creek dr. are competitively priced to each other and efficient.  I would plan 20-30 minutes from parking to drop off at terminal.

I believe typical security wait times at that time of day would be around 30 minutes but I really only know what I hear on local news as I haven't experienced it in person in quite a while.

Good luck!

Agree with this... have a safe trip!

Thanks all!! The main question I was wondering if Domestic North and South are connected, so I can get us both checked in.

I've mapped a few things out, and found a hotel that looks like it's less than 1/2 mile from the extended parking, so I'm now confident that a 5am departure from the hotel works.

5 minutes to the parking, 30 minutes to the terminal, 10-20 minutes for check-in and 30 minutes through security, gets me to my gate in plenty of time.

Rick takes extra time and needs help, cause he has to be hand checked cause of all the metal in his knees, back, and now hip, and they have to scan his ECV.

I haven't flown since '95 and never will again.  Too much hassle.  But MANY people still do it.  If I can't get there in my MH, I don't need to go.

I would LOVE to take the camper out to California, but with free airline and free hotel, and limited vacation, I'll have to wait on the dream RV trip.