What kind of sewing machine to buy?

My DD(10) has said several times now that she wants a sewing machine for Christmas.

She wants me to teach her how to sew. Yes I know how to sew. My mother was an upholster before she retired. And I use to help her redo furniture, and a few rv's.

But I digress, do any of you have a suggestion for a good sewing machine for a 10 year old beginner?

Thanks

Ray

I have had a Pfaff for thirty years. It is a good basic machine. Almost completely metal. New or used?

One of INC's machines is a Pfaff....an older model we bought off Craigslist.  Like Susan says, almost all metal construction.  I took it to a Pfaff repair guy who did a tune up and said it's in great shape.  Well built machines.  Not sure how the new ones are.  

I have had a Pfaff for thirty years. It is a good basic machine. Almost completely metal. New or used?

Doesn't matter.

I found this one on craigslist.

"Unused Singer Brilliance 6180 sewing machine. Received as a gift but I already have one. It has 80 built in stitches, automatic threader and several feet and accessories. Normally sells for $150 and up, asking $85 or best offer. Text, call or email if interested."

What do you think?

I have a computerized Singer sewing machine and I really like it, but they can be very tempermental so you need to be patient. They need a very stable, level surface when sewing. You have to thread them just right...sometimes several times before the machine recognizes that you did it right. If you have a good Singer store, I would also take a few lessons just to help learn this machine. There are usually You Tube videos and sewing forums on Yahoo and Facebook that can help with any problems relating to the machine. It looks like it has plenty of good stitches and features to learn how to sew. If you don't like it, you won't have any problems resaling it on Craigslist.

Singer is sold.

But I just checked Walmart.com and they have a few basic models for under $100. And like Carol said. If it can do a straight and zig zag stitch it'll be fine. And down the road, if see really likes sewing, we can buy her a nicer machine.

Don't you think?

Singer is sold.

But I just checked Walmart.com and they have a few basic models for under $100. And like Carol said. If it can do a straight and zig zag stitch it'll be fine. And down the road, if see really likes sewing, we can buy her a nicer machine.

Don't you think?

I wouldn't spend too much on a first machine.  There will be plenty of time and opportunities to get her a fancier machine later if she really likes sewing.  I was about her age when I started sewing out of necessity.  I enjoyed it for awhile, but now I sew as little as possible.

Singer is sold.

Don't you think?

Agree!  I  started with a basic machine a few years back and upgraded once I became more confident.  Go for the cheaper Singer or Brother brand for now and throw in a gift card to your local craft/sewing so she can get started with her own stash!

Singer is sold.

Don't you think?

I think that's a good plan. It's best to learn the basics on something simple. I'm so impressed your daughter wants to learn to sew, mine never showed any interest.

I use Janome machines.  They are really good, however, I use the bejeebers out of mine.  If you can find one used, get it.  They are worth it.  I have some old Kenmore machines for basic work and they are still working after 20 plus years.  They just don't make them like they used to.