February Trip Question

We will be at the ESPN Sports Complex in February for a Gymnastics competition and are trying to find a good Disney Resort that will not cost too much money.  While we love the Fort I am probably not going to be towing this time since the trip will only be for 4 nights and it is a 10 hour tow for us.  :(

Given this information here are my questions:

1.  We will be staying at the Fort the week of Thanksgiving and I know in the past you can get a discount on future Disney vacations if you book before you check out.  Anyone know what type of discount they might offer?  We are looking at Pop Century since it is close to the ESPN complex and is a value price resort.

2.    Has anyone stayed at Pop Century before?  If so I would appreciate your thoughts on quality of the hotel, rooms, transportation to the parks, etc.

3.  Referring back to question 1 DIsney has a Late Winter package right now where we could book a room at Pop Century for around $130.  This is supposedly $30 off the regular price.  Do you think I would do better with the discount possibly offered in question 1 or with the current Late Winter discount?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

I have no problem staying at Pop. I like their food court (hello nachos!) and the buses don't bother me. That said, the rooms are noisier, you can hear toliets flushing (someone told me to close your bathroom door at night and it helps with the noise from other bathrooms) and the doors close loudly. But we are hardly ever in the room so it doesn't cause enough of an issue to not stay there (for me).

We will be at the ESPN Sports Complex in February for a Gymnastics competition and are trying to find a good Disney Resort that will not cost too much money.  While we love the Fort I am probably not going to be towing this time since the trip will only be for 4 nights and it is a 10 hour tow for us.  :(

Given this information here are my questions:

1.  We will be staying at the Fort the week of Thanksgiving and I know in the past you can get a discount on future Disney vacations if you book before you check out.  Anyone know what type of discount they might offer?  We are looking at Pop Century since it is close to the ESPN complex and is a value price resort.

2.    Has anyone stayed at Pop Century before?  If so I would appreciate your thoughts on quality of the hotel, rooms, transportation to the parks, etc.

3.  Referring back to question 1 DIsney has a Late Winter package right now where we could book a room at Pop Century for around $130.  This is supposedly $30 off the regular price.  Do you think I would do better with the discount possibly offered in question 1 or with the current Late Winter discount?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

1. I'm not sure about this but I'd guess the bounce back offer would be 15% for a Value resort, but they do have limited days.  And does the Fort offer the bounce back offer?

2. I've stayed at the Pop more times than I can count, it was my favorite value resort because of the location.  As far as quality its of the Value Resort quality so not as nice as a Moderate and smaller rooms and lower quality everything, that said though its not too bad.

3. $130 a night seems really really high!  What else do you get with that package??  I think you could get a better deal somewhere else if that's room cost only.  Is that a Peak season stay for some reason?  I would check Orbitz and Travelocity and the Disney Website for specials, also are their any room discounts through the Gymnastics thing?

WBI

1.  The offer you're referring to is called a "Bounceback Offer."  They don't offer this discount to Fort Wilderness campsite guests. They do offer it to cabin guests.

2.  I've stayed at Pop Century many times.  It is a popular resort, and of the same quality of all the other Disney Value resorts.  Like all the Value resorts, it's a busy place, and the rooms are on the small side.  But everything is kept up nicely.

3. Discounts are a tricky thing.  Trying to find one on your own is challenging. The best way to get the best deal is to use a travel agent.  Disney pays their commissions, so it doesn't cost you a thing.  We have a great one, Jason, who is a sponsor of this site. His contact info is on the Sponsor's Page: http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/support-our-site-sponsors-r259.  Have him check on a deal for you.  He will get you the best deal.

TCD

I have no problem staying at Pop. I like their food court (hello nachos!) and the buses don't bother me. That said, the rooms are noisier, you can hear toliets flushing (someone told me to close your bathroom door at night and it helps with the noise from other bathrooms) and the doors close loudly. But we are hardly ever in the room so it doesn't cause enough of an issue to not stay there (for me).

^THIS^

I stayed at POP in May.  It was really just a place to nap as we were there for the 24 hour MK event.

Pretty standard, decent room, but Beckers is right on about the noise.  We were dead tired, so it wasn't an issue.

I'll also second the food court and the nachos!

Thanks to all for the feedback.  We can get a rate of $148 at the All Star resort through the gymnastics event.  I will contact Jason to see if he is able ot find some other discounts.

Jason is the best. He just found me a reservation for next Christmas at the Fort...when Disney showed they had nothing. Jason = awesome.

the rooms are noisier, you can hear toliets flushing (someone told me to close your bathroom door at night and it helps with the noise from other bathrooms) and the doors close loudly.

Pretty standard, decent room, but Beckers is right on about the noise. 

Are y'all saying that Pop is noisier than the other value resorts?

Because that's not something I've ever noticed.  To me, it's the same as any of the All Star resorts.  Same type of buildings.  Same type of rooms.  Same type of pools. 

And, I don't know about these nachos.  I will need to research that.

TCD

Not sure about the other values as I haven't stayed at any others, but I experienced the noise Beckers described too.  We were on the ground floor and we could also hear people passing by talking - and not even loudly.

You should check out those nachos.  They are delicious. They key is that instead of corn chips, they're made with the housemade potato chips.  You can get whatever you want on them - I like the chicken. Yum yum!

14259649131_656e31d3cc_b.jpg

Not sure about the other values as I haven't stayed at any others, but I experienced the noise Beckers described too.  We were on the ground floor and we could also hear people passing by talking - and not even loudly.

You should check out those nachos.  They are delicious. They key is that instead of corn chips, they're made with the housemade potato chips.  You can get whatever you want on them - I like the chicken. Yum yum!

Excuse me, how did I not know this was a thing??????

We stayed at All-Star Movie Resort in '08 and enjoyed it. DD was 4 and thought it was the best.

We've stayed in Values many times. I reality, POP is our least favorite. We prefer All-Star Music.

Also, the rates you are quoting sound about right, especially if it's in the latter part of February. That is PRIME season. The Fort is charging in the 120ish range for full hookup starting mid Feb. So $130ish for a Value room at a discount sounds in the correct range.

I may have to revise my research.  I'm not so sure about those.  Nachos shouldn't be made with potato chips.  And corn? Isn't that a vegetable?  What's that doing there?

TCD

I may have to revise my research.  I'm not so sure about those.  Nachos shouldn't be made with potato chips.  And corn? Isn't that a vegetable?  What's that doing there?

TCD

See "put whatever you want on them" - I like corn.  8)

And while I'm all for corn chips on nachos, the chips are awesome.

Emailed Jason and he can get the same rate as the late winter pricing for the All Star resorts, but I will book through him.  He did tell me about the changes coming to All Star Music food court and that the All Star Sports already has the new food court.  With all the talk of food and the Pood Forn pictures that may sway my decision on which resort to book!!  Honestly though all are close to the ESPN Sports Complex and we will only be in the rooms to sleep.  Will miss my traveling home though. 

I am glad I joined the Fiends as everyone is so helpful!   Thank You.