Is it worth trying to book a 4th FP+ for Illuminations?

I have planned a pretty full day for Epcot.  It would ease things a bit if we weren't rushing to secure a good viewing place for Illuminations, espcially with room for 7 of us.  But, if the FP+ viewing spot isn't that great, I don't want to bother trying to get a FP+ for it.

Opinions?

I have planned a pretty full day for Epcot.  It would ease things a bit if we weren't rushing to secure a good viewing place for Illuminations, espcially with room for 7 of us.  But, if the FP+ viewing spot isn't that great, I don't want to bother trying to get a FP+ for it.

Opinions?

It's located right next to where they have the Sparkling Dessert Party and they pay big bucks for that.

There are still lots of good spots to view Illuminations all around World Showcase, even with a larger group. Best advice - look for trees/islands blocking your view of the middle of the lagoon, and check the wind direction to make sure it's not blowing towards you.

If you can use the 4th FP for something else you're interested in, I'd probably do that.

One more thing- if you use your 4th FP+ for one of the closing shows like Illuminations or Fantasmic, you can't get any other extra FP+'s before that.  I'm not sure how important that is in Epcot, as there probably aren't any good FP+'s available late in the day anyway, but I thought I'd mention it.

TCD

My third FP+ is for Maelstrom and after that we will just be in the World Showcase, so unless we miss something major that we were planning on for the morning, Illuminations would the only thing left we would want a FP+ for.  

I know I should know the answer to this - am I able to book a 4th FP+ using the MDE mobile app, or do I need to go to a kiosk?  

It sounds like I will try to book Illuminations, if available.  Then, if we have time and can find a better viewing area, we will just stick with that, rather than going to the FP+ area.

MDE? In your dreams. You have to go to a kiosk in the park where you want the 4th FP+. They can't make it easy to check. That would expose the scam.

TCD

And of course, there is no kiosk convenient to where I will be in the WS when I exit Maelstrom.  If I am reading the map correctly, the only kiosk in the World Showcase is at the International Gateway. 

I think I am over thinking again.

And of course, there is no kiosk convenient to where I will be in the WS when I exit Maelstrom.  If I am reading the map correctly, the only kiosk in the World Showcase is at the International Gateway. 

I'm a planner but NO. Find a place. We've watched it over the heads of people, and it's just fine. Not worth walking to a kiosk just for a chance. 

You could hop a boat if you have some time to kill, but they're not super speedy.

If it were me I wouldn't use up time just to get the Illuminations FP.  I'd rather grab a snack or drink and stake out a spot along a railing somewhere about 20-30 minutes prior.

You could hop a boat if you have some time to kill, but they're not super speedy.

If it were me I wouldn't use up time just to get the Illuminations FP.  I'd rather grab a snack or drink and stake out a spot along a railing somewhere about 20-30 minutes prior.

Grab a snack?  Got it covered!  We will have bologna sandwiches!!   :jumpforjoy

Grab a snack?  Got it covered!  We will have bologna sandwiches!!   :jumpforjoy

Perfect!

If you stake out a spot along a railing, be sure to have at least a few kids stay right up against it while you're waiting.  I'm always amazed that someone will see 4" in front of you as the show is starting and take that to mean "oh look - a spot for me!"

If you don't feel like camping out along a railing, one place we like that doesn't require you getting up close and personal with dozens of strangers is in the Japan pavilion.  The ground slopes up towards the buildings just enough that if you stand back near them, you can actually see over people's heads quite nicely.

Where ever you decide to watch Illuminations , as Mo said, be sure you are up wind.  If the wind/breeze is blowing in your face so will the smoke from the fireworks.

Don't know if they are still there, but the torches around the lake give a good indication of which way the wind is moving.

Perfect!

If you stake out a spot along a railing, be sure to have at least a few kids stay right up against it while you're waiting.  I'm always amazed that someone will see 4" in front of you as the show is starting and take that to mean "oh look - a spot for me!"

If you don't feel like camping out along a railing, one place we like that doesn't require you getting up close and personal with dozens of strangers is in the Japan pavilion.  The ground slopes up towards the buildings just enough that if you stand back near them, you can actually see over people's heads quite nicely.

Where ever you decide to watch Illuminations , as Mo said, be sure you are up wind.  If the wind/breeze is blowing in your face so will the smoke from the fireworks.

Don't know if they are still there, but the torches around the lake give a good indication of which way the wind is moving.

Y'all are so helpful.  Thank you!!   :heartsmiley:

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I personally checked at an Epcot FP+ kiosk yesterday to see if there was any same-day availability for an Illuminations FP+. 

When I looked on MDE the night before, all tier one options were available for the next day, including Illuminations.

At around 9:50 am, I checked at one of the kiosks, and found that there were no FP+'s available for Illuminations.  This was a not very busy Monday. For that day, no one would have a chance to select Illuminations for their 4th FP+ choice.

TCD

For what it's worth, I personally checked at an Epcot FP+ kiosk yesterday to see if there was any same-day availability for an Illuminations FP+. 

When I looked on MDE the night before, all tier one options were available for the next day, including Illuminations.

At around 9:50 am, I checked at one of the kiosks, and found that there were no FP+'s available for Illuminations.  This was a not very busy Monday. For that day, no one would have a chance to select Illuminations for their 4th FP+ choice.

TCD

Thanks for checking!

I'd go with Mo's suggestion to stand back a bit from the lake near the Japan pavilion and watch from there.  We've done VIP viewing before (came with CP dinner package) and the view was no better than other places we've just stumbled upon, IMO.  

Another decent place we've gotten a good view from without staking out too early is behind the Rose and Crown (go to the right of the restaurant near the Yorkshire fish take out window and back through the garden).  We've been able to sit on the ground there and see fine.